PDA

View Full Version : Z-Spray Blower Mount Questions---looking for feedback

ZSpray Info
08-10-2009, 09:24 AM
We are looking for suggestions on a blower attachment for the back of the Z-Spray to remove fertilizer from driveways and sidewalks. Russ Browning from a local lawn care company here in Indianapolis has been patiently waiting for me to finish one for him. The configuration we are looking at would have a hand held blower mounted to one of the rear fert trays. Here are a few questions that would help us out.

1. What brand of hand held blower do you use?

2. What size blower do you use?

3. Would the blower need to be switched from side to side?

4. Would you want a permanent mount or removable?

5. Please list any other suggestions.

Thanks for your input.

Tom Rich

Josh.S
08-10-2009, 12:19 PM
1. What brand of hand held blower do you use?
Stihl

2. What size blower do you use?
Largest handheld (maybe 220)

3. Would the blower need to be switched from side to side?
No

4. Would you want a permanent mount or removable?
Removable if possible --- maybe you could make it so you can swap out the mount and the enclosed spray unit tank w/ recoil hose.

I think what would be the absolutely awesome (and give zspray an even bigger edge) is if you guys made a blower that ran off of the same system the impeller does. You would mount it on the right side and have it blow to the left or vice versa. Also if you had a spot up inside of the machine to mount it you could run a tube (like back pack blowers) to say the right side of the machine and have it curved so it blows in to the left. Then put another knob like for the impeller speed and that would turn up and down the blower. What do you think Tom?

With a system like that we could spread a house then make two trips up and down the drive way, one down the sidewalk, and be done with it. No separate motors or anything to worry about and a HUGE time savings. I haven't really looked on my intermediate to see if there is anywhere to mount something like this though.

One more thing, it would be really awesome if there was notches with settings (numbers) on the speed bar. That way you could set the speed bar all the way up to drive the sprayer to the truck, then set the speed bar back on setting 5.5 or whatever to spray the lawn. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to make?

:weightlifter::weightlifter:

Grandview
08-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Stihl for sure. Electric start. Make it blow to the front of the machine. Easier to guide.

NattyLawn
08-10-2009, 06:58 PM
My suggestion would be a mountable laptop with bag holder that would print invoices and somehow attach them to the customers door.....

I have a feeling we may see some "My Z made me fat" threads next winter.

a plus bob
08-10-2009, 07:05 PM
My suggestion would be a mountable laptop with bag holder that would print invoices and somehow attach them to the customers door.....

I have a feeling we may see some "My Z made me fat" threads next winter.

To late my Z made me fat years ago :laugh::laugh: Andy added the big boy kit to my Z this spring (stiffer springs on the floor board) :p

grassman177
08-10-2009, 08:05 PM
good one, fat boy kit. the blower would be a great option as it is right now, i have a laborer with me all day just to blow off and hang signs in yards while we treat them, that could save money and time for sure. i am not sure the hand helds are powerful enough to do this with any speed, then again i dont use them(only backpack blowers here). are you thinkiing of a carrier rack like the rear fert bins with a slot fore the blower tube to exit but keep it firmly in place? that is what i got from your description and that would be easy enough and cheap. a permanent blower sounds heavy and more weight is not needed with these machines fully loaded, but sounds cool as heck.

rcreech
08-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Tom,

I was looking at adding one a while back and just dropped the idea.

I found that most of the time it was quicker as my second guy would already have everything blown off before I was done with the lawn.

On big areas I just strap my back pack on and GO!

I think it would be an AWESOME add on.

A removable Stihl would be awesome!

Thanks for all that you guys do! You have a ton of people sold on your unit! Keep up the great work!

RC

EVM
08-10-2009, 10:19 PM
I want a flag holder, tee jet pistol holder, receipt canister, and a i Phone holder first.
How bout a quick release specialty tank? Me no like cleaning tanks DUDE! It's a waste of time. Hand held blowers lack the power I need to properly clear lawn edges.

Josh.S
08-10-2009, 10:33 PM
I want a flag holder, tee jet pistol holder, receipt canister, and a i Phone holder first.
How bout a quick release specialty tank? Me no like cleaning tanks DUDE! It's a waste of time. Hand held blowers lack the power I need to properly clear lawn edges.

I need to build a flag holder, but they already have a quick release speciality tank. It will slide right in the fert tray and all you will need to do is hook up the quick release positive cable. When you sit it in the tray it will ground out from that so only need the one wire. It's awesome!

http://by126w.bay126.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=1&messageId=75557838-a86a-4ede-86e7-6c0e727a4419&Aux=44|0|8CBE811B7906BB0|

http://by126w.bay126.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=2&messageId=75557838-a86a-4ede-86e7-6c0e727a4419&Aux=44|0|8CBE811B7906BB0|

EVM
08-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Maybe the speed bar needs to be split so both handles can be set individually. Two sets of four tips on the boom; one set for the specialty tank.

