PDA

View Full Version : Winter question??

coqui landscaping
08-11-2009, 02:48 AM
Hey guys, this is my first yr in the business and i love it, i dont care what nobody says now i just wanted to ask

What did you guys do during the winter after your FIRST season??

also what do you guys suggest that i do to better my business during the winter months ?? ( i know you guys dont know my situation but i am just trying to get some info on your experiences after your FIRST season during the winter)

Stillwater
08-11-2009, 03:51 AM
plow, sand, play...

if you want to do more than mow and you are serious about this as a heart attack you will have little free time if any......

1)write a business plan
2)study the industry,
3)study business management,
4)study tree care
5)study for pest lic
6)get your hard scape certs
7)study for hydraulics lic.
8)do not spend money
9)study plant identification and care
10)study turf grass identification
11)get more accounts

SangerLawn
08-11-2009, 07:39 AM
On your first winter you are probably going to have to get a job so you can have some income. More then likely you didn’t have enough accounts to get money saved for winter. When your not working do little things like repack trailer wheel bearings, replace wood floors on trailer, tune ups on all equipment, ect.

bohiaa
08-11-2009, 08:49 AM
vacation............

LawnGuy73
08-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Plowed snow, just like every year before my first season, and every year since my first season.

coqui landscaping
08-11-2009, 09:34 PM
plow, sand, play...

If you want to do more than mow and you are serious about this as a heart attack you will have little free time if any......

1)write a business plan
2)study the industry,
3)study business management,
4)study tree care
5)study for pest lic
6)get your hard scape certs
7)study for hydraulics lic.
8)do not spend money
9)study plant identification and care
10)study turf grass identification
11)get more accounts

thats exactly what i had in mind all good things man

JB1
08-11-2009, 09:56 PM
put on weight.

STIHL GUY
08-11-2009, 10:34 PM
snow work on equipment and make a plan to better your busisness for the following year

coqui landscaping
08-13-2009, 12:36 AM
snow work on equipment and make a plan to better your busisness for the following year

i hear that man

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-14-2009, 01:36 AM
Take some time away from it after you have winterized your equipment. Thanksgiving to Christmas is a good time for that. If anything, you may want to call up some potential commercial business at this time of year to see when they accept bids. Otherwise, get away from it, don't burn yourself out. After Christmas, do some studying to become more knowledgable about what you are doing. Take a class. Get your Comml Pest Appl lic.
Start to update your biz plan incl. a 1, 3, and 5 year vision. Do some equipment research, plenty of time for that. Winter is hard, you want so badly to get back out there but you have to wait, wait, wait.

I don't plow snow, nada interest in it. Will work some night hours at our local groc. store this winter but when I get my gross up there, will probably just take winters off and be daddy day care for our kids.

coqui landscaping
08-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Take some time away from it after you have winterized your equipment. Thanksgiving to Christmas is a good time for that. If anything, you may want to call up some potential commercial business at this time of year to see when they accept bids. Otherwise, get away from it, don't burn yourself out. After Christmas, do some studying to become more knowledgable about what you are doing. Take a class. Get your Comml Pest Appl lic.
Start to update your biz plan incl. a 1, 3, and 5 year vision. Do some equipment research, plenty of time for that. Winter is hard, you want so badly to get back out there but you have to wait, wait, wait.

I don't plow snow, nada interest in it. Will work some night hours at our local groc. store this winter but when I get my gross up there, will probably just take winters off and be daddy day care for our kids.

good stuff

mowerbrad
08-15-2009, 12:30 AM
Plowing is a huge business here, so long as there is plenty of snow to plow. For your customers, it is nice that they just have to call one company for their lawn care and snow plowing. Plowing is also a great way to possibly get some more mowing accounts. Just a thought, you might want to look into doing salting/sanding in the winter and not snowplowing. There are alot of guys that contract out the salting as they don't want to mess with that stuff. That would have less initial investment than plowing, just get a good tailgate spreader and your good to go.

