PDA

View Full Version : Need Your Thoughts Before Buying

HARRIS Property Management
08-12-2009, 05:55 PM
I am about ready to pull the trigger on a Ride-On Spreader/Sprayer. Most of my accounts are under 1/2 acre. Ive narrowed my choices to a Turfco T3000, Z-Spray Jr or a Pathfinder by Groundlogic. The Z and the 3000 seemed priced about the same (around $8500) and the Pathfinder is $6500. I wasnt impressed with all the plastic on the Permagreens for the price. Does anyone have any experiece with these that you could offer some advice. I do like the reel option and the boom that comes with the Z but Im just not sure about plunking down the extra $2000. Being my first ride on I had started out looking for used units but havent had much luck. Any thoughts from you more experienced guys greatly appreciated.

RABBITMAN11
08-12-2009, 06:11 PM
I posted pics of my used equipment! I take good care of my Stuff, text book maintenance
The z plugger has a sprayer unit with it as well.

grass4gas
08-12-2009, 06:24 PM
I have been using a PG Centri for almost 10 years which was my first ride on. The damn thing just keeps on working, although some parts are starting to wear out and are in need of replacing. It really has been a good machine, but I don't know if I want to spend a couple thousand in parts. It runs great, but it is just a matter of time.

Like you, my accounts average around 15-20,000 square feet. If you can't find a used PG in decent shape...there are some folks on here who probably have a used one to sell...I would be inclined to go with the Z or T3000. Don't know much about the Ground Logic, except for what I have read.

I will be checking out both units myself this winter for a possible purchase. As far as the Z goes, I may just check out the new mini max unit. I like the idea that I can carry it on a rack, as that is what I do now with my PG.

Last I heard, the PG Magnums were around $7200. I think I paid $4200 for the one I have now. What ever your choice is, I don't think you can go wrong. There is no one perfect machine out there, so tailor it to best suit you.

Good luck

turfcobob
08-12-2009, 06:49 PM
The Turfco T3000 is an excellent unit for the size properties you are talking about. Larry from American Lawn, Desmoine has mostly the same size of lots. He has two T 3000 units and is very satisfied with them The T has two spread widths 12 foot and 18 foot for a 6 foot effective and 9 foot effective and spray widths of 4 foot (good for trim), 6 foot and 9 foot to match the spread width. The unit will carry 270 pounds of fert and 16 gallons of liquid, enough to do over 60,000 sq. ft. per fill. The hand wand has a 15 foot hose so you can get into the real tight spots. It has to be really tight not to allow the 35 inch wide T into it. It is great on hills up to 30 degree and after that you are on your own. It is very precise with a spyker spreader and all hypro spray system and it drives like your car. A very precise trim virtually gets rid of your hand cans. Turfco has specials and financing going on right now. Call Turfco at 800-679-8201 ext 119 or you can call me
turfcobob 402-432-2446

08-12-2009, 08:13 PM
I posted pics of my used equipment! I take good care of my Stuff, text book maintenance
The z plugger has a sprayer unit with it as well.

Rabbitman, PM me your phone number

Josh.S
08-13-2009, 07:57 PM
I am about ready to pull the trigger on a Ride-On Spreader/Sprayer. Most of my accounts are under 1/2 acre. Ive narrowed my choices to a Turfco T3000, Z-Spray Jr or a Pathfinder by Groundlogic. The Z and the 3000 seemed priced about the same (around $8500) and the Pathfinder is $6500. I wasnt impressed with all the plastic on the Permagreens for the price. Does anyone have any experiece with these that you could offer some advice. I do like the reel option and the boom that comes with the Z but Im just not sure about plunking down the extra $2000. Being my first ride on I had started out looking for used units but havent had much luck. Any thoughts from you more experienced guys greatly appreciated.

A T300 is 8600 and a Zspray Junior is 7600 (or pretty close). So you're paying only 1000 more than the pathfinder basically for a Z.

