PDA

View Full Version : State Chemist got me

a plus bob
08-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Just finished a lawn hung the invoice and was reeling up the hose.Looked up and there is a Purdue University car sitting there Oh crap! I was ok except for short sleeves and forgot my sun glasses today. He liked my set up and looked over my Z-SPRAY took some pics of it and told me to not to forget my P.P.E. 2nd time in 20 + years to be checked in the field.

sprayboy
08-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Did he give you a fine or was you lucky and just get a warning?

a plus bob
08-11-2009, 05:56 PM
I argued my sleaves were long the label doesnt state long to the wrist! He just told me to be safe and left never said any thing about a fine.

Think Green
08-11-2009, 06:52 PM
A Plus,
Good going!!!
I'll tell you and this panel a little story from a couple of years back. We were working at one of my pet hospitals, and after spraying their rather small front islands with my backpack sprayer, a rather portley fellow came across the parking lot with a clipboard.
I didn't have to think twice about whom it was, because these guys are sly in hiding their vehicles so not to be noticed. He asked some questions about what I was applying, and asked me to walk with him over to our trailer. He asked to see my license, I agreed to show him after he showed me his identification. He asked so see my landscaper's license------I told him that I am not licensed in landscapes.....I plant annuals and perennials. He told me that our sign says small landscapes???? I told him that we only perform services within the guidelines of the State's Regulations of annuals and perennials. He tried to nail me on me not wearing my long sleeve shirt in the 110 degree weather. I was wearing my hat--eye protection--boots--socks--chaps--nitryl gloves. I told him that I was within the guidelines of the label and what I was wearing is more than the other competition does. I told him if I wasn't breaking any laws, that we needed to move on down the road to the next site. This boy was adimant about my trailer signs that stated landscapes. He became so anal, that I had to get on my cell phone---right then with our State Plant Board Director and explain to these monkeys that I was not in any form performing any type of illegal operation.
After 15 minutes, on my cell phone, my minutes were ticking away.........this guy takes black duct tape and tapes over the word landscapes on my signs..!! I came unglued on him and called the state back and told the director that if this fellow doesn't leave my trailer and my customers property that I will have him arrested for vandalizing my property. The Director told me to wait until he left and then take the tape off.......
Needless to say, this guy hasn't been around since................Whatever!!!!!

Hell, I have seen 4 applicator's riding Z sprays in shorts, wife beaters and flip flops. Give me a break!!!!!!!
Nothing really to do with your thread, and didn't intend to highjack the information, all I wanted to say is, these guys can be harrassing or they can be real good people.

DiyDave
08-11-2009, 07:13 PM
We had a couple of prize winning anal types working at MDA, here, in the past, one sees me spraying roundup under a guardrail, does a Rockford uturn at the next street, comes back, starts to think he's hit the jackpot, till I showed him my ID card. I think he later had a heart attack, and died young. Another one, I went through the U of MD with, was a manic depressive type, I hung a nickname on him that, I'm pretty sure he still hears, CHUCKLES! He later transferred out of MDA to the state prison system, as a guard. Now there's a job more suited to his personality!:laugh::laugh:

grandview (2006)
08-11-2009, 07:18 PM
So Purdue is the fert cop? They have the power to fine you? I thought only the govt agency could fine you?

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-11-2009, 07:24 PM
So Purdue is the fert cop? They have the power to fine you? I thought only the govt agency could fine you?

The Indiana State Chemist is Indiana's version of most states Dept Agriculture. They are the administrative agency of the state in pesticide & seed matters. They share resources with Purdue.

chrisby316
08-11-2009, 07:57 PM
our landscape crew got stopped earlier this year spraying atrimec growth inhibitor at a shopping center. luckily the only thing he had to say was about the lack of long sleeves. could have been much worse> congrats on escaping unscathed

LushGreenLawn
08-11-2009, 08:06 PM
In our state the PPE only has to be onsite. It has to be available for workers to wear, and if they don't, its their choice. I apply with short sleeves, but have a long sleeve shirt hanging in the trailer.

