PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know what truegreen charges for core aeration?

GREENITUP
08-11-2009, 01:16 PM
I would have posted this in another forum - but my aeration competition is True-Brown, so I thought you guys may have a better idea. Getting ready to fire up the Plugr next month and am wondering if I'm charging enough. About 95% of the time, I overseed @ 4lb/1,000 fescue and have worked that into the price. So - setting that part aside, anybody know what the competitions rate is? Thanks...

LawnoftheMonth
08-11-2009, 05:50 PM
they charge double the application price to aerate.

nc-jrock
08-11-2009, 07:07 PM
they charge double the application price to aerate.

Do you know what there normal application price is? (per 1000 K )

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Do you know what there normal application price is? (per 1000 K )

In our area, it varies GREATLY! From so cheap, you know they are not doing everything they are charging for, to so expensive you can't beleive anyone would sign up!:dizzy:

LawnoftheMonth
08-11-2009, 07:29 PM
it's different from region to region. to aerate a 0-2000sq ft lawn here would be ~75.00 and it goes up 10.00 per 1000 sqft after that.

tlg
08-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Basing anything you do or price by what TGCL does is sure to leave you in trouble. It's always great to have an idea what the going rate is to be competitive, using TGCL as a benchmark for your pricing is really not the best company to measure yourself against. Far to often the pricing for anything they do is pulled out of thin air. You will know if your pricing is right by how many aeration's you sell. If you lose a job to them, ask the customer you quoted what TGCL will do it for and go from there. JMO

kirk1701
08-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Basing anything you do or price by what TGCL does is sure to leave you in trouble. It's always great to have an idea what the going rate is to be competitive, using TGCL as a benchmark for your pricing is really not the best company to measure yourself against. Far to often the pricing for anything they do is pulled out of thin air. You will know if your pricing is right by how many aeration's you sell. If you lose a job to them, ask the customer you quoted what TGCL will do it for and go from there. JMO

I can bouch for the "anything they do is pulled out of thin air" part. When I used them I was quoted a price per application baesed off the size of the property; which was OK.

The following spring I had expanded the garden 10' out and 50' wider so thats 500 SQ FT less and I gave them a call to adjust the price. I was told there was a mistake in their price and I was paying for exactly 500 SQ FT less then what I actually should have been paying all along :hammerhead:

That was right around the time I signed up here, wasn't long after that they did one more app for me and POOF :drinkup:

hughmcjr
08-11-2009, 11:23 PM
IMO everyone charges way too little for aeration. I don't do it as a mainstay or try to compete as the market here doesn't demand it even though we are clay soil capital of the US.

It isn't a normal part of maintenance or herbicide/fertilizing programs unless one has it set up that way. I rent the machine since I don't do that much of it, but I won't aerate anyones lawn for less than 125.oo and that is even for a small lawn 1k sq ft. I don't rake or haul the cores off either, but I do include fertilizing with it. If I owned the machine I might be inclined to charge the same or more since I past on the cost of the rental and now have to maintain that heavy beast. The machines themselves don't have a lot to them, but pounding into ground like that is hard on them, particularly in hard, dry and dusty clay soils. JUst ask rental stores.

Then you have the possible nasty side affects of using an aerator. Sprinkler heads not marked or dormant, tree roots, concrete/asphalt drives, etc.

Again, I believe while we give standard lawn maintenance away. Aerating should garner a premium, but I understand in you are in a market that demands a lot of aerating and is competitive.

I also make sure I go over the lawn at least twice and sometimes more in problem areas, especially when overseeding.

GREENITUP
08-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the input. I was just concerned because almost everyone I give a price to accepts with no questions asked. My minimum stop is $95 - up to 3,000sf (that includes 4lbs seed per k).... and goes up for every 500 sf. I just didn't want to be doing a good job on 5,000sf for $x and Truebrown does an ok to poor job for $x+$50.

grassyfras
08-12-2009, 04:32 PM
I just called them. They want $150 for seed and aeration. He said usually they would want $185, but he wants to see me back as a customer. I asked him how much without seed and he said something like $119. I then asked if it included starter fertilizer and he said no, but he'll throw it in for the $150 price. I would say we have 10k of turf.

I think they just make stuff up and hope the techs figure it out.

grassyfras
08-12-2009, 04:33 PM
And..........I called Scott's earlier this year and they quoted me $425.

hughmcjr
08-12-2009, 05:39 PM
I just called them. They want $150 for seed and aeration. He said usually they would want $185, but he wants to see me back as a customer. I asked him how much without seed and he said something like $119. I then asked if it included starter fertilizer and he said no, but he'll throw it in for the $150 price. I would say we have 10k of turf.

I was going to say, see the prices I charge are about right until I read you have 10k sq ft of turf. And seed? Good seed it not cheap. 60.00 for a 50lb bag and I live in grass seed capital of the world. on a 10k lawn that would be minimum 15-20 dollars in the cost of seed alone.

I am not getting these tight prices/margins for aerating. For the work involved and the numbers some are quoting the profit margins are less than 25 % or should be much less than that at those rates. WOW! :confused:

hughmcjr
08-12-2009, 05:40 PM
And..........I called Scott's earlier this year and they quoted me $425.

Which this seems the right price on a 10k lawn to make a fair profit for "specialized" work. Aerating isn't maintenance.

DiyDave
08-12-2009, 09:24 PM

And in one sentence, you have hit on exactly what's wrong with their entire business model. Companies like this have 2 types of employees, salesmen, and techs, forever at odds, because the salesmen say anything to sell the job. What used to irritate the hell out of me, when I worked for a similar boiler room operation, would be the salesmen would underestimate by thousands of square feet, the area to be treated, then I'd show up at the address to do the job, with a bag and a half of fertilizer, and a few pounds of seed, allotted to do this job, by the square footage stated on our records. If you want quality work done, get someone who has been in the business for a long time, and who works either by himself, or with his crew. All of the big companies are the same way, that's why I'm still in business, even though I charge more than they do!:laugh::laugh: