PDA

View Full Version : Leftover Q4 and the Heat

lawnspecialties
08-10-2009, 07:52 AM
I have about 30-40 gallons of Q4 still in my tank sprayer from about two weeks ago. We've had some fairly hot days and even today it's supposed to hit around 100.

Will that cause any adverse effects to the mix or can I still spray it later this week? Obviously, I'll spray when temperatures are much lower but I was just concerned about it sitting there in the hot tank for now.

RigglePLC
08-10-2009, 08:31 AM
No one knows. And it is never on the label. And you will not find that info from any university information.

Spray it. Let us know what happens.

I could point out that I had a small amount of liquid weed control, mixed with urea solution in my tank last year. It rode around in the truck for about a week, with temps about 85 in the day. When I used it, it caused a slight burn to the grass. Had to reseed a few spots. When I checked the tank -it had a strong amonia odor. I am thinking there was about 1000 sqft worth of solution trapped in the 300 foot hose. I should have recirculated that into the tank before starting. Of course, it is not legal to dispose of the old solution. Not sure if the herbicide worked ok or not.

SimonCX
08-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Try calling pbi/gordon and see what they say, they would know better then any of us.

RigglePLC
08-10-2009, 08:17 PM
I am meeting with Blaine Pinkerton of Nufarm tomorrow--I will ask him.

lawnspecialties
08-10-2009, 08:19 PM
I am meeting with Blaine Pinkerton of Nufarm tomorrow--I will ask him.

Please let us know what he says.

RigglePLC
08-12-2009, 11:44 PM
The guy from Nufarm was not much help. "We don't make Q4, not our product." Vague answer about how it would be less effective depending on the pH of the water. I asked if it was a problem if the pH was to high or too low. He said neither--it should be in the middle range.

So did you try it? Did it kill the weeds? Kill the grass? Did the fertilizer work?

indyturf
08-12-2009, 11:53 PM
No one knows. And it is never on the label. And you will not find that info from any university information.

Spray it. Let us know what happens.

I could point out that I had a small amount of liquid weed control, mixed with urea solution in my tank last year. It rode around in the truck for about a week, with temps about 85 in the day. When I used it, it caused a slight burn to the grass. Had to reseed a few spots. When I checked the tank -it had a strong amonia odor. I am thinking there was about 1000 sqft worth of solution trapped in the 300 foot hose. I should have recirculated that into the tank before starting. Of course, it is not legal to dispose of the old solution. Not sure if the herbicide worked ok or not.

probably was the urea that caused the burn. it can turn to ammonia in the heat. the Q4 would loose its effectiveness but wouldn't think it would become volatile

Chilehead
08-13-2009, 12:14 AM
I would not apply it if over 90 degrees.

lawnspecialties
08-13-2009, 08:29 AM
I have a customer who now lives in California. I'm just keeping their house here mowed as a favor job, but now it's been on the market for two years and the lawn is really starting to look neglected. They just signed up for full-service maintenance. I'm going to spray the leftover Q4 tomorrow.

If the Q4 cause any problems, I'll be able to repair it next month since I know I'm reseeding it. It can only cause so much problem since the yard is getting so weed infested anyway. Tomorrow will be a cool day so I'll give it a shot. I guess I'll know next week if any adverse effects occur.