LawnTamer
08-11-2009, 08:12 PM
I have been spraying lawns since 1990, and have never been approached by an inspector. Most of the fert/spray guys I know have, but not me. I had one approach my mowing truck, (I wasn't there, I was out spraying in my truck) anyway, he asked my guy if we sprayed weeds and such, he replied that we did, and the inspector went into Hitler mode. He demanded to see his license, spent 20 minutes going through the mowing truck and trailer looking for any pesticides. My guy tried to explain that he didn't actually spray, but his boss did, and how our company had 2 trucks, a spray truck and a mowing truck. The guy got all snooty with him, asked him why he had said that we sprayed weeds etc, but he didn't find anything. My employee was all shaken up and scared. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The inspector called my wife, then later me, trying to trick us into admitting that our mowing guy sprayed weeds, we both told him that all he does is mow, and sometimes aerate. Very unpleasant to deal with.

a plus bob
08-11-2009, 08:21 PM
The guy tried to be nice but did say dont argue with the state chemist.

JB1
08-11-2009, 09:05 PM
The guy tried to be nice but did say dont argue with the state chemist.

I haven't been checked but I have talked with them and even one in Kentucky and they have always seemed pretty level headed. The kentucky one told me that I probably would never see him unless there was a complaint.

rcreech
08-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Not saying it is right...but 9 out of 10 applicators that I have ever seen wearing long sleeves has them rolled up anyway.

I may as well be cool (wearing short sleeves) as them being hot an rolling them up.

To me...PPE should be a personal preference. It is my health! Yes the label should make recs...and we should probably follow them, but why should they have to babysit me for MY health???????

Now following the label due to rates, environment and yada yada is what they should be worried about IMO!

That is just me!

soloscaperman
08-11-2009, 09:59 PM
WOW if someone touched my stuff and put tape on my business logo I would seriously take the tape off put it on his mouth and punch him.

hughmcjr
08-11-2009, 11:30 PM
The interesting thing about the long sleeve shirt and pants is that most labels have that on there, because the chemical will cause skin irritation, not that they are bad to get on your skin really.

Aside from that, what is interesting is twice in 20 years. Quick math puts that at 1989...ummm the economy then and now. I wonder. State budgets hurting?

LawnTamer
08-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Not saying it is right...but 9 out of 10 applicators that I have ever seen wearing long sleeves has them rolled up anyway.

I may as well be cool (wearing short sleeves) as them being hot an rolling them up.

To me...PPE should be a personal preference. It is my health! Yes the label should make recs...and we should probably follow them, but why should they have to babysit me for MY health???????

Now following the label due to rates, environment and yada yada is what they should be worried about IMO!

That is just me!

That's exactly how I feel.

hughmcjr
08-11-2009, 11:51 PM

That is just me!

While being a libertarian I agree with you, again as I said in my previous post I think it is mainly about skin irritation, but you know, if we got the concentrate on our skin which is considered overexposure and ups the chance of a chemical being toxic....very nasty.

I still want the right to be an idiot. The problem comes in when we act as idiots, does doing so have consequences for others, which it can, like insurance rates, medical costs, public health.

GravelyGuy
08-11-2009, 11:53 PM
Was it Kevin Neal that checked up on you? What kind of car was he driving? haha

LawnTamer
08-12-2009, 02:12 AM
While being a libertarian I agree with you, again as I said in my previous post I think it is mainly about skin irritation, but you know, if we got the concentrate on our skin which is considered overexposure and ups the chance of a chemical being toxic....very nasty.

I still want the right to be an idiot. The problem comes in when we act as idiots, does doing so have consequences for others, which it can, like insurance rates, medical costs, public health.

A libertarian in Oregon? Must be like being an honest man in Washington DC, one in a million.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

a plus bob
08-12-2009, 06:58 AM
Was it Kevin Neal that checked up on you? What kind of car was he driving? haha

Joseph d. Becovitz he was driving a dark blue buick with Purdue on the door.