But for your first year you actually might want to take time off from working and like others said study up on a few things. Try and get your applicator's license and take a few classes that may help grow your business.

Or you could just plain be lazy and use the time off as "vacation" and just do prep work for the next season.

SangerLawn
08-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Plowing is a huge business here, so long as there is plenty of snow to plow. For your customers, it is nice that they just have to call one company for their lawn care and snow plowing. Plowing is also a great way to possibly get some more mowing accounts. Just a thought, you might want to look into doing salting/sanding in the winter and not snowplowing. There are alot of guys that contract out the salting as they don't want to mess with that stuff. That would have less initial investment than plowing, just get a good tailgate spreader and your good to go.

But for your first year you actually might want to take time off from working and like others said study up on a few things. Try and get your applicator's license and take a few classes that may help grow your business.

Or you could just plain be lazy and use the time off as "vacation" and just do prep work for the next season.

Last winter when you guys were getting nailed with all that snow we weren’t getting any here. I decided to go to your area to make some money. I packed up the snow blower, loaded with salt, and hooked up the plow. It took me 6 hours to make it to Michigan from here. When I got there you had 3 foot of Lake Affect snow and it stopped snowing about 3 hours before I got there. I was in total shock that everything was cleaned up already!!! I mean everything! I couldn’t even find a personal driveway to clean. :cry:

You Michigan boys are way too good for me. This year ill stay home and pray for more snow :dizzy:

Stillwater
08-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Last winter when you guys were getting nailed with all that snow we weren’t getting any here. I decided to go to your area to make some money. I packed up the snow blower, loaded with salt, and hooked up the plow. It took me 6 hours to make it to Michigan from here. When I got there you had 3 foot of Lake Affect snow and it stopped snowing about 3 hours before I got there. I was in total shock that everything was cleaned up already!!! I mean everything! I couldn’t even find a personal driveway to clean. :cry:

You Michigan boys are way too good for me. This year ill stay home and pray for more snow :dizzy:

That just totaly blows........

mowerbrad
08-15-2009, 12:53 PM

I always sub out my plowing to one of my friends that works at the fire dept with me. I've started to think about doing salting though as there is some pretty good money in that. Only reason why driveways are cleaned up so fast is because of all the plowing companies around, so many guys do it.

stevenf
08-15-2009, 01:06 PM
My first winter I didnt do anything. My second winter I did a hand full of flowerbed and leaf cleanups. Work usually comes with time spent in the business. I just put out some bids yesterday and they want all flowerbed, cleanup, and pressure washing done during the winter.
If you have a hobby, turn it into income. I have been doing paint and body work as a hobby for about two years now and theres always a demand for that. I also worked for a furniture repair business for a year after highschool and got really good at that. Some SERIOUS money can be made with furniture repair and refinish! The guy I worked for got $600-$800 per piece and I was refinishing one every 3 days for him.

tinman
08-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Place bids on commercial properties and churches. Make a list of services that are needed for each client you have... ex low hanging tree limbs, etc and let them know you have time to do these extras in the winter and it will benefit their property,

THC
08-16-2009, 12:14 AM
Residential snow clearing with snow blowers. I charge by the month, get paid whether it snows or not.

ahenderson
08-17-2009, 02:52 AM
-Watch and Wait for snow, then plow.
-In between the not so often snow here, in central il, keep an eye on the weather, and when it permits do clean ups here and there! One lesson learned the hard way, If you use a leaf-vac be sure to dump them if it starts freezing, or you'll have a big leaf-sickle and one HEAVY trailer! :dizzy:
-Market your self everywhere you go, Do a lot of lunchs with business owners and talk and LISTEN!
-Maintance (equipment)
-Always look for odd jobs, hard workers are hard to find!
-Ice storms = clean ups= money!
-Most importanly catch up on time at home w/ the wife and kids if you have them!
AJ