PDA

View Full Version : What is this? Green lines...

BrendonTW
08-15-2009, 11:37 PM
Any ideas? Dog wiping its ass? :nono:

See attached photo.

kirk1701
08-16-2009, 01:56 AM
a Lizard maybe an alligator laid there overnight, took a dump maybe :drinkup:

all pun aside, kind of resembles another thread we have going in this forum, probably still on PG 1 here in Pesticide & Herbicide Application. Results there are the same thing that looks like going on here, leaky wand where someone sprayed a liquid to green up the lawn.

see here
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=285169&highlight=snake

Jason Rose
08-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Looks like it could be Fairy Ring. Yes I've seen them appear as broken or partial circles like that. They are usually very old and move outward each year.

If you get a bit of rain have mushrooms appeared in that area?

Penscape Landscaping
08-17-2009, 11:03 PM
fairy ring!

BrendonTW
08-17-2009, 11:10 PM
It has rained quite often here. There were no mushrooms in that spot. However, there is a very thick lush green area in the back that has mushrooms. What causes this? What is a fairy ring?

Think Green
08-18-2009, 12:07 AM
Fairy Ring,
Is a particular fungal disease that is part of the decomposition process of materials in the soil. As this fungus decomposes the material in the soil, the nitrogen is reduces around the edges as it grows in a circle. Usually the mushrooms are present!! Sometimes, the disease goes on unnoticed and untreated.
These lush green areas are of the healthy turf, and as the fungus depleates the nitrogen from the grass, it will turn yellow and brown. Kind of like the process of denitrification.
I could have gone online to copy and paste a more detailed response, so here it is from the hip....!!!

Cloud9Landscapes
08-18-2009, 08:28 PM
The only long lasting cure for fairy ring is to dig up the decomposing material beneath the lawn BTW. You can try a fungicide, but it will be short lived.

Jason Rose
08-19-2009, 01:07 AM
Usually, if you fertilize the lawn it will hide the fairy ring. I've never heard of any real "treatment" for it, other than dig it up like cloud9 said. But it moves progressively each year, eventually, over years, it will move out of the area.