PDA

View Full Version : Building a fire pit

Bleed Green
08-15-2009, 05:39 PM
I started working on a fire pit today in my backyard. This is the first time I have done one. I have put in small fish ponds, one in my yard and one for my neighbor, but this fire pit is a first for me. All I got done today before it rained was the hole dug and part of the footing around the outside rim of the hole dug in. I am trying to do this as simply and as cheaply as possible since it is just in my own backyard. Would you guys give me some input on the process and let me know if my plan of action sounds correct? I am trying to figure out the easiest and cheapest way to do this. Could I just build my fire brick up to about 5 courses above the ground level and then put some gravel in the bottom of the pit for drainage? Are there any other tricks that I might need to know, or anything that sounds flawed with my plan?

Thanks for the help

Bleed Green
08-15-2009, 05:59 PM
I know that I need to put some gravel in the bottom of the footing and tamp it as well. I hope to get to that point tomorrow. Its supposed to rain all week here.

Marcos
08-15-2009, 06:11 PM
I started working on a fire pit today in my backyard.

A fire pit?!?

What?!?

Don't you know that you're contributing unnecessary CO2
into the atmosphere, and building for yourself a larger...."carbon footprint"?!?
(lol!:rolleyes:)

Bleed Green
08-16-2009, 11:32 AM
I am just trying to do my part what can I say...

PSUturf
08-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Unless you are on sandy soil I would run a drain pipe under the fire pit. Use perforated pipe with pea gravel over and around the pipe. 10" x 20" area of pea gravel in the middle of the pit should be enough for drainage. Try to keep the pea gravel above the pipe about a foot away from the block so that your base material does not migrate into the pea gravel and cause settling.

Bleed Green
08-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the advice.

White Gardens
08-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Unless you are on sandy soil I would run a drain pipe under the fire pit. Use perforated pipe with pea gravel over and around the pipe. 10" x 20" area of pea gravel in the middle of the pit should be enough for drainage. Try to keep the pea gravel above the pipe about a foot away from the block so that your base material does not migrate into the pea gravel and cause settling.

Uh, wouldn't the pipe melt ??

PSUturf
08-22-2009, 06:42 PM
The pipe should have 8-10" or more of pea gravel on top of it.

White Gardens
08-22-2009, 07:08 PM
The pipe should have 8-10" or more of pea gravel on top of it.

O.K., that makes a little more sense.

Smitty58
08-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Why do you need drainage in a fire pit? I've done a lot of camping and those pits are very simple, usually just a big truck rim placed on the ground. You're going to have to shovel out the ashes so again why do you need drainage. I did one in my back yard with some left over pavers, worked fine and it was cheap.

PSUturf
09-24-2009, 02:02 PM
If your fire pit is not dug into the ground then you probably don't need drainage. Any fire pit that is below grade will need a place for water to go if you have a clay soil with poor drainage.