PDA

View Full Version : Please critque my flyer

ohiogreenworks
08-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Here is my first draft of a flyer I will be putting out this fall. I know it has a lot of info but I kind of have a lot to say with this kind of deal. Either way let me know what you think looking for some feedback. Like I said this is just the first draft. Thanks!

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww29/spyder3634/flyer.jpg

grandview (2006)
08-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Nice. What happens if they blow you off next year? Do you have a plan to get the money from the fall clean up?

LouisianaLawnboy
08-10-2009, 07:21 PM
That looks awesome. Do you mind if I copy it?
Posted via Mobile Device

ohiogreenworks
08-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Well I was hoping to have them sign a service agreement agreeing to next year's service, but I agree with you that is my biggest concern. Also, when we go out to estimate the fall cleanup we will try to read the customer and hopefully get a vibe on whether or not they plan on getting something for half price or really want service for next year.

And you can copy it all you want as long as you stay down there :laugh:

grandview (2006)
08-10-2009, 08:19 PM
What about giving a some kind of credit for next year equal to the discount? This way they will have to stay with you or pay full price .

THC
08-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Hey your logo looks like a Canadian flag:canadaflag:

LouisianaLawnboy
08-10-2009, 08:27 PM
What about giving a some kind of credit for next year equal to the discount? This way they will have to stay with you or pay full price .

Good idea. That half off could apply to the first month of the contract.
Posted via Mobile Device

grandview (2006)
08-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Good idea. That half off could apply to the first month of the contract.
Posted via Mobile Device

Or prorate it for a couple of months.

bohiaa
08-10-2009, 08:42 PM
LOOKS GREAT....

It's ALIVE.... it simply makes me WANT TO READ IT.....

WAY TO GO....

let us know how well it does....

ohiogreenworks
08-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! I am still trying to figure out how to make it all work with the discount and still getting the customers for next year. But I appreciate any comments keep em coming!!!

THC
08-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Yeah I agree it looks very nice but I don't like the deal your offering. I've had similar experience when I advertise in the spring for power raking/ cleanups, I would try and talk these people into weekly mowing but almost all of them cut the grass themselves. They just want the bull work done. If they did have a lawn company I obviously wouldn't be called because they would be doing the work... took me years to figure that out :laugh: Now I don't bother.

I guess the point I'm making, which might not even be a good point, is you might alienate the majority of customers who just want a fall clean up and not a weekly service.

ohiogreenworks
08-10-2009, 09:25 PM
I understand your point and it is a good one. I think with this deal our main customer base that we are trying to get are the ones that are not happy with their service or need a fall cleanup and are not set for next year. I feel like people kind of want something now and are willing to give up something (next year's service) for a deal now. I really can't tell you how it will turn out but it can't hurt I guess..

I appreciate your comments that is what I am looking for. Just need some feedback on this idea/flyer. Thanks!!

sdk1959
08-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Let me ask you something. If a customer you just met while cutting a lawn next door asked you for a 50% discount on a fall clean-up with the "promise" of using you for thier lawn service next year would you give the discount?

Most LCO's on this forum would say no, and rightfully so. Rule of thumb in business- never give a give a discount BEFORE the customer has spent money with you.

We've all heard that ole' line in any business "if you give me a big discount now I will refer you and get you so much future business". Future business does not pay the bills.

First, flyer's are so yesterday. Door-hangers with a cut-out for your business card with the words underneath "save our card, call us when you need us" is what works. I've tried it in 3 types of businesses and it WORKS. People will throw your card in their wallet or sock drawer and save it. So not only do you get calls right away but also you'll get people calling you up to 3-4 years later. I kid you not!

I would also look into promoting leaf mulch lawn cuts vs labor intensive leaf collection and removal. But you have to start promoting it early, like September because if too many leaves have fallen in a thick layer it can't be effectively mulched. Charge about the same or a little more as you would for lawn service. Start with your current customers.

With leaf collection and removal most people will want to wait until all their leaves have fallen before requesting a fall clean-up. A good-sized property with a lot of mature trees over 100' could easily take up to 20 man hours or more for a fall clean-up when you figure in travel time to the dump. If you give the customer a $700 or more estimate it's major sticker shock but that's what your going to have to charge them. Weekly mulch cuts go over much easier.

Good luck in the Fall.