ArTurf
08-11-2009, 12:57 PM
I have only had my Z for a short time but here is what I can add to this question. I have 2 Stihls, a 340 & a 600. I would like a removable mount on or near the front that blew to the side & slightly ahead, adjustable mount for the blower chute to change the angle. I use the blowers for mowing so I would want them easily removable. Velcro or stretch bungeee.

Pythium
08-11-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm with rcreech, I strap on my back pack and blow off drives and walks while on the Z.
I like the speed setting marks idea as well.
Booms that break both ways would be great. (Have clipped them while backing up)
Also, if the spray unit could somehow be tied to ground speed with computer controls. Large spray units have these, you set you GPM and the sprayer adjusts pressure to maintain that GPM rate. more consistent spray results when slowing or turning.
As far as a mounted unit blower, stihl, removable, and somewhere up front.

sprayboy
08-11-2009, 04:43 PM
It would be neat to have a blower made into the machine that was run off the hydraulics, variable speed like the impeller. Some type of chute that you could swing a little to get some angle while driving.

grassman177
08-11-2009, 07:38 PM
this is quickly turning into what we all can think of to make the machine even cooler, though some good ideas here guys! the man asked for ideas to help out on the blower , help him out a bit with at least blower related remarks

Russ
08-11-2009, 08:46 PM
this is quickly turning into what we all can think of to make the machine even cooler, though some good ideas here guys! the man asked for ideas to help out on the blower , help him out a bit with at least blower related remarks
Exactly! I can't be the only guy with HOAs that have a 2K front lawn with a 3 car driveway and a 10K backyard where it takes longer to blow off the driveway than make the application. A mounted blower would save me a mans wages 3 days a week!

EVM
08-11-2009, 08:46 PM
I like the speed setting marks idea as well.
Booms that break both ways would be great. (Have clipped them while backing up)
Also, if the spray unit could somehow be tied to ground speed with computer controls. Large spray units have these, you set you GPM and the sprayer adjusts pressure to maintain that GPM rate. more consistent spray results when slowing or turning

You can scribe the speed bar marks in yourself, works great for me. The Speed/GPM idea is nice!

How about a Z spray cover for the guys that don't keep their units inside a box truck. I keep mine on an open trailer and sometimes in an enclosed trailer, when I see storms rolling in I get all scared; can't get the Z wet!

kmiller23
08-11-2009, 10:45 PM
I use a Stihl BG 86. It is adequate for blowing fertilizer of driveways and sidewalks. Wouldn't want anything smaller. If it was a permanent mount, it would need to be within the current profile of the machine so it wouldn't get hit in close quarters. It would be nice to be able to blow out the front off to one side.

MrMow
08-12-2009, 01:21 AM
1. What brand of hand held blower do you use? Stihl Echo & Shindawa - least favorite to most favorite

2. What size blower do you use? largest backpack available - small just costs time - especially on wide areas - driveways & streets - the bigger the better

3. Would the blower need to be switched from side to side? Yes - left right forward & down - buffalo turbine has this idea figured out but it rotates to slow for what we want it to do. We would need to move the nozzle quick just like a back pack. At the least make it forward & to one side.

4. Would you want a permanent mount or removable?Permanent is fine unless you can create a universal mount for my present blower. If it's permanent the mow crews won't take my blower.

I think it's a great idea. I don't have an extra guy just for blowing. I have a lot of HOA properties with sidewalk paths etc that just can't be avoided. We use the deflector shield some cautiously - it dumps too much fert in one strip

The quick disconnect changeable tank sounds like a good idea. We have an intermediate and cold make the rear tanks switchable. Could carry various concoctions instead of multiple hand cans.

Create a better deflector or a more accurate way to only spread to one side.

OK and for the final lazy man "my Z made me fat" suggestion - a seat or sit on model. (now putting on my flame proof suit)

Thanks for listening - the mark of a good company!
Great machines! - keep up the good work.

heathbar0
08-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Tom!

Your machine is perfect...But if you would like to make it better.

We use the Echo hand helds..I think these may be the most common because they are the most reliable.

I can see no reason to make this device switchable or removable...Your machine turns on a dime, so... go up one side of the drive and blow, and then go back down the other...

I wonder if there is a way to incorporate it with the engine or hydraulics.

Hook up a blower to the engine then - make a lever to make it blow down when you want to clean the drive and walks, the lift up the lever to point it up to cool off the tech on hot summer days. Not need for a switch, on/off...more things to break.

The removable tank: we use a hand can.

Cutler

Snowy66
01-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Anybody hear anymore about the mount? I'm thinking about making my own to carry my Stihl handheld.

grassman177
01-27-2011, 11:03 PM
hey lone oak, i have been meaning to contact you. can you pm me your number? i have some questions reguarding a dif subject.

but about your question, i have not heard anything.