PDA

View Full Version : How to move 80cy of top soil???

KAT_Ayanami
08-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Hi,

I have a project where I need to fill up a new 2500SF community planter with top soil (About 1' high).

I have calculated that I might need about 80cy of top soil to do this, the problem is that the way to the community planter is too long and narrow.

There is no way to get neither a truck nor a bobcat/excavator back there, and the planter is more than 300' away from the delivery site (front curb).

What could we do? Because the only choice I can think of is having all the tan house neighbors wheelbarrow the material :rolleyes:

Thanks!

punt66
08-11-2009, 05:02 PM
why cant you get a bobcat there? How is it set up?

KAT_Ayanami
08-11-2009, 05:08 PM
It is an open area where the planter is going to be. But there is a big set of steps to get down to the area. And trees all around.

Besides, If I were able to squeez a bobcat back there, I would have to make so many trips that I would totally kill all the landscape.

punt66
08-11-2009, 05:10 PM
It is an open area where the planter is going to be. But there is a big set of steps to get down to the area. And trees all around.

how many steps? how wide are the steps? how steep are they? and what are they made out of?

White Gardens
08-11-2009, 05:20 PM
I would first put down cheap plywood, or any other suitable material on the lawn before you do anything. Even a wheelbarrow will start a rut over time. Don't leave them down in the same spot for more than 3 days so you don't kill the grass.

Rent a Dingo, or some other mini skid.

At the steps, devise a chute of some sort, say maybe an old slide, corrugated fiberglass sheets, etc.. to lay over the steps. Dump your load from the dingo onto the chute.

At the bottom of the chute either pile it up or chute it directly into a wheelbarrow and move it to where you need it.

Be careful, charge accordingly, good luck, and may the force be with you.

DiyDave
08-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Sounds like a job for the ASV RC30, and a plankover job on the stairs, and plywood over the sidewalk. A tracked loader will do a lot less damage, if any.:waving:

clcare2
08-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Can you get it blown in??

KAT_Ayanami
08-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Can you get it blown in??

I do not think so. It is kind of far away to do that...

For the rest. I am looking into all the small excavators you are suggesting (dingo, ASV RC30, etc)

Since it is a really long stretch to get to the planter, would it be practical to use a small excavator to go back and forth? It would take it a couple of minutes per trip.
Or should I use the excavator to fill the wheelbarrows on one shot and have them on their way? (It is downhill when full)

Thanks!

Pro-Scapes
08-12-2009, 09:38 AM
In our experience 2 guys with wheelbarrows was way faster than a dingo. Use a dingo or tractor to load the wheelbarrows. Spend a few minutes building a good ramp on the stairs out of some 2x and ply and it will save you time. We moved 100 yards of mulch about 500 ft but no stairs with 4 guys and 3 wheelbarrows rotating out who used the dingo to load them.

The chances of doing damage to the atiars with the repeated use of a track loader would probably outweigh the time savings if any to me. I garuntee I can walk faster with a wheelbarrow than a dingo could move it.

Now if you had an insane hill or rugged terrain it would be a diff story.

KAT_Ayanami
08-12-2009, 12:45 PM
In our experience 2 guys with wheelbarrows was way faster than a dingo. Use a dingo or tractor to load the wheelbarrows. Spend a few minutes building a good ramp on the stairs out of some 2x and ply and it will save you time. We moved 100 yards of mulch about 500 ft but no stairs with 4 guys and 3 wheelbarrows rotating out who used the dingo to load them.

The chances of doing damage to the atiars with the repeated use of a track loader would probably outweigh the time savings if any to me. I garuntee I can walk faster with a wheelbarrow than a dingo could move it.

Now if you had an insane hill or rugged terrain it would be a diff story.

Thanks everybody for the help.
I also think this would be the best and safest approach.

Lets see what happens :)

Thank you!

KAT_Ayanami
08-12-2009, 12:55 PM
We moved 100 yards of mulch about 500 ft but no stairs with 4 guys and 3 wheelbarrows rotating out who used the dingo to load them.

Could you give me an approximate in hours of what it took you?

Thanks.

punt66
08-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Could you give me an approximate in hours of what it took you?

Thanks.
you havent answered my question. How many steps? how wide are they? and what are they made out of?

Pro-Scapes
08-12-2009, 02:40 PM
If I recall it took us about 2 days to move the mulch. Its hard for me to give an accurate guess on it because it was all part of a larger job including lighting and subbing out a patio and irri work.

We moved 40 via 3 wheelbarrows and a tractor loading them in about 5 hours including breaks and spreading time.

