PDA

View Full Version : Knocking down Creeping Charlie this time of year

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Got a call from one of my custs tonight - he chose a 4 app program so I have not been on his lawn since early June. Scheduled to go back late this month/early Sept. At any rate, he called to advise he had a couple patches of Creeping Charlie in his yard, never had any problem with Creeping Charlie with his past service (my first season on this lawn). I advised him that with fall coming, we would certainly get it knocked down with the last two apps. I also advised that I did not notice any ground ivy when I was there last - may have reared its ugly head since then. Its all with the timing of the apps...

At any rate, because this is my first season doing some squirts, I offered to go over to this guys house and hit the patches of ground ivy for no extra charge. I know its tough as nails this time of year, ugh. I was planning to use Momentum - will this have any effect at all or am I wasting my time? I would be getting two apps on this stuff within about a 3 week span, would that knock it out? I really don't want to buy something special for just one partial app but I DO want to have pleased customers. Perhaps I should pick up something to spike 3way like Quicksilver? Please advise.

Thx

drobin
08-11-2009, 11:39 PM
im laughing because ive been trying to kill this stuff all summer, I guess its all about timing but this stuff laughs at speedzone when I spray it, Unbelievable how tough and resilant it is

RigglePLC
08-12-2009, 10:52 AM
I used some Lesco Eliminate, with crop oil as a surfactant. Applied a week ago. Worked excellent! Creeping charlie (ground ivy) gone, smoked. Of course the crop oil is a little tough on the grass--injured it slightly. I got almost as good results with a heavy rate of surfactant and a product containing triclopyr--use the maximum the label allows.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-12-2009, 02:34 PM
I used some Lesco Eliminate, with crop oil as a surfactant. Applied a week ago. Worked excellent! Creeping charlie (ground ivy) gone, smoked. Of course the crop oil is a little tough on the grass--injured it slightly. I got almost as good results with a heavy rate of surfactant and a product containing triclopyr--use the maximum the label allows.

Per above done. Used Momentum FX2, AI is triclopyr. Used the max rate of 1.5 oz per gallon/K. Will see how we come out on that ground ivy....

FdLLawnMan
08-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Ok, I am going to answer your question first and then suggest you change yout timing.

I use Momentum Fx2 spiked with Octane or Quicksilver this time of year on hard to kill Ground Ivy.

Now, as far as not doing anything on your customers lawn during the summer, sounds good in theory, but doesn't work in real life and you are seeing the first of the consequences now. The big boys have trained the customers to expect s lawn "treatment" at equally spaced times. It doesn't matter what the treatment is as long as you are there on the lawn. I used to do the same thing you did and then we had a cooler and wetter summer than normal and the weeds went nuts. If you thing you are going to hold onto customers by avoiding their lawn for two months on a four step program you are mistaken. Unless the lawns are totally brown and it is above 85 degrees all day you can apply fertilizer and kill weeds. I use synthetic fertilizers with at least 75% slow release and apply at the rate of 1/2 to 3/4 lb nitrogen per K with no problems in the summer. You can also use an organic fertilizer in the summer but I see no advantage to that and it is expensive. You can explain to your customers all day long about how doing anything to the lawn in the summer isn't the correct and not recommended. They don't care. They want green grass and no weeds and by avoiding the lawn for 8 weeks during a summer like this you will have weed issues. I am just giving you this advice because I had to learn this the hard way.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-13-2009, 11:56 PM
FdLawn - you make a valid point. I will reassess my programs at season's end so that the gaps between apps are not so far apart. Luckily, I only have a handful of custs so far and I have been doing some spot treating between apps. Vast majority are satisfied. Next season I want to make them MORE satisfied:)

Think Green
08-15-2009, 05:30 PM
The University of Iowa developed a formula for treating creeping Charlie using Borax (20 Mule Team Borax found with other laundry detergents in the grocery). Creeping Charlie is extremely sensitive to high levels of boron (found in Borax). While grass is relatively tolerant of boron, you should not repeat this application, or it may kill the grass. Here is the formula as it was released:One time only!

2-5 teaspoons Borax / 1 quart warm water* / 25 square feet (an area 5’ X 5’ square)
*Because it is difficult to spread 1 quart of solution over that area, a gallon of water can be substituted, if you make sure you still spread that same amount of borax over the same area. This should be applied through a sprinkling can. It cannot be concentrated, since it will clog up most sprayers. Be sure to spread this solution over 25 square feet. Try it first with water to get a feel for how to spread it accurately. Allow the solution to dry on the foliage for 24 hours. Some areas of the United States have naturally higher levels of boron in the soil. In those areas, the lower dosage is needed. In our area, the higher dosage is being used. It causes a little yellowing of the grass, but seems to do no permanent damage. Be careful not to apply this formula to anything else. Perennials, shrubs and other plants may be sensitive too. Borax does not kill the creeping Charlie quickly, but you should see damage within a week or two. Over the next several weeks, more and more of the creeping Charlie will weaken and die. Many people are using this method of minimizing the creeping Charlie throughout the summer, finishing it off in fall with weed free zone. That way you use less 2,4-D.

Grandview
08-16-2009, 08:51 AM
I have had excellent results with 3-way and Octane. Even under not so good conditions. If a customer calls me in July and it is dry I will make an application.
Customers do not want to wait. I also recommend another application in the fall. The key is under sell and over deliver. Tell customers to not expect too much with the first app, maybe 50%. Then if you get 70% they are impressed.

pinto n mwr
08-16-2009, 11:52 PM
creeping charlie at this time or a few weeks ago is a crap shoot with momentum. Sometimes it will work sometimes not. Sometimes when it rains it will work sometimes not. I've had good control in drought conditions sometimes, mostly not. Bad control in cool conditions at this time of the year. Do what you can at this time of the year and remember fall best, spring second best with using momentum. Redzone of some othe esters work well too but you can't use them at this time of the year, also more expensive.

FdLLawnMan
08-17-2009, 12:39 AM
creeping charlie at this time or a few weeks ago is a crap shoot with momentum. Sometimes it will work sometimes not. Sometimes when it rains it will work sometimes not. I've had good control in drought conditions sometimes, mostly not. Bad control in cool conditions at this time of the year. Do what you can at this time of the year and remember fall best, spring second best with using momentum. Redzone of some othe esters work well too but you can't use them at this time of the year, also more expensive.

That is why you spike it with Octane or Quicksilver. Works great then.