Danscapes
08-12-2009, 07:13 AM
Well with all of the States going bankrupt maybe some of these inspectors will lose their jobs. Where I live they are cutting 200 police and closing a couple fire stations because of "budget shortfalls" (wasteful spending). Now you all tell me, what is more important to a city as a whole, some pencil neck trying to bust a sprayer with proper PPE or putting out fires and keeping crime down? The more things "CHANGE" the more they stay the same!

RigglePLC
08-12-2009, 10:38 PM
I watched a city worker spray a grass road median on a busy street today. He was using a Z-Spray! First he went along the curb edge spraying with a wand driving with his right hand. He stopped at one point. And switched to using the wand from a 3 gallon hand sprayer contained in the basket, without getting off the machine, to spray a special problem(crabgrass probably). He then sprayed the center of the median using the regular boom. Leather gloves, short sleeves, no glasses or sunglasses. I could not see if he had boots.

greendoctor
08-13-2009, 05:26 AM
Probably no boots. I do not know of many lawn products that require waterproof/chemical resistant foot wear. Even if it is not on the label, I cannot imagine handling anything in regular shoes or leather boots. The idea of wearing arsenic or 2,4-D months after I sprayed it does not appeal to me. I can always tell between a municipal worker and an employee of a private contractor. Municipal worker: short sleeves, gloves? maybe, regular shoes, and perhaps sunglasses. Employee of a private contractor: long sleeves or more commonly Tyvek suit, double cartridge respirator, chemical resistant goggles, no sunglasses, elbow length nitrile gloves and knee length rubber boots. Either scene tells me the applicator did not read and understand the label of what is being applied. For one thing, the applicator dressed as if he was going to do the clean up at Chernobyl, hope he was not applying something that actually requires that level of protection. Pesticides like that are restricted to field crops, can't even use them in an ornamental nursery. I know quite well the other scenario probably involves RoundUp, but still, I know what is on that label.

chrisby316
08-14-2009, 01:00 PM
I don't get the long sleeve issue. If I get material on my bare skin I can wash it off. If I get it on my sleeve it will sit there until I change my shirt. How many shirts am I supposed to carry. I would rather have a splash on my skin then a big spot sitting on my arm all day.
Posted via Mobile Device

hughmcjr
08-14-2009, 04:55 PM
I don't get the long sleeve issue. If I get material on my bare skin I can wash it off. If I get it on my sleeve it will sit there until I change my shirt. How many shirts am I supposed to carry. I would rather have a splash on my skin then a big spot sitting on my arm all day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not of the concentrate. Most chemicals are toxic if you drink them or get them on your skin. Inhalation is actually one of the least ways to get toxicity for most chemicals since it is tough to inhale the concentrate. If you get the concentrate on your skin and it is enough to cause overexposure which with some chemicals can be toxic. And it isn't how many shirts you are suppose to carry. You must not know the law or be following the label. You spill chemical on a shirt for example in concentrated form and you are suppose to immediately remove it and dispose of it properly. GO home if you have to or do what ever is necessary to address the spill and you don't get toxicity. Chemical spills on our clothing/bodies is not to be taken lightly.

rcreech
08-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

:clapping:

Great point...and so true!

phasthound
08-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Dermal exposure is the most prevelant form of overexposure in the field. It is also the easiest to prevent by wearing the required PPE. It's just smart to follow the label & the law.

I once attended a safety class were the instructor pounded into our heads that our number one responsibility at work was to make sure we got home safely so we could take care of our families. This doesn't just apply to preventing accidents, but also preventing long term exposure to toxins. His talk made good sense to me.

hughmcjr
08-15-2009, 03:27 AM

Great point...and so true!

:hammerhead: :dizzy::confused:

You know better or should as you are licensed and experienced and yet you agree with what he says which is both illegal and unsafe?
:nono:

a plus bob
08-15-2009, 09:30 AM
:hammerhead: :dizzy::confused:

You know better or should as you are licensed and experienced and yet you agree with what he says which is both illegal and unsafe?
:nono:

How is it safe to walk around all day with a shirt sleeve soaked with chems or to wash your arms after a application.It might be illegal but I dont agree it is unsafe.

