PDA

View Full Version : Fall Cleanup

dmkosko
08-16-2009, 12:40 AM
How do you guys price your fall cleanup job? Is it by square ft or the number of services the customer wants? Please help, thanks!

powernoje
08-16-2009, 01:56 AM
I usually price fall cleanup work by the hour...If you search for fall cleanup you will find a lot of information..

JNyz
08-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Formulas work great. man hours x hourly rate = rate

CLARK LAWN
08-16-2009, 11:04 AM
i do it by the hour, there a lot of people on here that will tell u they just give a set price but ill bet the house they've been burned a few times. you only have a short period of time to get them done if u spend a couple hours a day trying to give estimates u probably wont get everything done.

Lawnchitect
08-16-2009, 11:12 AM
I do it for free. This works great - I charge a premium monthly fee but it includes the spring cut-back and the fall clean-up. Beleive it or not, people love this. All I do is hire help for one week to come with me. It's a minimal cost but when your clients see a mini-yard clean-up in the middle of August, then in the middle of March - they're happy clients.

Smallaxe
08-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Our fall cleanup runs from the first accumulation of pine needles next month, run until the first permanent snow fall, starts up again at snow melt and continues until the last oak leaf finally drops in May.
Oak leaves especially cannot be left on the grass for more than 2 weeks b4 you have a dead spot. Charging by the hour is all we can do.

dmkosko
08-17-2009, 10:22 AM
what services do you offer for a fall and spring clean up?

bah1491
08-17-2009, 02:36 PM
When we do fall cleanups, it usually consists of all leaves removed from spouting, flowerbeds, and mulched up in the yard until they are no longer visible. I usually run a three man crew, one on the roof blowing the spouting out, another blowing the leaves out from the house and beds, and another man on a mower mulching leaves.

I usually charge $75.00 an hour.

dmkosko
08-17-2009, 02:44 PM
thanks for the help. this is going to be my first fall clean up so hopefully it goes smoothly.

bah1491
08-17-2009, 03:27 PM
If you arent collecting the leaves, make sure to run "gator blades" or mulching blades with the teeth on the back of them. They will do WONDERS to a lawn full of leaves.

Gregg1987
08-23-2009, 03:44 AM
When we do fall cleanups, it usually consists of all leaves removed from spouting, flowerbeds, and mulched up in the yard until they are no longer visible. I usually run a three man crew, one on the roof blowing the spouting out, another blowing the leaves out from the house and beds, and another man on a mower mulching leaves.

if you charge per hour do you state that and give the price after work (adding up the time it took?) or do you guess a number before hand (kinda having an idea how long it will take)?

that normally works well for you? (no angry people etc)?

JNyz
08-23-2009, 05:48 AM

Is that 70.00 per man hour or 25.00 per man hour?

dmkosko
08-23-2009, 12:24 PM
What do you put the gator blades on?

JNyz
08-23-2009, 02:50 PM
What do you put the gator blades on?

Your joking, right?

bah1491
08-23-2009, 11:09 PM
that would be 70 per hour, and its usually a 40.00 minumum. once you do a few lawns you will be able to guess how long it will take. Leaves can be very decieving sometimes, especially if they are WET.

Gator blades= LAWN MOWER BLADES lol:hammerhead:

bah1491
08-23-2009, 11:19 PM
oh sorry, 25 a man hour i guess....

Gregg1987
08-24-2009, 06:14 AM
you actually say you charge that much per hour though up front or do you use that as a base to guess off of? Just curious because i know that a lot of people say that they give their full price usually up front before the job is started.

Suppose i would have to see how long it actually takes me to pick up leaves. :)

just a thought also when you do leaves you take them away with you or leave them on customers property for pick up? Charge more to take them yourself? Or i guess bah1491 just mulches them.

off topic question, do anything different for your spring clean ups?

JNyz
08-24-2009, 06:52 AM
You should be at $60.00 per man hour. How can you make any money at 25?

bah1491
08-24-2009, 09:37 AM
I use it as a figure to give them an estimated price up front. If its a job that takes several hours, then its still 70 and hour regardless of what the estimate was. I just mulch and leave the leaves. If you do them well enough and spread them evenly, then you really cant tell they were there.

I really dont think i should be told what prices i can and cannot make money at. Especially if you dont know where im located, what scale of business i have, and what type of accounts i do. You cant go into a yard and tell them " oh my, well maam, it looks like its going to be $145 to cut youre one acre yard." atleast in my area of business you cant price that way.

Gregg1987
08-24-2009, 10:37 AM
gotcha, thanks bah1491 i appreciate you sharing the information. Gives me a better idea as i try to start this next season. =)

i always thought of bagging leaves i know in at least one of our towns here there are a lot of trees and leaves can pile up fast so i wonder if mulching would work there. Never quite thought of that.

