PDA

View Full Version : Another stone Identification

4 seasons lawn&land
08-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Anyone know what this is exactly?

2low4NH
08-12-2009, 08:47 PM
from the picture it looks like some type of marble. looks to smooth to be a sandstone. field stone on the risers. never seen a tread like that before though.

2low4NH
08-12-2009, 08:48 PM
nevermind i see vains in the stone might be a granite

4 seasons lawn&land
08-12-2009, 09:30 PM
marble has veins. Thats allways what Ive thought it was but wanted to confirm. The only issue I see with it being marble is its natural cleft! All uneven faces and edges.

Marble, I thought does not break in layers but is sawn from cubes resulting in all smooth surfaces.

Now maybe back in the day they snapped it hydraulically...

This stuff would have been placed well over a hundred years ago.

2low4NH
08-12-2009, 10:42 PM
hard to tell with the aging. it looks really wet as well. marble tends to chip and break kinda uneven. you could chisel cut it and have a good edge but that looks like a somewhat natural edge.

4Russl5
08-16-2009, 12:56 PM
The material was porbably quarried within 50 to 25 miles of the house. It looks like a quartzite... but who knows? Do you need to match it? You have to think like you don't have a cell phone/computer/truck. Contractors, myself included, are inherently lazy and constantly seeking the path of least resistance to aquire material and make a profit. Especially for a foundation. Probably quarried within 5 miles of the house along a river.
My thoughts....