GravelyNut
08-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Probably no boots. I do not know of many lawn products that require waterproof/chemical resistant foot wear. Even if it is not on the label, I cannot imagine handling anything in regular shoes or leather boots. The idea of wearing arsenic or 2,4-D months after I sprayed it does not appeal to me. I can always tell between a municipal worker and an employee of a private contractor. Municipal worker: short sleeves, gloves? maybe, regular shoes, and perhaps sunglasses. Employee of a private contractor: long sleeves or more commonly Tyvek suit, double cartridge respirator, chemical resistant goggles, no sunglasses, elbow length nitrile gloves and knee length rubber boots. Either scene tells me the applicator did not read and understand the label of what is being applied. For one thing, the applicator dressed as if he was going to do the clean up at Chernobyl, hope he was not applying something that actually requires that level of protection. Pesticides like that are restricted to field crops, can't even use them in an ornamental nursery. I know quite well the other scenario probably involves RoundUp, but still, I know what is on that label.I'd have to disagree on your Restricted Pesticide statement. There are many of them that can and are used in nurseries. Paraquat being a common one. A non restricted one is Rely. Most persons using blowers to spray down here wear the Tyvek suits as did I when working for the UofF. But then we also used chemicals which had no labels. Chemical testing is fun.:rolleyes:

rcreech
08-15-2009, 02:21 PM
How is it safe to walk around all day with a shirt sleeve soaked with chems or to wash your arms after a application.It might be illegal but I dont agree it is unsafe.

Exactly!

PestPro
08-16-2009, 06:54 PM

Exactly!

I dont know about lawn care, but on the label for Pest Control it will tell you want clothing you are required to wear. So I suggest you just read the label which...when I was in trainning ...that was the first thing they told you...LABEL IS THE LAW

rcreech
08-16-2009, 07:06 PM
I dont know about lawn care, but on the label for Pest Control it will tell you want clothing you are required to wear. So I suggest you just read the label which...when I was in trainning ...that was the first thing they told you...LABEL IS THE LAW

You obviosly didn't read this whole thead!!!! :dizzy:

We KNOW what the label says...we just chose to disregard some of the PPE as it doesn't affect anyone but us.

I follow the label to the T...except for wearing long sleeves.

Read starting on page one instead of jumping in and looking like a moron!!!

PestPro
08-16-2009, 07:21 PM
That's exactly how I feel.

Cause of peole like you is ONE of the reason insurance rates are so high,,cause the healthy ones help pay for the sick ones. That is just the way insurance works be it...Health, life, car, home.

PestPro
08-17-2009, 05:27 PM
I read the entire post, yours was just the one I decide to response to...I still stand behind or in front of my post.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Cause of peole like you is ONE of the reason insurance rates are so high,,cause the healthy ones help pay for the sick ones. That is just the way insurance works be it...Health, life, car, home.

:confused:
Insurance rates are awefully LOW for our industry... I do pest, lawn apps, lawn maint, snowplowing & I think our rates are very reasonable compared to some industries:waving: Not sure where that comment came from?

hughmcjr
08-17-2009, 06:08 PM

First off this is a typical internet discussion where we can't communicate or get across the point properly because we are talking in generalizations or in a sense about two different things relating to the same topic. I was referring specifically to getting the concentrate on your skin. There is no if ands or buts about it, the label is the law, it is not only illegal it is beyond a reasonable doubt UNSAFE to get the concentrate on your skin and most labels speak to that very point. There are a lot of things I don't agree with or go along with in life, but just because I or you don't agree with something doesn't make it or us right and in this case specifically where you claim you don't agree it is unsafe, well you are simply wrong as the label tells you it is unsafe. Anyone in the business and arguing that point is either in denial or lying.

And again, what are you talking about walking around all day with the chemical soaked into your shirt? If you have chemical on your shirt as you say, simply change it. You shouldn't be getting chemical like you claim on your upper body etc. I wear coveralls all the time even if the label doesn't require it. I like the idea of keeping the chemicals off my body as much as I can.

