PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Allan Block Garden Accent?

MDLawn
08-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Just wanted opinions. They say to use only 2" for the base. These stones do not retain anything just make a border. Any opinions on the 2" of base stone versus 6" for retaining walls? Would this cause the border to shift? Again I am in the northeastern part of the states so lots of freeze/thaw. Any opininons or actual use of these would be appreciated.

klaf
08-13-2009, 11:37 PM
I would put way more than a 2 inch base. I'm northern ontario so I have to deal with a lot of freeze thaw as well and you can't always go by what they say. Do what works best in your climate. I wish I could get away with 2 inches of base, or even six for that matter.

In my opinion if you only put a two inch base you will be back to fix it next year. i use allan block all the time and always have atleast 2 feet of good solid base.

MDLawn
08-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Wow 2 feet! Even just for a little border wall. I even attended an Allan Block training, it was up here in the northeast, and they never talked about using more than 6-8".

klaf
08-15-2009, 05:23 PM
well maybe not for a 1 course border wall but i would still go down atleast a foot. The thing is a lot of those allan block reps just now the literature that is provided to them and not what actually works best

The 2 to 3 feet of base is generally for the retaining walls that we do