Scan through some of the past debates on here and you will find lots of information that should help make or break your decision. Just remember than many members of this forum have a very biased and narrow opinion on their machine, so some things should be taken with a grain of salt.

If you are searching through the forums for opinions... You should know that americanlawn, Real Green, and turfcobob are affialitaed with Turfco. Their opinions may or may not be biased. It is up for you to decide but I believe that their affiliation should be known.

My $.02 though is that if you are going to get a Z you my as well get an Intermediate. Reason being, the only differences between a Junior and Intermediate is the hopper size and rear tires. For $500 more you get twice as big as hopper and wider, more stable tires. It will still get through a 4 foot gate like a junior will.

Good luck!

RABBITMAN11
08-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Nice Point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way i'm not biased ........LOL

08-14-2009, 05:45 PM
If you are searching through the forums for opinions... You should know that americanlawn, Real Green, and turfcobob are affialitaed with Turfco. Their opinions may or may not be biased. It is up for you to decide but I believe that their affiliation should be known.

I picked up on it through several PM meassages and postings. Thanks for the heads up and the information.

turfcobob
08-14-2009, 06:52 PM
A T300 is 8600 and a Zspray Junior is 7600 (or pretty close). So you're paying only 1000 more than the pathfinder basically for a Z.

Scan through some of the past debates on here and you will find lots of information that should help make or break your decision. Just remember than many members of this forum have a very biased and narrow opinion on their machine, so some things should be taken with a grain of salt.

My $.02 though is that if you are going to get a Z you my as well get an Intermediate. Reason being, the only differences between a Junior and Intermediate is the hopper size and rear tires. For $500 more you get twice as big as hopper and wider, more stable tires. It will still get through a 4 foot gate like a junior will.

Good luck!

Let's get our facts straight. Turfcobob works at Turfco. American Lawn and Real Green are good customers and friends. They also advise us on what they want to see in a ride on. That is their affiliation with Turfco. Much like RCreech and all the guys are to LT Rich. Do not make it sound like they work for Turfco they do not. They just like Turfco and their equipment.

Josh.S
08-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Let's get our facts straight. Turfcobob works at Turfco. American Lawn and Real Green are good customers and friends. They also advise us on what they want to see in a ride on. That is their affiliation with Turfco. Much like RCreech and all the guys are to LT Rich. Do not make it sound like they work for Turfco they do not. They just like Turfco and their equipment.

I did not say that they worked at Turfco but I know for a fact that they help move the machines. Mat (Real Green) is even going around giving demo's of the T3000 and selling parts.

EVM
08-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Get a Z Spray, you can't get a better machine that has the ability to do many things. The Z is the same price if not cheaper than the T3. Call up the guys at LT Rich for a demo, you will love the machine.

RigglePLC
08-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Fertilizer is corrosive. Nothing wrong with plastic on a PG--it will not rust. Anything that is not stainless steel or plastic will rust. If copper it will corrode. Aluminum will corrode.

Take a careful look at older machines. You will soon get a feel for where the corrosion problems will occur. Even it the machine is mostly stainless, the drive motor is usually not corrosion proof. The transmission may have an aluminum outer case.

Make sure you can operate all controls while wearing gloves.

Demo it with water and practice spraying around bushes. Make sure you undersstand how to easily calibrate. Try to find a dealer near you so your new unit can be fixed and maintained, or you have the skill to do it yourself. Make sure it is stable on hills. Mke sure you can transport the unit safely.

SpreadNSpray
08-15-2009, 12:34 AM
Fertilizer is corrosive. Nothing wrong with plastic on a PG--it will not rust. Anything that is not stainless steel or plastic will rust. If copper it will corrode. Aluminum will corrode.

Take a careful look at older machines. You will soon get a feel for where the corrosion problems will occur. Even it the machine is mostly stainless, the drive motor is usually not corrosion proof. The transmission may have an aluminum outer case.

Demo it with water and practice spraying around bushes. Make sure you undersstand how to easily calibrate. Try to find a dealer near you so your new unit can be fixed and maintained, or you have the skill to do it yourself. Make sure it is stable on hills. Mke sure you can transport the unit safely.

great advise as usual from Riggle.

rcreech
08-15-2009, 12:35 AM
I did not say that they worked at Turfco but I know for a fact that they help move the machines. Mat (Real Green) is even going around giving demo's of the T3000 and selling parts.

Josh,

I know Larry as you do and he is a great guy and has been a very stong advocate on here for the T-3000. Even though he has gone over the top many times...he loves his machine. He has strongly tried to voice his opinion on here and although I don't like his approch, I respect him and his opinions.

As far as Real Green...he too is a very good friend of mine and I have yet to see him boast on here about the T-3000. I have never seen him "out of line" when talking about the T. He has always stated that buy what best suits your needs.

He is like me...I will tell everyone what I think of the machine, but I will never beg a person to use what I do. I don't really care if anyone else is using the best machine on the market, but I do feel it is my responsibility to let them know what they are missing out on!!!!

Are you sure you got the right guy when talking about Real Green???

turfcobob
08-15-2009, 10:54 AM

Good comments from Riggle.

I would like to add that Rhino hide coating and Power Coat Paint will also seal carbon steel from corrosive materials. BUT the whole key to the life of any of these machines is Cleaning and PM. I tour the entire country and visit large and small lawn companies. I have seen 5 year old PGs that look new and I have seen one year old Zs ready for the scrap heap. All in the PM and care of what you buy. If you take todays components and care for them properly you will get years of service out of them. Let them sit around for days / weeks with wet fert eating them away and well...It would be like pouring wet fert on you truck and letting it sit there. Get my drift..Hope so. We all build really good machines and properly cared for a T, Z or PG will serve you a long time and make you a lot of $$$

Josh.S
08-15-2009, 11:26 AM
As far as Real Green...he too is a very good friend of mine and I have yet to see him boast on here about the T-3000. I have never seen him "out of line" when talking about the T. He has always stated that buy what best suits your needs.

He is like me...I will tell everyone what I think of the machine, but I will never beg a person to use what I do. I don't really care if anyone else is using the best machine on the market, but I do feel it is my responsibility to let them know what they are missing out on!!!!

Are you sure you got the right guy when talking about Real Green???

I did not say that any of them are "out of line" or anything. I was just pointing out that the main promoters of the T3k appear to have strong ties with Turfco. I think Real Green and Larry are good guys, I was just pointing out that they are strongly tied to Turfco.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=280119

Anyways, they all seem to be alright machines. If I had a machine to do all small lawns though I would try to get a demo of the Ground logic. It looks like a improved permagreen.

turfcobob
08-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Turfco, has quite a few friends with close ties. Years of doing business direct has cemented some close friendships like the ones with American Lawn and Jonny Nichols. It is just that most of them are not vocal on Lawnsite. Some do not even know what Lawnsite is. You cannot be in business for over 60 years without making some friends.

RABBITMAN11
08-15-2009, 10:38 PM
As far as Machines rusting and being eaten alive by fert you are correct cleaning is key! Perma greens hold up well to corrosion and so do z's but i will guarantee that the t3000 will rust out far faster than the permagreen or the z.
Reason very little stainless, plain and simple the t-3 will wear out much quicker.

Over priced for what you get! JMO

FdLLawnMan
08-15-2009, 10:50 PM
As far as Machines rusting and being eaten alive by fert you are correct cleaning is key! Perma greens hold up well to corrosion and so do z's but i will guarantee that the t3000 will rust out far faster than the permagreen or the z.
Reason very little stainless, plain and simple the t-3 will wear out much quicker.

That is absolute crap. I have a T3000 and have only seen rust on a few bolts. The frame is powder coated 1/4 steel for crying out loud. The rest of it is stainless. Hey, I know you are a Z groupie, but know what you are talking about before shooting your mouth off.