I do only ornamental and turf herbicide spraying, so most often my sprayer is no higher than 6 inches off the ground. This is another area we need to get clarification on. Are you spraying with a short gun type that chemicals are constantly getting on your clothing because of close proximity of the spray gun to your body/clothing?

Please clarify what you are talking about when you say it isn't unsafe to get the chemicals on your skin anymore than it is to have it on a shirt your are wearing all day. :confused:

chrisby316
08-17-2009, 06:45 PM
I am saying that if i get a splash on my arm i can wash it off, and if its on a sleeve then it has to stay there until i change my shirt. What happens if it happens to your back up shirt also? You seem pretty high and mighty about what the "LAW" is. i assume you never travel anywhere without a seat belt, or going over the speed limit. You have also never had more than one drink and driven. RIGHT?! I don't know about you or your company but i could not get any type of production done in a day when it is over 90 degrees out and i am wearing overalls and a long sleeve shirt. you want high insurance premiums?! how about my techs and i getting heat exhaustion every day!

It affects only me and I train the techs under me what the label says and the proper way to do things. if they don't follow those rules it is their choice. if they get a ticket for not carrying things that are given to them they pay the fine just as they would for speeding or seat belt ticket.

phasthound
08-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Everyone has the right to oppose the law. With that comes the responsibilty of defending yourself if you get caught. So go ahead, poison yourself and don't wear your seat belt in the name of civil liberty. Pay your fines and your lawyer if you get caught.

For me, It's just common sense to protect yourself and stupid not to.

hughmcjr
08-17-2009, 07:34 PM
I am saying that if i get a splash on my arm i can wash it off, and if its on a sleeve then it has to stay there until i change my shirt. What happens if it happens to your back up shirt also? You seem pretty high and mighty about what the "LAW" is. i assume you never travel anywhere without a seat belt, or going over the speed limit. You have also never had more than one drink and driven. RIGHT?! I don't know about you or your company but i could not get any type of production done in a day when it is over 90 degrees out and i am wearing overalls and a long sleeve shirt. you want high insurance premiums?! how about my techs and i getting heat exhaustion every day!

It affects only me and I train the techs under me what the label says and the proper way to do things. if they don't follow those rules it is their choice. if they get a ticket for not carrying things that are given to them they pay the fine just as they would for speeding or seat belt ticket.

As I said, the internet and you made MANY wrong assumptions. First off I am a libertarian mostly if one wants to apply "labels", pun intended.

I believe wearing a seat belt is a good thing, but I don't want the govt. telling me I should or the police wasting time and energy giving tickets for it, but you can thank the insurance lobbies for making sure seat belt laws get passed. Why? Because they know that accidents with no seat belts result in higher injuries and fatalities and if a person isn't wearing a seat belt they can argue in civil court that the person violated the law, put himself at risk and caused greater injuries not wearing a seat belt, therefore the insurance company shouldn't have to pay as much or at all.

I can almost guarantee I have gotten more speeding tickets than you and probably several people you know combined. I have been driving 40 years and average about 3 speeding tickets a year. Yes the system loves me and no I don't take pride in it. If the powers that be really wanted us not to speed they could easily pass a law putting speed limiters on vehicles. I wonder why they don't. :rolleyes: Money?? Of course. I don't speed in neighborhoods only on open highways where it is relatively safe and I don't have a fast race car. I am not doing 100mph but generally when I have gotten a ticket it is for doing more than 15 over the limit, like 72 in a 55. I believe speed, within reason, is not near the safety issue as wreckless driving is. I don't believe one is more likely to get great injuries or death at 70mph than at 60mph. I do have a motorcycle. :D

I don't spray over 90 degrees as most chemicals I would use could be volatile or not work at all due to heat/drought stress of plants. We go virtually rain free here in Oregon for 6 months, May thru Oct.

