PDA

View Full Version : Equipment age

rixtag
04-23-2002, 10:00 AM
Hello, I am interested in buying an Excel z-rider. I was wondering if you can tell the age of a mower by the serial or model #. I would also like to to know some history of the mower as far as reliability to help make a more educated purchase.
The model # is 923912. The serial # is 4825671. the hour meter is showing about 200 hours. According to the owner it was only used once weekly on a larger home. He indicates that it was over maintained according to the amount of use. Any info you can provide would be very helpful. It appears to be at least 10 years old.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Artman
04-24-2002, 09:38 AM
You are looking at a Model 251K that was built in April of 1988. If its has been well maintained and only has 200 hours on it, you can expect to get a lot more life out of it.

rixtag
04-24-2002, 09:54 AM
Thanks Artman , I appreciate the info. I do have a couple other questions though.
I noticed that the deck is adjusted with a crank and suspended with cloth belts. How reliable and accurate is this system? Is there an update to cables or something less fragile? Also, if the hours are acurate what would a machine like this be worth. I realize that it is hard without looking, but I am only looking for an estimate. Last question, Is there a particular problem to look for on this model that might be expensive to repair if overlooked?

thanks again for the info,

Rick

Artman
04-26-2002, 09:16 AM
The nylon straps were/are very strong, not fragile at all. What we learned is that they tend to stretch over a cold, wet night and would throw the cutting heights off. Then, as the day wears on, they contracted and heights were off again.

I'm guessing it is worth somewhere in the $2-3,000.00 range.

I am unaware of any major problems with this unit. One annoying little problem was the tendency to break pump belts. And it is not real easy to install. If it has a BAC-VAC catcher you will find that it is the best catching system in the world. You NEVER have to manually unplug it. Just open the hopper and rev the engine and it is unplugged!

rixtag
04-29-2002, 02:28 PM
Thanks Artman. I will be making an offer today and we will see how it goes. I appreciate the help and the info.

Thanks

Rick

rixtag
06-11-2002, 04:40 PM
Artman, I have decided to purchase this mower. I would like to get the maintenance schedule, parts manual and a repair manual for it. Where can I get this info and how much time to get it? I would also like to know if the deck width is 51" or is the cut 51"?

If you want to, you can email me and I will give you my phone #.

Thanks again.
Rick

mowerconsultant
06-12-2002, 09:14 PM
The manuals can be ordered from any Hustler dealer, they can order them and ship them to you, should not take more than a few days.
I am not positive on the actual widths but I believe it to be 50" cut, and 52" actual width.

Later
Pj