PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda in KYB

rcreech
08-14-2009, 06:42 PM
I have a lawn that has Bermuda in KYB.

I have never dealt with Bermuda before so wanted to see if you all could help.

As far as I am aware gly is the only answer...do you know of any selective products to take Bermuda out of KYB?

Thanks,
R

RigglePLC
08-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Bayer makes such a product. The active ingredients are triclopyr and Acclaim. I was not successful in Michigan--but the customer stopped treatments after only 3 times.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Read the label for Turflon (a Dow product) Active is Triclopyr ester. Takes repeat applications over time. I have also been told that Acclaim applied with it helps. Syngenta rep told me guys on golf courses & sod farms mix those together with Tenacity for great results! Unfortunately Tenacity not available yet:cry:

lawnspecialties
08-16-2009, 09:02 AM
I just picked up a new full-service customer with tall-fescue and irrigation. On the southwest corner of the house, he has a huge bermudagrass invasion. I've given him two options since it's so close to reseeding time.

1. Overseed heavily with tall-fescue in September and just try to keep it thick next season to minimize the bermuda.

2. Before we reseed, spray the bermuda areas with Glyphosate. It'll be an ugly brown dead spot but next year, there will be minimal bermuda to deal with.

I have a feeling we'll do option #2 which I think in the long run will be the best choice.

RigglePLC
08-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Winterkill might work. Can you get the soil temp down to minus 10? Otherwise I would go with option 2. Others can advise you better, however I have heard you can spray the Roundup and sow seed the same day. The Bermuda dies, and the next week up comes the seed. Quick as a wink--not much disruption at all.

I think Rod Creech has discussed this. Wait you are Rod!

lawnspecialties
08-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Winterkill might work. Can you get the soil temp down to minus 10? Otherwise I would go with option 2. Others can advise you better, however I have heard you can spray the Roundup and sow seed the same day. The Bermuda dies, and the next week up comes the seed. Quick as a wink--not much disruption at all.

I think Rod Creech has discussed this. Wait you are Rod!

Not so sure about the minus 10. Heck, we have an occasional winter here where it never gets below the 20s. Typically, we'll see a few nights in the teens and once in a while, we might see a single digit temperature night. At least in the original poster, he's in Ohio.

Yes, spraying the RoundUp and immediately reseeding is perfectly acceptable. I like to do it maybe a week before to make sure I don't need to respray an area.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-16-2009, 02:39 PM

That procedure won't work for Bermuda because it spreads via stolons & rhizomes. When slice seeding, you would disturb rhizomes & stolons before there is sufficient time for the gly to work it's way through all areas of the plant. In fact, slit seeding through Bermuda when it is still alive causes it to spread more aggressively, as there will be growth from the cut ends of stolons & rhizomes. Best way is to spray with gly when it is actively growing, wait a couple of weeks & spray again to kill off any regrowth, or missed areas-otherwise you'll be back at square 1:cry:

Not much hope for Winterkill either-We had a bitter cold Winter last year & Bermuda around here is as gowing & happy as ever:cry:

grassmasterswilson
08-16-2009, 09:40 PM
there are a couple of products that will target the bermuda only. one is fusalade (SP?) or ornamaz. My rep said they were good for fescue, so I can assume that kbg would be fine. He thought you could spray over ornamentals to. He said the best time was just before dormacy (to get a goot fall re seed stand) and then just as it is coming out of dormancy.