Pro-Scapes
08-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Just to add this in I come up with 90 yds for a 2500 sq ft bed 1 ft deep.

LB1234
08-12-2009, 07:07 PM
thought about the portable conveyors????

Duffster
08-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Or something like this.

http://www.concreteiron.com/classifieds/uploaded/999001092.jpg

JB1
08-12-2009, 09:49 PM
ever thought about one of them mulch blowing companies, they can blow topsoil in there.

DiyDave
08-12-2009, 09:55 PM
I had forgotten about the stone shooters, those trucks rock, and roll, Someone had a video of one placing topsoil into a yard, man that thing can move dirt. Probably would drop a lot of labor, on a job like this, just call them, mark up by 20 %, and get the job done in a half a day!:laugh::laugh:

White Gardens
08-13-2009, 12:15 PM
I had forgotten about the stone shooters, those trucks rock, and roll, Someone had a video of one placing topsoil into a yard, man that thing can move dirt. Probably would drop a lot of labor, on a job like this, just call them, mark up by 20 %, and get the job done in a half a day!:laugh::laugh:

There was another guy on here that had a stone shooter that the threw 50 yards of mulch on a hill-side.

Looked Slick.

hardscaper
08-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Hi,

I have a project where I need to fill up a new 2500SF community planter with top soil (About 1' high).

I have calculated that I might need about 80cy of top soil to do this, the problem is that the way to the community planter is too long and narrow.

There is no way to get neither a truck nor a bobcat/excavator back there, and the planter is more than 300' away from the delivery site (front curb).

What could we do? Because the only choice I can think of is having all the tan house neighbors wheelbarrow the material :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Piece of cake,
Self loading, 34" wide,handles stairs, carries 13 cu/ft, goes 4mph,handles 40 degree slope, 1 man 8 hrs. can move 70 cu.yd. we've done it.

shovelracer
08-13-2009, 09:44 PM
There was another guy on here that had a stone shooter that the threw 50 yards of mulch on a hill-side.

Looked Slick.

Like this? They can hold 18 ton +/- and can unload in under an hour. Likely though if they are transporting you are in for a full day. Expect to pay a little over a grand for the truck service. Locally no one will load anything but mulch out of their blowers. Too much wear and tear when they already have full schedules.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=275342

LB1234
08-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Or something like this.

http://www.concreteiron.com/classifieds/uploaded/999001092.jpg

might want to check with DVS to see what type of CDL is required for that rig:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pro-Scapes
08-14-2009, 06:16 PM
By the time you ponder this and spend time trying to save time you could have moved it by now the old school way.

bam
08-14-2009, 11:31 PM
300' is not too far for a mulch blower. I know of a company in S. Jersey that has a 50 yd. Express Blower. They will blow soil, stone, or mulch. There machine is well maintained and was very efficient.

You can do back breaking labor, risk an injury or workmans comp. claim, if there alot of steps, etc. or just sub it to a mulch blower and have the job done in a fraction of the time, with little potential for an injury.

Also, I'm sure there are several blower trucks out there, and its probably slow right now, since normally its not too optimal for seeding right now.

andyslawncare
08-15-2009, 03:19 PM
rent a sk650 --- http://www.ditchwitch.com/compact-utility/mini-skid-steers/SK650

Duffster
08-15-2009, 08:43 PM
might want to check with DVS to see what type of CDL is required for that rig:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:hammerhead: :laugh: :drinkup:

Horizon Lawn
08-15-2009, 09:00 PM
I have a bb302 and it will blow dirt rock or mulch. I have blown as much as 90 yrds of mulch in an 8 hr day loading it with a bobcat and blowing in the beds. That is with 3 guys. So if you could find someone with a mulch blower you could do this in a day no problem. I can blow up to 250 of hose and it will blow the mulch another 30 feet if you know what you are doing.

ARGOS
08-16-2009, 09:32 PM
I definitely lean toward Pro-Scapes opinion...wheelbarrows. 80 yards isn't THAT much. Get a stake of laborers and go to town.

freddyc
08-21-2009, 07:16 PM
get 3 guys plus yourself.

Get 6 wheelbarrows

Rent a dingo or similar

You use the dingo to load the wheelbarrows...while the guys are moving material, you load the three empty wheelbarrows. They dump their load, come back for more....just pick up the waiting full wheelbarrows so theres no real downtime. You'll get a routine going soon.

If its 300ft away as you say, each load should take 3-4 minutes. So at ~ 4 cu ft per wheelbarrow, shouldn't take all that long. Way faster than a machine of that size alone and if each guy can move ~ 3-5 yds /hr then its not all that long considering the three guys.