PDA

View Full Version : Rust covered yard

bartman
08-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Within the last week had major rust show up.Short of fungicide any ideas?Going to cut and fert with 24-2-5 later this afternoon rain forecast for Tues.The weird thing is none of neighboring yards have it.

FdLLawnMan
08-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Fungicide is not needed and is expensive. Is it a newer lawn with a lot of perennial rye grass? Has it had any fertilizer in the last 6 weeks? The fertilizer will help the grass outgrow it.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Fd has it right. I would guess the lawn is a large % of rye. Am I right?
Go ahead and cut and fert - make sure that fert is a high quality fert 50% slow or more.

I can tell you that my best mowing account got bad rust a couple months ago, I have since ferted it twice with 1 lb N each, 50% slow. Although there is still some rust, it looks MUCH better now. This is also a good opportunity to sell your account on a fall overseed to get some better varieties of turfgrasses introduced.

bx24
08-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Sorry but in the Northeast red thred etc is bad this year..Fungicide is needed and helps and all the fert, lawn height etc will not do much..

Why in June it rained everyday and July not great either.

FdLLawnMan
08-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Sorry but in the Northeast red thred etc is bad this year..Fungicide is needed and helps and all the fert, lawn height etc will not do much..

Why in June it rained everyday and July not great either.

Well, rust is not a fungus that will rarely harm your lawn. It has to get extremely bad before I would even think about a fungicide application. IMO, applying fungicides to a home lawn is rarely if ever needed. I see red thread, some brown patch and rust every year. The grass will outgrow these problems with proper fertilization and once the temps cool down.

bartman
08-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the info not wanting to put down fungicide anyway will fert and wait.