PDA

View Full Version : Bury old driveway problems?

kingcire
08-10-2009, 02:42 PM
I am getting mixed results from 3 different people I got advice for my driveway. Over a period of 20 years my driveway has sunk about a foot or so and I decided to just lay dirt and some gravel on top. Now I am ready to get someone to pour some concrete to make a sturdier driveway. I asked a few people and here is the top 3 things I was told.

1. If the original drive way had a few cracks in it then the new driveway will be fine.

2. You need to take up all that dirt/gravel and crack up that entire driveway then put the dirt back on top.

3. You need to take all of that old drive way completely out.

So I am confused on what to do. The driveway is 17ft by 22ft. If I do not rip out or crack up the old driveway what is the worse that can happen?

NewHorizon's Land
08-10-2009, 03:21 PM
The new driveway could sink if the base is not installed properly.

Bru75
08-10-2009, 05:59 PM
You definitely don't want dirt fill under your new driveway. I can't say for sure that the old driveway must come out, but it probably should. Then the base should be installed using compacted gravel, with your new concrete on top.

grandview (2006)
08-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Just start fresh from the base up and it will be good for another 20 years.

DVS Hardscaper
08-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Not so sure you need to go the concrete route.

I have a long time, old buddy that owns an asphalt driveway company.

Here is what I have learned from him:

If the existing driveway is cracked, settled, and in bad shape; you need to take it up and start over.

If you want it to last 20(+) years -

Remove all the asphalt.

Install the base. Around 6-8 inches AFTER compaction.

Use a 1.5" crusher run. Different areas have different names.

Many asphalt contractors say they do a 4" layer of asphalt. Thats 2 inches of base and 2 inches of top coat. You need 4 inches of base and no less than 2 inches of top coat....after compaction.

Stay away from a contractor that has a dinky little roller. Those guys are gypsies.

PlatinumLandCon
08-10-2009, 09:16 PM
After compaction is key for asphalt guys. Make sure its 4+" before compaction for both layers. I would dig down to the orig base, add a large stone crusher run base layer like DVS said, then maybe 2" 3/4" CR top gravel layer to level. Geotex is also cheap insurance.

Isobel
08-10-2009, 10:12 PM
So I am confused on what to do. The driveway is 17ft by 22ft. If I do not rip out or crack up the old driveway what is the worse that can happen?

the worse that can happen is the new driveway sinks just like the old one did.

Spend the money, rip out everything, and start fresh. That way you're sure that nothing underneath is going to sink.