PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Nutsedge and Crabgrass Control

bruces10
08-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Can anyone provide their recommendation on how best to control/eliminate Yellow Nutsedge and Crabgrass? I'm located in West Central Alabama and have had a particular problem this year with these weeds. Any advice you can provide is appreciated. Thanks.

kirk1701
08-15-2009, 11:05 AM
If your doing a large area and need to spray, guys here are recommending Sedgehammer (http://www.gowanco.com/products/sedgehammer/Default.aspx), and a couple other herbicides.

Small area and if you have the time, I've had great results doing this by hand but its time consuming. MSMA mixed 1 ounce to a quart of watter in a coffee can and paint on has done wonders for me. Just remember, medical glove ontop of cotton glove. :drinkup:

RigglePLC
08-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Bruce,
For crabgrass you are probably too late. Best product for summer time crabgrass control is a product containing quinclorac. Like Drive. Or like new Ortho Weed and Crabgrass Killer. But if it has gone to seed--it is in the mature stage--bigger and tougher. Plan on numerous repeat treatments. Is this is bermuda? Zoysia? St Aug? Fescue? I do not know the possibilities for different products in the southern grasses. Hire get an experienced professional company, that has personal service. They will get you squared away in the fall, and make sure you get a good crabgrass preventer in spring. They can also help you with the Sedgehammer for nutsedge, (even the small container is expensive.)

lawnspecialties
08-15-2009, 01:26 PM
I think Nutsedge has been worse than ever this year for virtually everyone. I've had good success this summer with MSMA in my bermudagrass fighting back the crabgrass. But for every yard I maintain, I just carry a 2 gallon hand pump sprayer with Sedgehammer. I spot spray each group whenever I see it coming up and that's been great and not too pricy.

Think Green
08-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Drive
Drive XLR8
MSMA
MSMA+Image

Read the label for your specific turfgrass species as a post emergent application.

Premerge applications need to be made for controlling crabgrass
Barricade
Pendimethalin
Dimension

Most of the products are available to unlicensed applicator's ! Contact Lesco or any local supplier to find this out for your benefit.

Lbilawncare
08-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Q4 is a good product. For Nutsedge only -use sedgehammer (Formerly known as Manage)
If they are huge crabgrass clumps, I would dig them up because they will turn brown after you spray them.

Marcos
08-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Can anyone provide their recommendation on how best to control/eliminate Yellow Nutsedge and Crabgrass? I'm located in West Central Alabama and have had a particular problem this year with these weeds. Any advice you can provide is appreciated. Thanks.

The best defense against weed invasions of almost any kind:

BUILD THICK, HEALTHY TURF

....although yellow nutsedge sometimes bucks this general rule, and will sometimes push through even the lushest, thickest turf.

EVM
08-15-2009, 11:29 PM

....although yellow nutsedge sometimes bucks this general rule, and will sometimes push through even the lushest, thickest turf.

Nutsedge grows where ever it wants to, nothing you can do to stop it, if it is there already. If you need to spray nutsedge, use sedgehammer only. Do not use products labeled for suppression of nutsedge. You can clear a lawn of nutsedge in about 2-3 years of applications.

Marcos
08-16-2009, 08:51 AM

Nutsedge grows where ever it wants to, nothing you can do to stop it, if it is there already. If you need to spray nutsedge, use sedgehammer only. Do not use products labeled for suppression of nutsedge. You can clear a lawn of nutsedge in about 2-3 years of applications.

I have successfully defeated nutsedge in many, many lawns using Manage in an IPM fashion with surfactant & tracker dye, and growing the turf so thick & lush using stuff like protein meals and compost topdressings, that the nutsedge literally got choked out, eventually.

bruces10
08-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. This info will provide me direction on how to proceed. Again, thanks.

jbturf
08-16-2009, 06:38 PM
i would love to see some tests done with
with the 3 available products(msma, sulfentrazone, sedgehammer)
for control of nutsedge

i would like to see 3 test plots loaded with NS
treated with one of each product for maybe 2-3 applications
and see which plots have regrowth of NS after a week, month , year

i have doubts that any of these products can really completely kill the underground
growth

any 1 know of any university studies done or likewise?

lawnspecialties
08-16-2009, 06:48 PM
I don't know about any studies but Sedgehammer spot spraying has been great for me. I can spray it before or after mowing and the next week, it's yellow and dead.

Florida Gardener
08-16-2009, 10:40 PM
im not legally allowed to spray, but im having big problems with nutsedge and crabgrass this year. i cant stand these 2. nutsedge doesn't bother me as much as crabgrass though.

Volman
08-17-2009, 05:08 PM
I've had hit & miss with MSMA on sedge. Morethis year than i've ever seen. My best control is 2 apps 2weeks apart with 48oz/ acre MSMA & good surfactant. The only problem with this is that i don't like to to go back to re-treat just 1 or 2 yards.

RigglePLC
08-17-2009, 09:32 PM
I had good luck with Sedgehammer with silicone wetting agent last month--went back today--nutsedge was gone.

TJLANDS
08-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Tried using Momentum F/X this year as in a hadheld sprayer for Nutsedge.
Great results!... just have to make sure you spray both sides of the leaf, and use sticker.
Much cheaper than sedgehammer and yes it does kill it and quickly.

