PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice (just starting)

Gregg1987
08-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Looking for some advice (just starting)

hope this is the right section for this if not i apologize.

Long Story short. I'm coming off of active duty in the military and would like to get into the lawn business. Its something i did as a kid before i left and actually i was one of those kids doing about 20-30 lawns a week after a full time job and school. I did it mostly because its what i enjoyed. obviously i would like to do a bit more now as I'm no longer a kid and i want to make this a full time job.

so there's a brief history.

I have tried to do a lot of research on my own and also have some (just a little though) knowledge from bigger companies who gave a kid a pushing a mower down the street some tips.

i stumbled across this site in my searching and well maybe you guys can (or will) give me a few pointers.

At this point i don't have a lot and plan to hopefully start something by next season.

i have to start:
- 33 inch TROY BILT mower
- STIHL TRIMMER / BRUSHCUTTER (commercial grade i forget the model)
- RYOBI Blower (i know hehe haha it stinks actually i think its dying from over use as it was only a cheap one)

considering i was a kid when i purchased all this i think i did well but, i will probably at least need a new blower. As far as the other gear goes it still works fine as it was commercial grade.

I also will need a trailer unfortunately as i plan to make this work full time and not just around my block.

I live in the NY, Long Island area and would be grateful to anyone who could offer a few tips perhaps on places i could look for gear, and pointers on how to get started and make this work.

I realize no one can probably get me a great deal on trailers but that seems to be the most costly part at the moment as i try to plan how much its going to cost to get this started. So if anyone has any tips it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and sorry for the long read.
(if additional info can help just ask please i'm not looking for someone to do this for me but if you can offer advice i thank you)

Ben's Landscape
08-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Welcome to the site!! You will find a lot of good pointers just reading through the posts. I am just like you hopeing to make it big in this biz. I just quite my full time job to give me some more time for Landscaping. I would suggest making your equipment last as long as you can and then go and buy good commercial grade machines like Redmax. Feel free to PM me and we can talk.

Gregg1987
08-16-2009, 02:04 AM
i have been looking at what i can so far :)

as far as my gear goes i take good care of it and i have faith that least the mower and trimmer will be fine for now. The blower unfortunately i think is going to bite it at some point.

Biggest problem at this point is honestly a trailer. Don't need or want anything huge but even looking at 4x8 and 5x8 open trailers I'm getting prices like $800 (give or take a little depending on the place i go to). I'm not a pro at this but it just seems over priced but i cant find anything cheaper to compare it to around here.

Gregg1987
08-16-2009, 02:13 AM
Edit: net screwed up double post sorry.

Ben's Landscape
08-16-2009, 07:42 AM
That price does seem high to me also. I am just saying that because in RI i can get a 6*12 for 1400 i think. I haven't seen the trailers in person but look at BIG TEX they look good going down the road LOL. I am looking at a 6*12 that way there i can grow into the trailer. If you go that small you need a bigger trailer if you want a 48 inch mower. Thats just the way i look at it.

I want to have a 32 and a 48 inch mower on the trailer for my ideal set up.

fishfacejr2
08-16-2009, 04:32 PM
all i got to say is check home depot, i got my 5.5 x 10 foot trailer for $450 on sale. best of luck :)

Gregg1987
08-17-2009, 05:20 PM
o.O Home Depot? Really? Interesting... thanks I'll look!

DLAWNS
08-20-2009, 12:26 AM
I know that we've already talked...but welcome anyway!

Gregg1987
08-20-2009, 12:38 AM
:) Thanks!

i have been contaminating the forums quickly ! :nono: lol

This seems to be a great place for info. :)

g21
08-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Gregg,
Thanks for your service to our country. The least I can do in return is to offer you a free membership in ALMA. Just email me and I will get you all the help you need to get your business up and running on a sound foundation.
Thanks again

Tommy

Gregg1987
08-21-2009, 12:23 PM
that isn't necessary but, a very kind offer and i thank you.

i have sent you an e-mail if you don't see it before you see this.

Thanks again.

Gregg1987
03-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Hey All !

Been awhile, but for those who remember me from last year I'm still around !

Anyway been way busy with Army and work, and trying to start my business and this is a WAY LATE update but i ended up getting a few leaf jobs and such at the end of last season! so here are some pics ! :)

DLAWNS
03-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Hey All !

Been awhile, but for those who remember me from last year I'm still around !

Anyway been way busy with Army and work, and trying to start my business and this is a WAY LATE update but i ended up getting a few leaf jobs and such at the end of last season! so here are some pics ! :)

Glad to see your doing well bro!