Also we dumb Americans, yes many are dumb, cocky arrogant know it alls who buy the propaganda lies. Anyway, do you know why people in hot climates like Mexico, Middle east etc wear long clothing that is generally white and covers their entire skin? Because keeping sun off skin actually keeps us cooler and is safer than wearing shorts and tee shirts and getting severe burns and the heat of direct sun. The body is supposed to sweat that is how we stay cool along with drinking lots of fluids. We in the US have to look cool and have great tans, :rolleyes: but really we are not protecting ourselves properly from excessive heat and sun when working outside in high temps with shorts and tee shirts. And maybe most important, Melanoma is the most serious type of cancer and the rates have gone off the charts and are said to be way worse over the next 20+ years, so the sun maybe worse than the chemicals. :dizzy:

In actuality if they work for you it is NOT their choice, but yours to fire them if they do not follow the label. I think like you as well in that I have told my employees to wear hearing protection when mowing and if they don't it is up to them, but according to rules, OSHA etc, we are supposed to enforce those rules or fire our employees. THis one I am with you, but I would like to see less laws and more common sense and education which is how I feel about ALL laws and society. The problem with fines against your employees is that they ARE your employees and it can and does reflect negatively against you and your company if you willingly hire employees who ignore you and the label/laws.

I am also with you on the following:

The govt, OSHA, Pesticide agencies, etc. don't care about how these rules affect us monetarily, time wise, safety wise, etc. They could care less about our profit or how we make it or how we keep employees in jobs etc. There one and only concern if enforcing laws and making sure we comply. It sucks and is prohibitive and restricting at times to our business', but unfortunately it is the way it is.

If you get the concentrate on your skin you know what you are supposed to do and simply washing it off is not always the solution for some chemicals. Ever gotten concentrate on your skin and tasted it for days? Again, if you get it on your shirt, that is considered a spill and overexposure and the labels specifically state what to do when that happens. Unfortunately profit does not take precedence over safety, and if you get a spill on you or your clothing you are supposed to remove and wash immediately and see medical help. While I agree with you about production, profit etc, the laws and regulations and enforcing agencies don't. They want to see you safe and not overexposed.

chrisby316
08-17-2009, 09:17 PM
I agree with most of your points and am probably with you on the traffic infraction count. I also agree that long sleeve shirts.SHOULD be worn. I just guess old habits die hard, can't teach an old dog new tricks, or whatever other cliche would apply. Thank you for replying courtously and look forward to posting with you in the future
Posted via Mobile Device

a plus bob
05-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Busted again!!! On my birthday. This time no long sleeves.Guy said we are cracking down on PPE this year.Same as last time just a smack on the hand :p

GravelyGuy
05-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Hey Bob, Happy B-Day. What did you get yourself???

Thanks for letting me know today. Were you on your Z?

a plus bob
05-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Hey Bob, Happy B-Day. What did you get yourself???A warning ticket

Thanks for letting me know today. Were you on your Z?Yes I was
I had to run home to change lost about 2 hrs.:nono:

GravelyGuy
05-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Yes I was
I had to run home to change lost about 2 hrs.:nono:

The big question is, will you do it again? I know there's been times when I was pushing the the fert spreader and about to have a heat stroke in long sleeves. I don't know about anyone else, but the only time I have ever had herb. on my arms is when mixing.

I better get two free warnings!

a plus bob
05-03-2010, 06:30 PM
He was kind of a d%ck this time.I think my lucky streak has ended.But I have a plan and he said it would be OK .

a plus bob
05-03-2010, 06:32 PM
My mom is going to make me arm guards that will have elastic at the top and velcro around the wrist so I can pull them on and off Quickly.He said that would be fine.

GravelyGuy
05-03-2010, 06:34 PM
He was kind of a d%ck this time.I think my lucky streak has ended.But I have a plan and he said it would be OK .

You have to tell me your plan. What was he driving this time? I had one in a blue jeep and another in a car.

Did they stop you midlawn or wait for you to finish?

a plus bob
05-03-2010, 06:40 PM
You have to tell me your plan. What was he driving this time? I had one in a blue jeep and another in a car.

Did they stop you midlawn or wait for you to finish?

He pulled up in a white Pontiac grabbed his clip board and started across the lawn.The other was a gold chevy Malibu 2 of them in Rossville today then they headed to Lafayette.My plan is the arm guards easy on and off.I asked if I could finish and he asked me to wait until he left :p

GravelyGuy
05-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Not to ask you a million questions, but did they get technical and start asking you about calibration, pressure your running at, etc?