Redcloud35
08-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Looks Great, makes me want to sign up.:)

ohiogreenworks
08-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Let me ask you something. If a customer you just met while cutting a lawn next door asked you for a 50% discount on a fall clean-up with the "promise" of using you for thier lawn service next year would you give the discount?

Most LCO's on this forum would say no, and rightfully so. Rule of thumb in business- never give a give a discount BEFORE the customer has spent money with you.

We've all heard that ole' line in any business "if you give me a big discount now I will refer you and get you so much future business". Future business does not pay the bills.

First, flyer's are so yesterday. Door-hangers with a cut-out for your business card with the words underneath "save our card, call us when you need us" is what works. I've tried it in 3 types of businesses and it WORKS. People will throw your card in their wallet or sock drawer and save it. So not only do you get calls right away but also you'll get people calling you up to 3-4 years later. I kid you not!

I would also look into promoting leaf mulch lawn cuts vs labor intensive leaf collection and removal. But you have to start promoting it early, like September because if too many leaves have fallen in a thick layer it can't be effectively mulched. Charge about the same or a little more as you would for lawn service. Start with your current customers.

With leaf collection and removal most people will want to wait until all their leaves have fallen before requesting a fall clean-up. A good-sized property with a lot of mature trees over 100' could easily take up to 20 man hours or more for a fall clean-up when you figure in travel time to the dump. If you give the customer a $700 or more estimate it's major sticker shock but that's what your going to have to charge them. Weekly mulch cuts go over much easier.

Good luck in the Fall.

Thank you very much for your advice, I really appreciate it!

To answer your question, I am not sure. I agree with you but I also feel like people, especially around here, want something immediate in return for something in the future. If they feel like they are getting a deal, then they are interested. Who isn't looking for some kind of deal? I know this is not your everyday flyer and I do not want it to be. I wanted something to grab attention and maybe just gain 30-40 customers. But I see what you are saying and I am still not set on what we are trying to do.

I have thought about door hangers and agree but I feel like I have an awful lot of info to convey thru a door hanger. This flyer would most likely be put out with a paper pad and pen with name and logo on it, in a bag and hung on doors. A local guy around here did that a year ago and it worked awesome for him. We actually use the pad of paper still! Of course we will hit different neighborhoods than he did.

I like the idea of giving out the card, in fact we will probably include a card or two in the bag, just to try to get our name out.

All of this is just to try and get 30-40 new customers for next year. Whatever we have to/need to do to achieve that is what we will do.

Anyway, I love the feedback keep the ideas coming!!! :)

the ace
08-10-2009, 11:17 PM
I think you're setting yourself up for taking it up the tailpipe! Forget the gimmicks, do a nice job for a fair price, you'll have more work than you can handle. By the way, you can start mowing mine next year right after I get that 50% off my clean up.:rolleyes:

THC
08-11-2009, 12:53 AM
I feel like I have an awful lot of info to convey thru a door hanger. This flyer would most likely be put out with a paper pad and pen with name and logo on it, in a bag and hung on doors. A local guy around here did that a year ago and it worked awesome for him. We actually use the pad of paper still! Of course we will hit different neighborhoods than he did.

I've been toying with an Idea I heard a while back, to design the flyer to get people to look at a website. Then use a superb website as an active, ever changing flyer itself.

I like the idea of giving out the card, in fact we will probably include a card or two in the bag, just to try to get our name out.

Have you read a book called Greatest Salesman in the World by Joe Girard? I guess he's in the Guiness book of world records for selling the most cars anyway, he talks a lot about giving out cards. Not something I would do (because I'm a little sheepish) but he would send a card out every months to every one who ever bought a card from him. Different colours, different and odd shaped envelopes and NICE cards. Each one had a very soft sell like "If you need any help" or something like that, and a simple message like " I like You".
I guess this was VERY successful and he almost never lost a customer and people would stand in line and make appointments with him to buy a car from Joe Gerard.

EDIT: oh crap, you were talking about business cards, I'm talking about greeting cards:laugh: *must work on comprehension.

edit2: one other thing I just noticed is that if your existing customers see this deal they might get choked that they have to pay full price.

g21
08-11-2009, 05:49 PM
I agree with making the customer pay for the fall cleanup, but credit the customer immediately in the spring if they activate the summer program. The flyer looks great. My only suggestion would maybe getting a fall-like photo maybe of a crew doing leaves. But it's great!

mtchockey30
08-11-2009, 06:28 PM
I might advertise the 50% off howerver, they still have to pay full price but get the 50% off their first couple bills. looks good

ohiogreenworks
08-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Ok guys draft number 2. I like what you guys are saying a lot better. Let me know what you think!

