PDA

View Full Version : Friggin resistant chinchbugs!!!!!!!!!

coiclawn
08-12-2009, 09:39 AM
There, now I feel better.

A.T.A.K
08-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Yes they do suck!!!!

coiclawn
08-12-2009, 03:39 PM
What sucks even more is having to pay for Aloft or Arena. But I guess we don't have a choice.

greendoctor
08-12-2009, 04:19 PM
A big part of pest resistance is application technique. I can be dealing with chinch bug 12 months out of the year on a st augustine lawn planted in the wrong place(too hot, sunny, dry). I do not like granules when treating for pests that move around like chinch bug and sod webworm. I also do not like low pressure sprays that apply scattered drops far apart. I use a boom with solid cone nozzles running at 1 GPM each at 200PSI. 10 gallons per 1000 is my target application rate. Sevin will work on pyrethroid resistant chinch bug, however it must be sprayed into the turf with the intent of total coverage. This is a case of winning the race(fast applications, 1000 sq ft covered in a minute or less), but losing the war. I would rather spend the time, knowing that the application will do the job than just fly through a lawn. Another point is not rotating insecticides. I have mentioned before that applying chemicals that end in "thrin" even though they have different brand names is not a rotation. What I do not like seeing is how those same active ingredients are available to homeowners, yet Sevin is not commonly available.

coiclawn
08-12-2009, 09:39 PM
A big part of pest resistance is application technique. I can be dealing with chinch bug 12 months out of the year on a st augustine lawn planted in the wrong place(too hot, sunny, dry). I do not like granules when treating for pests that move around like chinch bug and sod webworm. I also do not like low pressure sprays that apply scattered drops far apart. I use a boom with solid cone nozzles running at 1 GPM each at 200PSI. 10 gallons per 1000 is my target application rate. Sevin will work on pyrethroid resistant chinch bug, however it must be sprayed into the turf with the intent of total coverage. This is a case of winning the race(fast applications, 1000 sq ft covered in a minute or less), but losing the war. I would rather spend the time, knowing that the application will do the job than just fly through a lawn. Another point is not rotating insecticides. I have mentioned before that applying chemicals that end in "thrin" even though they have different brand names is not a rotation. What I do not like seeing is how those same active ingredients are available to homeowners, yet Sevin is not commonly available.

Well aware of resistant causes and problems. And yes granules are useless in my opinion, however if I have my techs apply 10 gal. per 1000 that would only allow them to treat 50,000 before have to drive back to the office to refill the truck. Have worked with 4-5 gal. per 1000 for years with no problems using a wand, which takes 1 min. per 1000. Also sevin is not an option as far as cost goes. At the rates given it's almost as much as arena and aloft, however I do have to use it with bad problem areas from time to time. Am curious as to what other operators are doing in fla. I've heard rumors that some are charging extra for treating chinchbugs. And yet Truebrown has cut their costs again.(go figure)

tamadrummer
08-12-2009, 09:46 PM
My friend from Boltin is using the same 2 chemicals right now but is eating the cost until he can figure out what comes next.

This has been a really bad year for us in the green industry as far as cost goes. Nothing has come down but everyone wants a break.

WHAT ABOUT US????

For now just hang tight.....I guess.

Rick will hopefully chime in here, he is the FL expert that can shed some kind of light as to how to kill and be frugal at the same time.

bug-guy
08-12-2009, 10:03 PM
some options are dominion (generic merit) also seven will do a good job of knocking down or puting out a fire at very low rates. the less it gets used the more effective it is. it just has no residual

bug-guy
08-12-2009, 10:06 PM
look into doing a cb prevent spray in may or june and charge 10.00 per 1000

Ric
08-13-2009, 12:29 AM
Too Bad Lorsban-4E only has a Agriculture label. Chlorpyrifos being a Organophosphate would be a good rotation insecticide and always did a great job on Chinch Bugs when labelled as Dursban.

greendoctor
08-13-2009, 05:49 AM
What used to rock on chinch bug was Turcam(bendiocarb 70WP). Orthene or Dursban were also very good. Interestingly enough Orthene would still work if chinch bug was partially resistant to Dursban. I did have resistant chinch bug on one lawn back in the 1990's because the homeowner insisted on applying Dursban granules every month. The newer insecticides have the same problem attached because the last time I checked, a homeowner can buy bifenthrin, cyfluthrin or lambda-cyhalothrin at any big box, even in states that regulate usage of the same by LCOs as RUP.

greendoctor
08-13-2009, 06:05 AM
Well aware of resistant causes and problems. And yes granules are useless in my opinion, however if I have my techs apply 10 gal. per 1000 that would only allow them to treat 50,000 before have to drive back to the office to refill the truck. Have worked with 4-5 gal. per 1000 for years with no problems using a wand, which takes 1 min. per 1000. Also sevin is not an option as far as cost goes. At the rates given it's almost as much as arena and aloft, however I do have to use it with bad problem areas from time to time. Am curious as to what other operators are doing in fla. I've heard rumors that some are charging extra for treating chinchbugs. And yet Truebrown has cut their costs again.(go figure)

What does Sevin cost anyway? Off patent carbaryl flowable or 80WP works the same as long as it has a T&O label. I always price a lawn based on certain what ifs. Chinch bug, sedges and Take All patch are my what ifs.