PDA

View Full Version : handheld or backpack?

KuttinKyle
08-10-2009, 11:38 PM
im 15 years old, i currently have about 10 weekly accounts..i use a ryobi handheld blower currently. i would like a blower with a little more power for next season. should i get a backpack? and if yes what should i get? i really like echos because i have an echo trimmer. i dont have a ton of cash to spend as i buy everything myself. advice is appreciated.

mowerdude777
08-10-2009, 11:40 PM
I hav 10 accounts as well, I have a bp and handheld, I like the bp a lot, it is nice after a long day compared to a handheld, but I would go for a bp if I were you then keep the handheld as a spare

KuttinKyle
08-10-2009, 11:41 PM
what kind of bp do you have?

mowerdude777
08-10-2009, 11:43 PM
I had a echo pb265l( liked it) it got stolen, now I have a kaw krb300( good blower) It was only 200 out the door, I think it is a good blower for my use

golfnpreacher
08-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Not knowing what kind and size the accounts you have are makes it difficult to suggest a response.

If the blower you have is working, why are you considering replacing it? Will the replacement help you do your job quicker? Will you save enough time to justify the cost?

I currently have 20 accounts which is about all I can fit into my work schedule. But I still use a hand held blower. It's 5 years old, but starts on the first or second pull every time. It doesn't blow 175 mph, but it does get the grass and debris off the drive and walks. What little time I would save with a backpack blower, I would lose by having to put it on and take it off.

If you think you're going to impress people because you have this "cool" blower, impress them with the size of your bank account and save the money until you HAVE TO get another blower.

KuttinKyle
08-10-2009, 11:49 PM
thanks. is yours a tube throttle? thats what i would like.

mowerdude777
08-10-2009, 11:56 PM
thanks. is yours a tube throttle? thats what i would like.

my kaw is, my echo was not, I personaly like the throtle on the left sinde I am left handed

08-11-2009, 12:05 AM
I like the BP models. They have enough power that you can actually cut down on edging just using the blower. No ****! on sidewalks that are overgrown, a BP blower can blow all the dirt and thatch off and you can find the edge of the sidewalk again, much quicker and cleaner then using an edger. Granted its not a replacement, but for customers that wont pay for edging, you can still make the sidewalk look a lot better with just a couple minutes of blowing.

Oh and Tube trottle is the only way to go.

STIHL GUY
08-11-2009, 12:12 AM
i wouldnt use anything but a backpack blower

redmax fan
08-11-2009, 12:23 AM
- powerful backies allow you to really clean an accounts place up making a big difference for the customer when they walk out and see every nook and cranny of their yard and home all nice and clean

- wait to buy til winter because prices go down then

- if have sears by you keep checking them out for sales on husqvarna backies in winter because i got an excellent one for my home with a kawasaki motor on it (motors great) on sale for 200

- check like craigslist looking for homeowners selling a backie , they wouldnt have used it very much . plus a backie motor doesnt get beat up because it doesnt push anything but a fan blade . so i wouldnt be super afraid to buy a used one from a homeowner . but wouldnt buy one from a lawn care guy

- to me tube throttles are lame , ive better control / flexibility of the tube without the throttle on it making it bulky

Cuttinitclose
08-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Check out my thread as i ask the same exact question and i am in the same boat is you. It was called "Do I really need a backpack" or something close.

KuttinKyle
08-11-2009, 02:35 PM
thanks guys, the reason i would like to replace my handheld is bc i could use more power too. in the fall blowing wet leaves into a pile would take minutes. i have a lot of customers too that dont pay for edging, enough power would make it look better, and reduce time.

STIHL GUY
08-11-2009, 10:48 PM
you will really be ghlad you got a BP blower during the fall cleanups.

tinman
08-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Handhelds are much cheaper (2 for one BP) so it depends on how much blowing off you do. If you have more time than money keep the handheld. If not then get a BP good luck

THSG
08-13-2009, 12:21 PM
I would go with a handheld. I am 16 this is my first real season. I have about 25 weekly accounts. I started out with a cheap Craftsman handheld blower. Then midseason I bought a Stihl Bg86 blower. I also ran an echo at the dealer. I liked the Stihl way better plus i got a $10 discount because the guy rang it up wrong and gave me the benefit. It has plenty of power and i think a bp blower is just overkill for now.

KuttinKyle
08-13-2009, 09:43 PM
whats the most powerful handheld stihl makes?

mowerdude777
08-13-2009, 09:44 PM
whats the most powerful handheld stihl makes?

Bg 86 I belive, I have the bg 55(only paid 130) and love it to peices

TheUfan
08-13-2009, 10:01 PM
i wouldnt use anything but a backpack blower

I agree 100%. When I see an LCO blowing off a concrete driveway with a handheld I think why didnt he spend the extra 50$ and get the low model backpack. I can't think of any instances other than affordability for newbies, a homeowner, or a weekender with less than 5 accounts where one should use a handheld. BP save time and money. If your going to get one and your serious about mowing save for a stihl 600 or maybe a shindy 802. These are the best overall choices for most people who have a solid dealer that sells these brands. Echo makes a good product but for the money stihl makes a better, lighter, more powerful and less expensive blower. Not too mention if you buy the smaller model and leaf season comes you will curse the smaller model and wish you bought the big boy.

mowerdude777
08-13-2009, 10:50 PM
I agree 100%. When I see an LCO blowing off a concrete driveway with a handheld I think why didnt he spend the extra 50$ and get the low model backpack. I can't think of any instances other than affordability for newbies, a homeowner, or a weekender with less than 5 accounts where one should use a handheld. BP save time and money. If your going to get one and your serious about mowing save for a stihl 600 or maybe a shindy 802. These are the best overall choices for most people who have a solid dealer that sells these brands. Echo makes a good product but for the money stihl makes a better, lighter, more powerful and less expensive blower. Not too mention if you buy the smaller model and leaf season comes you will curse the smaller model and wish you bought the big boy.

If it is a good hand held blower stihl, shiny, rmax ect I could care less, when it is a hack n wack usin a homolite I get anoyed

TheUfan
08-13-2009, 11:04 PM
If it is a good hand held blower stihl, shiny, rmax ect I could care less, when it is a hack n wack usin a homolite I get anoyed

That's offensively hilarious.

mowerdude777
08-13-2009, 11:14 PM
That's offensively hilarious.

I meant to put it this way, IF you have a good company, I could care less if you have a hand held or bp, as long as it is high end resi or commercial, but the hack n wacks or Low ballers piss me off enough as it is but when they use homolite, crapsman, etc I get even more pissed to see such torture to that poor blower:laugh::laugh: Even I have one of those pos blowers ( as a spare only, if we despreatly need a blower) they just will not last in a high use setting

rthomas
11-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

bobcat48
11-15-2009, 06:46 PM
backpack more power