PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me what these worm are?

spray_man
08-12-2009, 09:23 PM
The worms are seen mainly when it rains. In these pics they are on the pool deck.

Jason Rose
08-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Earthworms / Nightcrawlers. I usually call the ones that big nightcrawlers.

They are benifical for the soil, but if there gets to be too many their castings around their holes can almost ruin the use-ability of a lawn. Walk out- twist an ankle, try to mow- mower just bounces everywhere...

indyturf
08-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Lets Go Fishin!!!

kirk1701
08-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Lets Go Fishin!!!

I second that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsGOX7DMVCg

:usflag:

spray_man
08-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Looked at them this AM. They are very small, the biggest ones are about an inch long. They travel from flooded/wet plant beds to dry ground, mainly in the cool evenings or mornings. Never seen in the heat of day, unless dead on the driveway (fried).

Stillwater
08-13-2009, 01:18 PM
time to do some fishin

spray_man
08-13-2009, 02:31 PM
What do I use miniature hooks?

indyturf
08-13-2009, 04:55 PM
They looked bigger in the pics! lol

spray_man
08-13-2009, 05:39 PM
I know, I told the guy that took them to put a coin or a ruler next to them.

Think Green
08-13-2009, 10:48 PM
You are kidding right??
I can't recall someone not knowing what earthworms are!!!!
Not insulting your intelligence spray man, but who is this customer a 6 year old.??

Stillwater
08-13-2009, 11:42 PM
You are kidding right??
I can't recall someone not knowing what earthworms are!!!!
Not insulting your intelligence spray man, but who is this customer a 6 year old.??

No he was not kidding, he was using the lawnsite forum for what it is intended to be used for, asking questions and communicating. this is what lawnsite is for it is not for anything else.

Jason Rose
08-14-2009, 01:07 AM
Yeah, from the pics I really thought they were the HUGE nightcrawlers I've seen on some occasions. I've seen them about 8 to 9 inches long... Thought it was a damn snake!

Then find out that the GIANTS in the pic are actually TINY... Either way, I still think they are earthworms, but just babies now, lol.

ted putnam
08-14-2009, 01:39 AM
I've always been told, "It's not how deep you fish but how you wiggle your worm!" Around here, those are called "fish bait":laugh:

dKoester
08-14-2009, 01:50 AM
I don't see a clitellum (fat section) of an earthworm on these worms. You might laugh at that word.

spray_man
08-14-2009, 12:33 PM
You are not insulting me. Although the worms come from the earth/ground/mulch they are very small. I have never seen earth worms coming out of the ground and slither on the driveways, and pool deck? In large numbers. Are they very small earth worms? are they baby earth worms? I was just curious, ans so was my 6 year old customer :laugh:

spray_man
08-14-2009, 12:41 PM
I don't see a clitellum (fat section) of an earthworm on these worms. You might laugh at that word.

Thanks for the info dKoester. Without looking at a picture of an earthworm, is the fat area like a small lump that is a slightly different color? I'll start looking for a picture of an earthworm now.

spray_man
08-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Found one.

grassguy_
08-14-2009, 02:32 PM
look like the typical red blood worms used for fishing. stick one on a hook and see if it shoots blood all over when doing so then that's what you got.

dKoester
08-14-2009, 02:39 PM
The skin pattern looks to be similar to a shovel worm.

Think Green
08-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Typically, around the concrete areas and sidewalks, just after rainy periods and watering; these types of worms will emerge from the soil as it is often saturated. They will look for higher ground and less water. After rains, these worms crawl on the pavements and then fry. My customers lawns are covered with them during cooler morings and thus gives way for the mole to be on the prowl. Birds love them and so do my dogs..............LOL!! I won't mention the toads.........??
I know that this forum is for the inquisitive reader, just sometimes a question regarding typical problems is often mistaken as a deceitful loaded thread. I did not intend on creating a monster with my response. I was taken aback by the curiosity of the question...........that is all!!
The panel answered the question.........!!!

RigglePLC
08-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Remember a large number of boa constrictors escaped during Hurricane Katrina.

spray_man
08-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Here's a link to video of the worms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9UHBjpRjMU

spray_man
08-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Any way to "lower the population" of these worms? I have two customers side by side, that are looking for answers on Monday. I hear salt works around the plant beds. Is this true? I know the worms are beneficial, but in high numbers, they are a pain.

RigglePLC
08-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Armadillos would probably eat them. Crows, too. If you treat for chinch bugs with insecticide Sevin that might help. Rumors say earthworms are hard to find after carbaryl treatment