Do people that normally say bag charge more to take the bags with them or is it usually the same regardless?

i have not started this yet so as far as prices go i do not know how things are i guess but, i have seen a lot of good information on it and i would have to say that prices for everyone will be different. Someone who has higher costs of operation is going to have higher rates over all vs someone with lower costs. Location and competition i would think also plays into it some as different areas may have more or less costs as well. I don't think there is a right or wrong its just different or what works for that company or person.

Just my take on that. Again i haven't started yet so maybe i just don't know. :)

Anyway i appreciate the advice from those who give it. Thanks!

bah1491
08-24-2009, 12:52 PM
no problem at all, and yes pricing is different everywhere.

Some customers may want the leaves collected, invest in a side catcher for one of your mowers. Its a pain in the ass to dump the thing, but charge more.

Gregg1987
08-24-2009, 01:55 PM
what would you normally add to the price for something like that? Again perhaps that may vary too (maybe depending on dump charges?). But just curious of an idea.

and if i can ask one more thing.

What would your Spring clean ups be like anything different then fall? Do you preform different services?

mr.weedkiller
08-24-2009, 08:08 PM
i wish i could ask for more then $40 a hour here. there are so many people here that work landscaping here that if one person quits 3 or 4 people start there own business here in WA.

dmkosko
08-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Do you think it's better to buy leaf blowers that also have the vacuum feature or just a blower to blow the leaves into a pile and clean them up?

bah1491
08-24-2009, 11:24 PM
If someone really is begging you to collect the leaves, which i HATE doing.....its kinda tricky really. I wouldnt even suggest doing a large lawn full of leaves unless you have a vac mounted on a zero turn. A side catcher is good for small areas and small amounts. you cant neccesarily charge them an outrageous amount because youre hauling them away, but also remember you are driving somewhere to dump THEIR leaves, on YOUR FUEL, on YOUR TIME, and YOUR DUMP site. I have a little over one hundred acres at home, so i have no problem dumping things and burning them. however, if you pay to dump, id suggest coming up with a set amount per catcher full, or somthing like that.

get a couple nice backpack blowers and a decent handheld. I just blow the leaves away from the home or beds and let the mower spread them evenley ontop of the lawn.

Fall cleanups should also include cutting down items that grow back in the spring, possibly some pruning, and definetly weedpulling. as far as spring cleanups go, weeding, bed edging, granular weed prevention or liquid. most importantly in the spring...MULCHING

Gregg1987
08-24-2009, 11:34 PM
makes sense, thanks a lot bah1491. Good information :)

Smallaxe
08-25-2009, 08:43 AM
Bagging with a mower works well for Maples, Pines, Elms and Cerries etc., but Oak leaves don't pack into the bags well enough to make it worth while. Run the blowers and blow them up into the back of the truck.
Overseeding is also a big part of the fall cleanup... we have already started here in Wisco...

RedSquareLandscaping
08-25-2009, 09:25 PM
by the hours

aference1
08-26-2009, 03:19 PM
if you charge per hour do you state that and give the price after work (adding up the time it took?) or do you guess a number before hand (kinda having an idea how long it will take)?

that normally works well for you? (no angry people etc)?

I charge 50 per man hour. I always give the customer a estimated price but i always give myself atleast a extra hour. Its hard to tell because i always give a fall cleanup price before fall. keep trac of time so next year you dont get screwed. I always come out on top.

dmkosko
08-26-2009, 06:31 PM
For fall cleanup, do you come every week, two weeks, or a custom schedule based on the client?

RedSquareLandscaping
08-26-2009, 08:03 PM
i woud come on a sertain date

dmkosko
08-26-2009, 08:08 PM
I mean, do you do the fall cleanup just once?

aference1
08-26-2009, 10:58 PM
I do each property twice. I go to each property once and then check the properties to see if all the leaves have fallen. If they have i do it one more time.

STIHL GUY
08-26-2009, 11:54 PM
i price them by the man hour

Gregg1987
08-27-2009, 05:39 AM
I do each property twice. I go to each property once and then check the properties to see if all the leaves have fallen. If they have i do it one more time.

so do you include that in your 1st fee? or do you charge twice?

aference1
08-27-2009, 10:33 AM

the customer gets charged both times. usually i mulch alot of the leaves during the weekly mowings. alot of the leaves will be down while i do the weekly mowing. but if the customer dosent want to pay for 2 cleanups then they have to wait till all leaves are down and then it will take longer and you will have to charge them more anyway. what i do is tell the customer that i will split their cleanup in half. first time i cut down all perinials and clean the yard up. second time i blow out beds and vac up the leaves. I have one customer that wants his leaves cleaned up once a week so i charge him 65 dollars more than the regular mowing. Gator blades work great for mulching leaves..