Frank Fescue
05-03-2010, 07:09 PM
you need to be twice and rude to them as they are to you. realize these booksharms have no real world experience, all the learning they've done in life comes from what their wild left wing professors have taught them. they think they are superior to you, a regular working shmuck because in their world only losers produce sweat equity.

i had a state inspector come out and start some mess with me and i told them i was in a protected class of citizen and they were violating my civil rights and that i havent seen them pull over any other people doing the same work i was. i said i felt i was being harassed and would call the police and had no problems feigning injury. she backed off and i havent been bothered again. shes lucky she was a broad or it would have gotten ugly

a plus bob
05-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Not to ask you a million questions, but did they get technical and start asking you about calibration, pressure your running at, etc?

Nope asked for my license and label.He circled the PPE section and said you need long sleeves.He never asked about my Pre Emergent label or invoices he knew what he was going after.Last guy checked Invoices, labels, MSDS,flags and looked my truck over.

a plus bob
05-03-2010, 07:32 PM
you need to be twice and rude to them as they are to you. realize these booksharms have no real world experience, all the learning they've done in life comes from what their wild left wing professors have taught them. they think they are superior to you, a regular working shmuck because in their world only losers produce sweat equity.

i had a state inspector come out and start some mess with me and i told them i was in a protected class of citizen and they were violating my civil rights and that i havent seen them pull over any other people doing the same work i was. i said i felt i was being harassed and would call the police and had no problems feigning injury. she backed off and i havent been bothered again. shes lucky she was a broad or it would have gotten ugly

I have talked to him before all he knows about the Buisness is what they told him.He is a retired cop.

americanlawn
05-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Frank -- that was cool :usflag::usflag:

a plus -- were the inspectors wearing protective clothing when they walked across the treated lawn? :hammerhead:

This time of year, I can drive through any town I want & see city workers, state workers, county workers spraying Roundup, etc wearing shorts, short sleeve shirts, no gloves, and smoking a cigarette at the same time. (except on weekends, cuz guv workers don't work like we do) :hammerhead:

BTW --- HAPPY BIRTHDAY Bob. :waving:

grassman177
05-03-2010, 10:19 PM
yeah, ag inspectors cant get anything on this guy, we made very sure that we are up to par with precautions and the like. how dare you bob not wear long sleeve shirts while applicating. cant wait to wear them in july .

LawnoftheMonth
05-03-2010, 10:41 PM
try a under armour heat gear long sleeved shirt under whatever short sleeve you wear, it really will keep you cooler once you get used to it. then get the socks and briefs as well, the stuff is awesome.

a plus bob
05-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Frank -- that was cool :usflag::usflag:

a plus -- were the inspectors wearing protective clothing when they walked across the treated lawn? :hammerhead:

This time of year, I can drive through any town I want & see city workers, state workers, county workers spraying Roundup, etc wearing shorts, short sleeve shirts, no gloves, and smoking a cigarette at the same time. (except on weekends, cuz guv workers don't work like we do) :hammerhead:

BTW --- HAPPY BIRTHDAY Bob. :waving:He was wearing shorts and tennis shoes and yes he walked right across the lawn after I just sprayed it:hammerhead:

yeah, ag inspectors cant get anything on this guy, we made very sure that we are up to par with precautions and the like. how dare you bob not wear long sleeve shirts while applicating. cant wait to wear them in july .cant wait a fat guy in long sleeves in july I will melt like butter:laugh:

try a under armour heat gear long sleeved shirt under whatever short sleeve you wear, it really will keep you cooler once you get used to it. then get the socks and briefs as well, the stuff is awesome.The only bad thing about that is you cant find a XXXL under armour;)

DiyDave
05-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Carry a camera with you, and take pictures of the guy, as he walks toward you, it always pisses them off, big time! If he asks you what you are doing, just say oh, nothing, just recording the encounter for posterity!:laugh::laugh: