PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been rejected due to lack of personnel?

SunsationalLandServices
08-12-2009, 07:02 PM
I put in a bid on a property this week and was turned down since they "went with a larger crew" and "thought the job may be too much for me". Am I right for being insulted or is that just the way it goes? The property was 1.5 acres, mostly open lawn area, some tight spots, and hedge trimming monthy. I bid it at $60/wk mowing & $60/mo hedge trimming. I figured this bases on 2hrs @ $30/hr. I admit I am kinda new to this and it is just me, but I've done similar jobs and know I am perfectly capable of handling it, plus I have good equipment - 60" chopper and all stihl equip. in a very nice enclosed trailer. Oh well, just venting I suppose!

Jimslawncareservice
08-12-2009, 07:15 PM
your equipment is more than enough. i have seen people mow more acres with a 36'' wb. in one day i have mowed 12 acres at 4 sites with a 445 jd tractor mower and 54'' deck. NOt sure what to tell you. maybe they under bid you and didn't want to say that. seems a little cheap too, but i don't don't know your area

SunsationalLandServices
08-12-2009, 07:51 PM
That's what I can't figure out. I went a little low due to the fact that it is just me (lower overhead). A crew of 3 or 4 would have to be more?!

LouisianaLawnboy
08-12-2009, 08:05 PM
your equipment is more than enough. i have seen people mow more acres with a 36'' wb. in one day i have mowed 12 acres at 4 sites with a 445 jd tractor mower and 54'' deck. NOt sure what to tell you. maybe they under bid you and didn't want to say that. seems a little cheap too, but i don't don't know your area

48 acres wirh an old ride on. No WAY.
Posted via Mobile Device

Greenboy24
08-12-2009, 08:28 PM
12 acres at 4 different sites = 3 acres per stop assuming they were all the same size....at least that is how I read it

Triplex
08-12-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm guessing they may have had difficulty in the past with a new LCO who got in over his head, and are wary of small operations. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe they want to minimize the amount of time noisy machinery is present, and would rather have a big crew in and out fast than you working 2 hours by yourself.

SunsationalLandServices
08-12-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm guessing they may have had difficulty in the past with a new LCO who got in over his head, and are wary of small operations. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe they want to minimize the amount of time noisy machinery is present, and would rather have a big crew in and out fast than you working 2 hours by yourself.

I guess, the thing is, is that i was recommended to them by someone else so I don't get it. The fact that they told me they did't think I could handle it is still pretty insulting though! I may be smaller and newer than some, but I am no two bit operation!

Florida Gardener
08-12-2009, 09:30 PM
when i first started reading your post, i thought you put a bid on a large commercial site. 1.5 acres is nothing! I think your prices are a little too low, but with that Dixie and mostly open areas, you should easily be able to tackle that account. See what happens, they might not be happy with this "big op."

Good luck man! good to see more Florida cats on here.

STIHL GUY
08-12-2009, 10:51 PM
you would have been able to do that property easily

lifetree
08-12-2009, 11:13 PM
12 acres at 4 different sites = 3 acres per stop assuming they were all the same size....at least that is how I read it

That makes alot more sense !!

lifetree
08-12-2009, 11:18 PM
your equipment is more than enough. ... maybe they under bid you and didn't want to say that. ...

I'm guessing they may have had difficulty in the past with a new LCO who got in over his head, and are wary of small operations. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe they want to minimize the amount of time noisy machinery is present ...

It could be anyone of these things, or, a combination of them ... me, I'd be willing to bet it's having had problems befroe with a small LCO !!

... See what happens, they might not be happy with this "big op." ...

Yes, just follow it and see if it may come back to you !!

LouisianaLawnboy
08-13-2009, 12:22 AM

I got that the second time.

That makes alot more sense !!

It can be read correctly both ways. The first time I thought is 48 hrs, and then I looked again and saw how it could be 12 total.

LouisianaLawnboy
08-13-2009, 12:24 AM
I guess, the thing is, is that i was recommended to them by someone else so I don't get it. The fact that they told me they did't think I could handle it is still pretty insulting though! I may be smaller and newer than some, but I am no two bit operation!

Since you said you were new. I'm going to tell you to go back and rethink what you told him. It was probably something you told him that made him not trust you with the job, and then he made an easy excuse about the size of your company. Then it could be the other guy gave a way cheaper bid, he knew the other guy, and bribery. :dizzy:

You live and learn.:usflag:

SunsationalLandServices
08-13-2009, 07:13 AM
Thanks to everyone for your support! This is a great site with great people!:drinkup:

Jimslawncareservice
08-13-2009, 10:42 AM

yup thats correct. All simular in size. i mostly use my scag tt now with the 61'' deck.

jada86
08-14-2009, 08:10 AM
I wouldn't take that personal at all. Just move on to someone who appreciates your smaller operation. If you were dealing with a property mgt. co. then they are used to dealing with bigger operations, but they never get the service out of them like a smaller one. $60 is much too low for Florida in my opinion. Do send a thank you note for the opportunity to bid as you never know when they might be in need of a smaller operation down the road. That they will remember!!

White Gardens
08-14-2009, 09:35 AM
I saw this thread and thought it was interesting.

As a solo op, with the occasional helper, most of my customers seem to appreciate the smaller size of my company. Too many times I've seen large landscape crews or mowing companies with one or two guys working, and the others jacking around.

One of the largest mow companies I've seen only runs two, two man crews. They got more done in one day than some bigger crews do in a week.

rjh4758
08-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Like said above they may have had problems with a small LCO not hold up to their end.

Or like a lot of places that take in bids if the low baller(s) are to low compared to other bids they may through them out of consideration. Mainly because the low ball price is not realistic. The logic behind this is you will not make a profit and not hold out your obligation because you were losing money with them or wil a do less than adequate job- you get what you pay for. This method is used on a lot of types of bidding . They are not going to come out and say " we decided to go with someone else because you were too cheap".

THEGOLDPRO
08-17-2009, 04:43 PM
you prolly didnty sell yourself very good when you met the customer, were you nervous?? or alittle scared looking maybe???, maybe you were second guessing yourself?? im sure the customer picked up on something you said, or how youi carried yourself, and just didnt think you could handle it.

if so you need to walk into future estimates and be confident, make them think you could do anything they ever asked, even if you kind of know you cant. most of the time your prices dont sell the customer so much as your attitude, and how much they like/trust you.

msclawn
08-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Follow-up with the person who gave you the lead and see if they can get the scoop.

QLC-Texas
08-21-2009, 01:39 AM
Here is another possibility. My company has 4 maintenance crews, and I have had commercial accounts/property managers tell me this personally. They are sometimes weary of one man operations due to the fact that it is just 1 man. In other words, can you still maintain the job on the same day of the week if something happens to your equipment and it has to go into the shop? What if you get sick for 3-4 days? Does this mean their property doesn't get done that week? These are the types of things they worry about with smaller operations. On the other hand for example, a company with 4-5 crews and 8-10 commercial zero turn mowers, along with everything else, can make up for equipment in the shop, sick personel, etc. I'm not saying that was this clients reasoning, just saying I've heard it before. Hope this helps.

SomervilleLawncare
08-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Being small I've learned you will get both types of customers: The ones who appreciate that you are small and give them extra attention, and those who would rather just go with the big company that they know. I've had many people tell me that they chose to go with a larger opperation who could offer them more services (even though I offer everything they do). Send them a thank you letter and move on. Goodluck!