PDA

View Full Version : Removing and replacing sod

lady jane
08-10-2009, 10:59 AM
I have av=bout 800 sq ft of sod that I need to remove and replace. I can easily get to the areas with minimal problems. I would have to rent a sod cutter. I figure 3 yards of top soil to spread under the sod. I have a disposal area available for free. I have to transport the materials about 500 yards and have the equipment to do this. If I did this with two men about how many man hours do you think this should take? Anybody's help would be appriciated.
Thank you. Lady Jane.:confused;:drinkup:

Whitey4
08-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Unless it's a rush job, I would kill the existing turf (roundup) wait two weeks, dethatch, remove debris and dethatch one or two more times, the last pass going very deeply. Top dress, and lay. Less labor, no sod cutter rental, IF you have a dethacther and a lot of the leftover organic material will improve soil health and fertility.

sven1277
08-12-2009, 12:53 PM
If you used a good rototiller instead of a sod cutter, you would loosen the soil which would be great for root development on the new sod. Also, as long as the existing soil is decent, no need for adding. The downside is it will take longer to rake out the broken up sod clumps. A combination of steel and metal leaf rakes would do a good job. I think 2 guys hustling could complete the job in a day.

ACA L&L
08-13-2009, 12:47 AM
2 guys one day tops. we did two removals and installs in 1 1/2 days with waiting 2 hours for sod truck to deliver the sod. One lawn was 400 sq ft ,the other was about 600. They were about 10 miles apart. sod cutter, rototiller, soil amendments, minor sprinkler repair to insure correct coverage. And depending on why your removing the old sod, rototilling the sod into the soil is not a good idea. Whats wrong with existing sod?