PDA

View Full Version : Is this known to happen to Kohlers?

soloscaperman
08-11-2009, 07:03 PM
I have this problem since I bought my mower (Kohler 27 HP). After about 3 hours on the mower the next day I start it up and blows white smoke. I thought maybe it has to break in. Well when I got 7 hours on it I changed the oil, filter, etc.

Every so often I will start it and it blows smoke and fills my garage. Then goes away after a min or so.

If I run it high it burns of quicker but I let it idle. I think it was the stupid dealer. It sat for a year and in front of my starts it up after jumping it and runs it full speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean for 5 min straight!

My freakin Kawa motor from 03 that has 15HP and has over 3,000 hours never smokes!! I was never a fan of Kohler.

It only happens when the motor is cold or if the trailer jumps a lot. The oil is on the full mark. I really want to put Mobil one but use castrol 10-30. I read something about the 25HP with the needle float or the valves.

highlander316
08-11-2009, 07:07 PM
my 25HP Kohler does it once and a while when its cold, maybe once a week or, or once every other week when I first start it in the morning.

DT Lawn Care
08-11-2009, 07:10 PM
I have Kohler Command single cyls, and if it sits overnight or jumps on the trailer like you say, it does the same thing. If you let it sit long enough, the gas will flow through to the oil also, so beware. Simple fix is put a gas shut-off on it, and turn it off after every day, and if it's bad, after every lawn. I have gotten into the habit of just turning it off after every lawn. I have not had one problem with this since. Hope this helps. And also, I don't know where that came from Punt.

bohiaa
08-11-2009, 07:19 PM
NOPE... NOT a knowned issue

punt66
08-11-2009, 07:24 PM
hahahah that didnt take long

soloscaperman
08-11-2009, 07:24 PM
I read about some of the the Kohlers doing that because of the angle of the motor.

Should I bring it to the shop now or wait when mowing season is over?

Thanks for the advice guys :-)

HARRIS Property Management
08-11-2009, 09:31 PM
My Kohler does the same thing. I will try the shut off valve and see if works from the previous post but I would go back to Kawasaki any day. I hate Kohler. All these years in business and they still cant get it right. Surely they surveyed enough Kohler customers to know this is a common problem.

soloscaperman
08-11-2009, 09:53 PM
If this is normal then I guess the life of the motor will last just as long as other brands?? I just don't want to blow my motor up. I will see if the warranty covers it. For any mower even in this age it should never do this especially for what you pay for!

STIHL GUY
08-11-2009, 10:39 PM
the only time ive seen a motor do that is after sitting for the winter

Kutz Lawns
08-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Don't bet on Kohler covering anything under warranty, I wouldn't!

I can't stand my 25 Command Pro! Head gasket blew at 420 hours.

If I could only have a Honda EFI, in my dreams!

mike333h
08-12-2009, 10:10 AM
I have this problem since I bought my mower (Kohler 27 HP). After about 3 hours on the mower the next day I start it up and blows white smoke. I thought maybe it has to break in. Well when I got 7 hours on it I changed the oil, filter, etc.

Every so often I will start it and it blows smoke and fills my garage. Then goes away after a min or so.

White smoke= Oil....Black smoke= Gas. I am not trying to sound sarcastic there, but if the dealer started it right up like that and ran it full speed without warming it up he could have scared the cylinder and a little bit of oil is bypassing the rings since he was heating the piston up so much faster than they cylinder wall itself. Another problem that it could be is some oil leaking through the valve seals as it is just sitting.

Those are the first two things that I can think of off the top of my head.

Mike

Genlandscape
08-19-2009, 09:57 PM
I have 2 2006 SP 27's one has 260 hrs. and the other 580 hrs. They have gone through three and four sets of head gaskets respectively. My Lazer HP 56" is in the shop as I post. I switched from the Kawis, for less noise and better fuel consumption, but I think I may have made a mistake. Dealer support around here is mediocre at best, and all I get from them is the warranty repair, and the blame for "allowing them to get to hot". If you could see my nearly two year old machines they look new, and have been meticulously maintained, so I don't think heat is the issue. I believe there is an underlying issue that niether Kohler or the mechanic hasn't bothered to figure out. What happens when the warranty expires? I'll be damned if I am going to do foot the bill for 2 or 3 head gasket repairs a year. Hopefully you just have a leaky valve seal or the rings havn't seated properly. This being down a machine is for the birds! Good luck.

Kutz Lawns
08-19-2009, 10:10 PM
I have 2 2006 SP 27's one has 260 hrs. and the other 580 hrs. They have gone through three and four sets of head gaskets respectively. My Lazer HP 56" is in the shop as I post. I switched from the Kawis, for less noise and better fuel consumption, but I think I may have made a mistake. Dealer support around here is mediocre at best, and all I get from them is the warranty repair, and the blame for "allowing them to get to hot". If you could see my nearly two year old machines they look new, and have been meticulously maintained, so I don't think heat is the issue. I believe there is an underlying issue that niether Kohler or the mechanic hasn't bothered to figure out. What happens when the warranty expires? I'll be damned if I am going to do foot the bill for 2 or 3 head gasket repairs a year. Hopefully you just have a leaky valve seal or the rings havn't seated properly. This being down a machine is for the birds! Good luck.

The Kohler representative told me every reason in the book including heat, why my head gasket blew at 420 hours and mine was 3 months out of warranty, how convenient!

Plus they told me it was on a commercial mower and it says "heavy duty commercial" right on the freekin machine!

I'll never, EVER buy another machine with a Kohlor motor again!

And if it ever blows up again, I'm putting something else in it!