Ole' Hickory
08-30-2009, 12:43 AM
Alot of good info in this post.
Gonna be my first season for Fall Cleanups and I was curious to know when you begin with the advertising for your cleanup work? I was going to start placing several 24"X18" signs in my targeted communities soon (early-mid Sept.)
Has anyone had any success with those signs?

aference1
08-30-2009, 02:51 AM

i charge twice

richonsa
08-31-2009, 10:11 AM
I want to get the trac vac for my zero turn. Best price I found was 1600 plus tax. That, a backpack blower, and maybe a helper and the leaves could get picked up quick. As for pricing, I would imagine that you could estimate it on the spot and shoot a price. After doing 10-15 yards you could really fine tune it.

Greendog
09-02-2009, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE=bah1491;3146037]If you arent collecting the leaves, make sure to run "gator blades" or mulching blades with the teeth on the back of them. They will do WONDERS to a lawn full of leaves.[/QUOTE

What if the leaf need to be collected? Can we grind them on the lawn then cut with the vacum system?

3D'S GENERAL SERVICES
09-24-2009, 12:36 PM
We charge by the hour...for BR600 Back packs and Giant Vac 10 Hp Wheel Blowers. $75/hour/man.

You rake, we take is $200 minimum for the first hour or any part there of and $150/hr thereafter with 20 minutes added on for the dump run. Addtioanal time beyond the first hour is billed in 1/2 hour increments. But you must understand, we are not using some hokey leaf vac mounted on the front of a trailer with a 10' hose. This is rear mounted with a 20' hose and loads 8 yards in 40 minutes, reduced 12:1 so therefore it's really almost 100 yards of material. The other thing is that we are professional, trucks are identical, we are uniformed, and we are insured to the hilt. This is a professional operation therefore we charge accordingly.

Hope this helps and don't underestimate yourself. Tired of flat markets and people working for free.

melanieb3
09-24-2009, 01:31 PM
It's hard to get $60-$75 an hour here...there's no way.

It looks like around here it goes for anywhere between $40-$55. There are so many guys around this area doing lawn care, it's almost impossible to make a profit because if you do, then you're over priced and no one will use you. There is always someone here that is willing to do it cheaper. There are many guys just going around with no insurance and old beat up truck and doing a bad job but still getting the work because they're so cheap.

Groomer
09-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Westbrook,CT. is a long way from my world here in the rust belt, no way can I get $75 hr./per man. (I should and wish I could!) 40-45 tops.

2brothersyardcare
09-24-2009, 03:23 PM
i live in milford ct and 1 acre in westport with gutters min 500 thats wat im told

godjwood
09-30-2009, 12:06 PM

Isn't mulching the leaves a bad idea? I dont think ground up leaves into the soil is good for the soil/grass.

nnj18
09-30-2009, 12:33 PM
I flat rate it.
Posted via Mobile Device

bah1491
09-30-2009, 04:11 PM
ive always had the understanding that leaves can also provide nutrients.....im not saying i disagree with bagging, or collecting. i just choose NOT to collect. ive been muclhing leaves comercially for 6 years and i have never had trouble with a lawns growth from leaf mulching.

aference1
09-30-2009, 05:23 PM
ive always had the understanding that leaves can also provide nutrients.....im not saying i disagree with bagging, or collecting. i just choose NOT to collect. ive been muclhing leaves comercially for 6 years and i have never had trouble with a lawns growth from leaf mulching.

mulching leaves is great for the yard

rcpeoples
09-30-2009, 06:00 PM
When you buy topsoil you are basically buying mulched up leaves

bah1491
09-30-2009, 06:00 PM
thats also what ive heard

corey4671
10-15-2009, 06:47 PM
I mulch as much as I can. IF the leaf litter is too much to leave, I'll put the Accelerator on AFTER I have mulched the leaves as much as possible. I do a lot of large properites where I have room to spread it around. However, when I get into small tight areas sometimes you have no choice but to bag them. ON my regular customers, I know about how long it takes me to mow the grass. Anything over and above that time gets billed at $50/man/hour. One timers on cleanups get ESTIMATED at $60/man/hour.

GuyNextDoor
05-14-2010, 08:13 PM
I use a dump trailer with a leaf vacuum attached to the back and do complete haul aways. Everyone in the community loves it and has been a big hit.

Greendog
05-16-2010, 08:03 PM
How much did you invest on that set up? That's a really good idea!

GuyNextDoor
05-16-2010, 08:25 PM
The total investment was over 5000. But the trailer I use all of the time. I just take the vacuum off along with the built on enclosure. well worth it if you already have a dump trailer.

GuyNextDoor
05-16-2010, 08:28 PM
The vac was 1600. and a couple hundred to enclose the trailer.