Jaspell
08-26-2009, 09:23 PM
What are you using as a surfactant with the Sedgehammer? That stuff is awfully pricey. I wat to make sure it sticks.

RigglePLC
08-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Hawkeye from Lesco is good--but--costs $49 for a half gallon. So use a ordinary spreader sticker(any non-ionic surfactant). Or for small batches, dish detergent.

Az Gardener
08-26-2009, 11:14 PM
I'm surprised 2 pages and no one has brought up reading the label.

If Sedgehammer is Manage you are very limited to how much you can apply in a years time, as I recall you are only supposed to apply once every 6 weeks. No more than 4 applications per year.

Az Gardener
08-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Pretty much as I remember no more than 4 apps per season. Here is a link http://www.gowanco.com/Reference/Document.aspx?rid=312

JDUtah
08-27-2009, 03:02 AM
Q4 is a good product. For Nutsedge only -use sedgehammer (Formerly known as Manage)
If they are huge crabgrass clumps, I would dig them up because they will turn brown after you spray them.

I just dropped some cash on a gallon of Q4 today. Wanted just the quinclorac (drive xlr8) but the JDL out here hasn't decided to carry it. I wasn't going for the broadleaf control but it is all i could find. Tests start tomorrow. Any tips or personal insight into the Q4? mostly bluegrass in alkaline soil for me...

lilmarvin4064
08-27-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm just now see some results from a Solitare application I did. This stuff is awesome! most of my crabgrass is 70% brown, and nutsedge 50% brown in 3 days. I mixed with a 1/2 rate of Momentum FX2. All I can say is, wow! I don't think I'll ever again use Q4, and might stop using Drive as well. Also, mixed with the momentum, I'm getting Nimblewill control!!

Try some Solitare...

jbturf
08-27-2009, 06:41 PM
never heard of solitare, just looked it up and did a comparison
Q4 oz of active per K at low label rate
quinclorac: .1479
sulfentrazon: .0179

Solitare oz of active per K at low label rate
quinclorac : .206
sulfentrazone: .0688

if my math is right
there is a substantial amount more active being used in solitare
and it says on the label it controls nutsedge, not suppresses it like Q4

how much for a gallon?

lilmarvin4064
08-27-2009, 09:08 PM
I got it at JDL for $112.50. They said this was an introductory price, plus I got a $15 mail-in rebate. It is a dry formulation like Drive, 1#.

Here's some pics 3 days after treatment...

http://img200.imageshack.us/i/gedc0008copy.jpg/

http://img165.imageshack.us/i/gedc0009copy.jpg/

http://img402.imageshack.us/i/gedc0012copy.jpg/

first 2, all crabgrass on the top of the ditch, probably kylinga in the bottom of the ditch, maybe some nutsedge.

3rd pic, large patch of crabgrass, went over it real fast; 3 days later

give me a few days and I'll post some pics of nimblewill control!

americanlawn
08-28-2009, 07:39 PM
A new product came out this year called "Dismiss" from FMC. It fries nutsedge fast.

Basagran, Manage, Sedgehammer, Q4 (at a high rate) will also kill it.

Here's what I've been using this summer:

Q4 (3 ounce per gallon rate), 1/2 rate of Dismiss, and a little LI700 for extra measure. This mixture fries crabgrass & kills nutsedge pretty quickly.

CPS (Crop Protection Services) -- formerly UAP, sells all the above.

bruces10
08-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the advise. Sounds like a game plan!

jbturf
08-29-2009, 11:12 AM
never heard of solitare, just looked it up and did a comparison
Q4 oz of active per K at low label rate
quinclorac: .1479
sulfentrazon: .0179

Solitare oz of active per K at low label rate
quinclorac : .206
sulfentrazone: .0688

if my math is right
there is a substantial amount more active being used in solitare
and it says on the label it controls nutsedge, not suppresses it like Q4

how much for a gallon?

wow that is really a high dose of sulfentrazone
i wonder how safe that is on desireable plants in hot sun?
ive seen Q4 alone burn down some nutsedge in a day in hot sun

borwicks
08-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Q4. I use it for annual grasses only.

gnoles
06-25-2010, 01:42 PM
A new product came out this year called "Dismiss" from FMC. It fries nutsedge fast.

Basagran, Manage, Sedgehammer, Q4 (at a high rate) will also kill it.

Here's what I've been using this summer:

Q4 (3 ounce per gallon rate), 1/2 rate of Dismiss, and a little LI700 for extra measure. This mixture fries crabgrass & kills nutsedge pretty quickly.

We're seeing mid to high 90's right now, if I sprayed early in the morning or late in the evening (probably better with the wind) would I need to add some lesco 12-0-0 chelated iron to prevent browning?

Thanks.

cgaengineer
06-25-2010, 03:02 PM
We're seeing mid to high 90's right now, if I sprayed early in the morning or late in the evening (probably better with the wind) would I need to add some lesco 12-0-0 chelated iron to prevent browning?

Thanks.

It wouldn't hurt. Did you decide what herbicide you were going to use?

gnoles
06-27-2010, 11:22 PM
I was interested in using AmericanLawn's mix... since it toasts the big two (sedge and crab), otherwise I'll just spot spray sedgehammer in the two areas that I have it.

Now if I could get the yard level and find a great deal on a reel, then I could start on the back yard.