I hope your listening Kohlor!

Genlandscape
08-19-2009, 10:54 PM
I've done some poking around, and found that we are not the only ones with head gasket faailers, and the SP 27's are not the only models. I've found that about four more models that have had the same issue all vertical engines (model numbers forgotten), not sure if this is a fluke or not but they seem to have stud and bolt configuration in common. Apparently the engineers at the big K are too busy swinging their golf clubs to design an engine that we can't blow up. Sorry you didn't get the warranty work; at the rate I'm blowing motors these engines will be cheaper to replace than to maintain. Now isn't that a kick in the shorts!!

topsites
08-20-2009, 03:03 AM
I can tell you one thing I've learned over the years...
Kohler's are FAMOUS for liking to leak fuel when they sit, anywhere from just a tiny bit to a lot...
The problem isn't that it's leaking fuel per se because it's usually such a small amount, the problem
is that it seeps through the carburetor into the engine!
Once there it contaminates the oil, and unless you can tell by smell that your oil has had fuel contamination...
Anytime fuel has contaminated the oil, both the oil AND the filter have to be changed, even if it was just done.

Because I used to think it was normal for Kohlers to blow oil at times, mine, they all did that.
But one of mine got to leaking fuel so bad it would fill the muffler, to where it would
come spewing out in the morning IF I could even get the dang engine to turn over.
Oh, I'd pull the dipstick and I could smell fuel on it, that bad.

After about the 3rd oil change on that one engine I was just a little PISSED,
we're talking close to $30 in oil and filters all in like 2-3 months time.

So I made some changes:
1. I disconnected any and ALL electric shut offs, so that at no point in time can the engine be shut down any other way.
> In my case it's actually just one little ground wire down at the throttle connection, I pulled it.
> I think on other mowers there may be a safety involving the blades as well, not sure, others have an electronic ignition.
Anyhow...
2. When shutting down the engine, I simply turn off the fuel spigot and let it run itself out.

None of my Kohler's have blown oil since I've been doing that, I started sometime earlier this year.

buckhigh
08-20-2009, 09:59 PM
i have a 23hp kohler command on a 2008 lazer hp. it blows white smoke maybe once every 2 weeks. only has 100hrs of the engine and have changed the oil twice. blows it maybe for a minute or two and than steadily goes away. is this normal guys?

Genlandscape
08-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Neols you have to read the whole thread before you post which is going a little rampant any way. Picked up my Lazer today, and another blown head gasket. I have never had a problem with fuel in the oil, we shut off fuel at the end of the day. Topsites, how long does it take to reprime the fuel pump and get the engine started after running all of the fuel out? Any way, the mechanic finally spewed today and told me that Kohler has constant head gasket problems, and that he could have rebuilt my motor with his eyes closed, he's done so many. I will probably have two kohler command sp 27hp's for sale by the spring, newly rebuilt, LOL (not really laughing). May be time to go back to Kawi's. I wish I could afford a couple of l/c Hondas.

buckhigh
08-22-2009, 02:26 AM
Neols you have to read the whole thread before you post which is going a little rampant any way. Picked up my Lazer today, and another blown head gasket. I have never had a problem with fuel in the oil, we shut off fuel at the end of the day. Topsites, how long does it take to reprime the fuel pump and get the engine started after running all of the fuel out? Any way, the mechanic finally spewed today and told me that Kohler has constant head gasket problems, and that he could have rebuilt my motor with his eyes closed, he's done so many. I will probably have two kohler command sp 27hp's for sale by the spring, newly rebuilt, LOL (not really laughing). May be time to go back to Kawi's. I wish I could afford a couple of l/c Hondas.

Read the entire thread twice before I posted...not sure what you're trying to say? I posted my issue and wondered if it was normal whats it doing? Mixed opinions on this thread as to why kohlers blow smoke...so what did I say or do wrong? I even used the search button so please educate me...!

lawnpro724
08-24-2009, 12:04 AM
So far so good with my 27hp Kohler bought new this past spring on my Z500. So far it has been flawless, doesn't even need to be choked when cold.

Kutz Lawns
08-24-2009, 01:12 PM
So far it has been flawless

And I hope it stays that way for you too, but if you ever have any problems with it I hope you have good dealer support to back it up!

My local Scag dealer had a lot of pull too but I guess not that much in the end dealing with Kohlor!

Good Luck

Two Seasons
08-27-2009, 08:24 PM
So far so good with my 27hp Kohler bought new this past spring on my Z500. So far it has been flawless, doesn't even need to be choked when cold.

No problems with ours either on our Scag TT. No choking when cold here either.

However, our Kawasaki 17hp on the Pro-V has blown white smoke all along the way. Currently has over 200hrs, but no noticeable usage.

JohnnyGreen
11-16-2009, 02:50 AM
I had one Kohler engine on my exmark turf tracer. It was working well for about a 1 1/2 years. Then it was running rough, hard to start, running rich. The dealer told me it needed a 15.00 cap to put ontop of the carb.. I said what ever and they did it. It ran good for about 3 hours then it started acting up again. They said i needed a new cap. So i put the new cap on again. After the second cap went bad i ordered a new Kaw 15hp. The dealer told me that if i changed the engine it would void the warranty. I said if the warranty would not cover a 15.00 cap, what makes you so sure anything else would be covered? He was silent. After taking the Kohler off the exmark we ran it over with a Cat D-6 a few times. Still using the 15hp kaw to this day and has about 4000 hours on it. Starts on the second pull and never had a prob with it. A few times a year it will blow out white smoke but only twice a year. I take that back, its stating to use oil..so it might be time to replace it.