Also anyone that wants to use it can, but please do not use the picture I have on there. It is a customers house and only I have permission to use it. Thank you and good luck!

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww29/spyder3634/flyer3.jpg

THC
08-11-2009, 07:53 PM
That's much slicker but I guess you'd have to keep in mind what one of the earlier posters was saying about very expensive clean ups. I think his example was a $700 clean up, then you'd own them $350 off their lawn mowing...That's a lot to pay for a customer but it is an extreme example.

I'm on the fence. 50% is definitely an eye catcher but maybe too generous. I hope it works for you and you report back with an update. I see you do snow (so do I) will you be trying to snag them as residential snow customers as well?

ohiogreenworks
08-11-2009, 08:48 PM
That's much slicker but I guess you'd have to keep in mind what one of the earlier posters was saying about very expensive clean ups. I think his example was a $700 clean up, then you'd own them $350 off their lawn mowing...That's a lot to pay for a customer but it is an extreme example.

I'm on the fence. 50% is definitely an eye catcher but maybe too generous. I hope it works for you and you report back with an update. I see you do snow (so do I) will you be trying to snag them as residential snow customers as well?

Ya I thought about the expensive cleanups that is acutually why I made it 3 invoices instead of just the first one. But I guess 50% is 50% I will be losing it somewhere lol! I will keep it updated for sure!

As for snow, we are trying to go to chicago this winter. We have two setups and are not connected here with contracts and such. All of our accounts we have now we do not plow for. If any of the customers we pick up from this flyer want snow we will probably have to sub it out (with their approval of course). But our goal is to stay in chi-town for the winter just because of the volume of snow they get. Plus we have a free place to stay! :cool2:

STIHL GUY
08-11-2009, 10:43 PM
looks good. do you mark up the estimate to make more money after you take 50% off or is it truly 50% off?

ohiogreenworks
08-12-2009, 09:43 AM
looks good. do you mark up the estimate to make more money after you take 50% off or is it truly 50% off?

Thought about that and I think I will give a little bit higher estimate than I normally would but not outrageous. I will be losing money on the deal but hopefully making it up by picking up customers that are good and upselling them items throughout next year. :)

ohiogreenworks
08-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Had an idea today and re worked the flyer a little. What does everyone think about something like this? My thinking was that it may cater to both those that want a "fall cleanup" more than once and those that really do not care and just want a one time deal.

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww29/spyder3634/cleanupflyeroptions.jpg

ohiogreenworks
08-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Worked up a logo really fast, let me know what you think!

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww29/spyder3634/flyerwithlogo.jpg

THC
08-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Those black digits with green border are hard on my eyes, maybe it looks better once it's printed out...Those white letters with black borders too. Maybe it the border was much thinner.

THC
08-12-2009, 07:13 PM
This is a flyer I designed a couple years ago, I put out 30k but it didn't do well, even compared to some of my really ugly flyers that were black and white. I think it was because there was TOO MUCH writing and the entire page was full.

I've read books on design and there's a lot to be said for wide open spaces and a minimum amount of words. Keep the message simple. But I always like to fill up the page but it's not always a good Idea. If I find a jpeg of my most successful flyer I'll post it too, that one is in full colour. This one is two colour (obviously).

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/Northern_Lawns/flyer.jpg

THC
08-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Here, this is my best and most successful flyer. I target specific neighbourhoods with it. I actually have priced these houses and have them in a file.

I do a merge to print their addresses and prices in the blank spaces on the flyer with a colour lazer printer, then I have it cut into thirds. (I'm buying my own cutter now) expensive to distribute though, I have to hire day labour and baby sit them all day while they deliver them to the proper addresses.

I print these on 67lb cover stock so they are like post cards. I also use variations such as snow clearing etc. Was thinking of doing the same with Lawn Care next spring.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/Northern_Lawns/fallflyer.jpg

ohiogreenworks
08-12-2009, 10:56 PM
THC, thank you very much for the help!

