PDA

View Full Version : Dallisgrass post-emerg control

n-green
08-14-2009, 10:39 AM
I need to control Dallisgrass in Fescue. Also, my univ. web-site says Dithiopyr and Prodiamine will control it pre-emerg,but I used both in rd1 and 2. It didn,t work and I don't see Dallisgrass on either label. Any experience out there?

RAlmaroad
08-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Dallisgrass is NOT an annual but a perennial grassy weed. So you need a post-emergent such MSMA and Certainty to begin to control it in Tall Fescue. It will take at least two, maybe three, applications. BE AWARE and read label on the Certainty. Tall Fescue is not Red or Creeping Fescue. Do a search here and find posts dealing with it. Roy

Think Green
08-15-2009, 05:23 PM
n-green,
Here is another thing to consider.............!
If the dallisgrass has gone to seed, then treat and control what you can. This grass is a perennial and will be hard as heck to take it out once it gets started. Multiple applications will need to be administered.!!
Preemerges are usually not labeled for dallisgrass control, so the postemerges will need to be purchased.
Keeping the mowers cleaned occassionally will control the spread of this weed. Bagging of the lawns and discarding of the seed pods and stalks is the only source of maintenance practices. Controlling the number of outbreaks and taking out the large clumps and the other turf can grow in their spots.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Do they allow Dallasgrass in Fort Worth?

Think Green
08-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Do they allow Dallasgrass in Fort Worth?

HA HA!!!!

The last time I heard, they were smoking it during the games.???

ted putnam
08-16-2009, 01:53 AM
I read an interesting article on Dallisgrass control the other day. I have been looking into different combinations and even doing a little testing myself here at my house. Anyway, the article I read was on the net and was done by the Auburn University Turfgrass Dept. (I believe). It stated that About 90 % control could be achieved by spraying a 5-8 oz/acre rate of glyphosate between Sept and Nov 2 times. Apparently, this is the time where the plant is storing sugars and it goes straight to the roots. This is very close to 3 sequential treatments of MSMA in the summer. The biggest problem I see with it is the new customer waiting until the end of the season for Dallisgrass control...Just thought I'd share what I'd found.:)

Think Green
08-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Ted,
I've read the same type of article, but it is funny that around September, October, and November, the Dallisgrass is browning out around here. I am sure that it is browning out in your neck of the woods too! At .11 to .18 oz./K for this time of the season, and grasses going semit dormant for us, Gly is used anyway to control some of the early poa. Our golf course supers are spraying the roughs and fairways at these times, but the gly has to be monitored pretty closely. I don't think our buddies with cool season grasses would appreciate the after affects of gly being sprayed even at those rates on their green grasses. Warm season turf isn't affected too severely at those rates.

ted putnam
08-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Ted,
I've read the same type of article, but it is funny that around September, October, and November, the Dallisgrass is browning out around here. I am sure that it is browning out in your neck of the woods too! At .11 to .18 oz./K for this time of the season, and grasses going semit dormant for us, Gly is used anyway to control some of the early poa. Our golf course supers are spraying the roughs and fairways at these times, but the gly has to be monitored pretty closely. I don't think our buddies with cool season grasses would appreciate the after affects of gly being sprayed even at those rates on their green grasses. Warm season turf isn't affected too severely at those rates.

Yes, my fault. I forgot to include that this was a 2006 study for Dallisgrass control in Bermuda.