RABBITMAN11
08-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Dude your so blind the machine has hardly any stainless,
powder coating will rust fast. The machine will rust apart, unless cleaned everday.I have owned several machines, I can assure no matter how well you clean a machine thats not stainless its going to rust. You would think a machine that was far more advanced, as you guys say would come standard with stainless.......Hellooooo. As far as only buying z's get your facts right. I have other equipment besides theirs. Besides I'm not biased, I just know what is the best money can buy. This comes from years of working with differant equipment.

RABBITMAN11
08-15-2009, 11:15 PM
By the way, where is all of this so called stainless Mike?

FdLLawnMan
08-16-2009, 12:02 AM
By the way, where is all of this so called stainless Mike?

The A-frame is stainless and the front steering assembly is stainless, along with the return springs and miscellanious other parts. You do know that it doesn't have to be stainless too not corrode, don't you? Powder coated steel is nearly as resistant to corrosion as stainless. I worked in engineering for the largest manufacturer of marine engines. You want to see corrosion, go run engines in saltwater. The engines were aluminum and we used a lot of powder coated steel and aluminum because it was as resistant to corrosion and either stronger, easier to work with, or less expensive. I have almost 400 hours on my T and corrosion is not an issue.

RABBITMAN11
08-16-2009, 12:12 AM
Totally disagree about powder coating, it maybe better than plain steel but will easily corrode. I have had equipment that is powder coated, and i'm anal about up keep on equipment, and it still rusts... Period. Full stainless is the way to go, even stainless can still rust..... I have over 1000 hours on one of our ride ons and there is no rust anywhere on the frame of the Z.

FdLLawnMan
08-16-2009, 02:07 AM
Totally disagree about powder coating, it maybe better than plain steel but will easily corrode. I have had equipment that is powder coated, and i'm anal about up keep on equipment, and it still rusts... Period. Full stainless is the way to go, even stainless can still rust..... I have over 1000 hours on one of our ride ons and there is no rust anywhere on the frame of the Z.

Well you may say that but powder coating does not "easily" corrode. It only corrodes if the powder coating gets chipped. The frame on my T shows no rust whatsoever.

humble1
08-17-2009, 09:27 PM
I love my z spray only 20 hours old. Cant imagine anyone will give you service like z spray. Andy and Ray are top notch

turfcobob
08-18-2009, 12:15 AM

Is all your knowlege about the T based on your long relationship with one. Or just your own personal assumptions? We have machines out that are several years old and not rust. How do you account for that?

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-18-2009, 12:34 AM
Is all your knowlege about the T based on your long relationship with one. Or just your own personal assumptions? We have machines out that are several years old and not rust. How do you account for that?

Hmmm... Why would there even be a market for stainless steel, if powder coated steel holds up just as well?:dizzy: Stainless sure does cost more!

RABBITMAN11
08-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Hmmm... Why would there even be a market for stainless steel, if powder coated steel holds up just as well?:dizzy: Stainless sure does cost more!

I'm confused turfco bob I thought Larry had the first unit? So how would you have units out there for several years! Everytime you guys boast about the t, it never adds up!
Posted via Mobile Device

turfcobob
08-18-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm confused turfco bob I thought Larry had the first unit? So how would you have units out there for several years! Everytime you guys boast about the t, it never adds up!
Posted via Mobile Device

Larry has the first unit purchased by a customer. We had units out 4 years before Larry bought his. And why does our methods have to add up in your head. We are not about to divulge everything we do especially not on lawnsite. If you want to see how things really add up get to know us or come visit us like Larry and some others do. Do not get all your facts from the internet.

RABBITMAN11
08-18-2009, 06:05 PM
So your saying that powder coated doesn't rust? Is power coating better than stainless? Does stainless cost more than powder coating? Why is the t cost more than the Z? Tell me what makes the T a better choice and what does it feature that makes it cost more than the Z. Your quick to correct everyone about the T, but when Larry says something that is completely un believable you say nothing. So basically what your saying is Larry's Tales of the T isn't true!