I like your examples. They are clear and to the point, I also really like the idea of giving an "estimate" with the cards I have thought about doing that with lawn care. Seeing a yard that needs help and dropping one off...

I am going to try to rework the logo a bit. Now that I look at it, it is hard to read kinda. I just wanted it to stand out and grab attention. I also agree with you on too much info and I was worried about that but I feel like I have so much info to convey on this flyer. Oh well, guess if it works it works lol. I will redesign it a little and take out some of the repetitive words and see what you think. Thanks! :)

sdk1959
08-12-2009, 11:12 PM
There's a typo in your flyer, I think you meant to say 5 weekly cuts starting the 2nd week of October to the 1st week in December.

THC
08-12-2009, 11:28 PM
I am going to try to rework the logo a bit. Now that I look at it, it is hard to read
I did like the font of Green Works, it's pretty nice.

In case anyone is interested, this is my favourite book for design. I keep it next to me when I'm trying come up with ideas for flyers. But basically, I end up stealing whatever I can from the book itself.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321193857/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

ohiogreenworks
08-13-2009, 08:22 AM
There's a typo in your flyer, I think you meant to say 5 weekly cuts starting the 2nd week of October to the 1st week in December.

That would be 5 bi-weekly cuts. I was kinda tryin to figure out when I should stop cutting so I just guessed the first week in November, but I am not sure. :)

ohiogreenworks
08-13-2009, 08:23 AM
I did like the font of Green Works, it's pretty nice.

In case anyone is interested, this is my favourite book for design. I keep it next to me when I'm trying come up with ideas for flyers. But basically, I end up stealing whatever I can from the book itself.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321193857/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

Thanks for the link!

Stillwater
08-13-2009, 11:04 AM
This is one of the better flyers out their, Sweet looking, clear, easy to read, understandable terms, you should generate a flush of intrest from that.

ohiogreenworks
08-13-2009, 10:42 PM
New version, my friend went over it and we changed a few things...

thanks for the reply stillwater, i appreciate it!

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww29/spyder3634/flyer4.jpg

THC
08-14-2009, 12:38 AM
Commercial is spelled wrong.

Stillwater
08-14-2009, 01:38 AM
I found 6 spelling errors on the whitehouse website

ohiogreenworks
08-14-2009, 06:58 AM
lol thanks thc.

and that is not surprising stillwater...lol

jada86
08-14-2009, 07:29 AM
It looks good, except I might change the font of the details of the offer to something more similar to headlines. Just might make it look more "clean". Nice layout!

medic4x4
08-19-2009, 07:06 PM
LouisianaLawnboy has it right. When i offer deals, I subtract it from their final bill at the end of the season. i have a program i list it on the statement dated Oct 31, with a pending credit memo that posts on that date so they see the credit coming.

I advertise free spring cleanup with a full contract or without I discount it from the final bill. This way you don't risk not having them back with you and working for free. if they stick you, it cost more to goto court in Ny then walk away. i don't work for free. think before you so anything for free. Verbal agreements are nice and written can be broken. think wise! just some NY advise!

ohiogreenworks
08-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the advice! I like the way you offer your deals. I am wondering though about giving the discount to far ahead? Like if I give the fall clean this fall and do not give them a credit til next fall? Might not seem very desirable. I think this will work because they will all be signing agreements (contracts). I can give them the discount first thing next year but they still are in contract for the whole year.

Here is my latest version, thanks to Casey (taterlawn) for the logo!!

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww29/spyder3634/finalflyer.jpg

LouisianaLawnboy
08-20-2009, 01:21 AM
If they sign a contract, give them whatever discount on the 1st month.

Stillwater
08-20-2009, 02:00 AM
If they sign a contract, give them whatever discount on the 1st month.

The tiny problem with that is res. lawn maint. contracts are nonbinding and unenforceable.

Gregg1987
08-20-2009, 02:15 AM
Very nice flyer it grabs your attention is easy to read and flows well. well done :)

topsites
08-20-2009, 02:40 AM
I wouldn't offer discounts on leaf cleanups, all you have to do is SAY that you do them and you should have plenty of work.
I'm serious, it's not the discount I'm against, but I'd offer it on something else.

Although I do like your idea on the twist towards 2010 services, very nice.
And it might work like that, I guess I'm just not real hip towards leaves lol

Anyhow, overall a nice flyer, good luck.