PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own/use a North Star skid sprayer from Northern Tool?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Curious if anyone out there uses a North Star Skid from Northern Tool.
If so please chime in. Thx.

DA

FL-lawnjockey
08-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Been using their 200gal rig for about 1.5 years now.

Rob

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-16-2009, 04:11 PM
I havn't used it, but did hear the paint peeled off & frame wasn't all that sturdy... I know they used to use Comet pumps, instead of Hypro.

FL-lawnjockey
08-16-2009, 04:30 PM
I'll second that. Paint peels off easily & doesn't appear to be primed. The one I use uses a Comet pump.
I use it solely on a condo property (40 acre, 16 being turf) around 4-6 times a year. For our purposes it's fine. I got the trailer kit for it & tow it around with a tractor.
For harder use I would've gone/recommend a more "commercial" unit. Even if it's got a smaller 50-100gal tank.

Rob

GravelyGuy
08-16-2009, 10:23 PM
I have one (200 gallons) and everything works fine. I wish they had the hose reel positioned differently. I thought the paint issue was from road salt damage, but I guess I'm not the only one. I got salt on it and I didn't wash it off quickly. I will have to repaint this winter.

lawnlandscape
05-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Sorry to bring back this topic, but I was looking at purchasing this exact unit as a trailer for my liquid weed control aps.

Would anyone recommend something different? :confused:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
05-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Sorry to bring back this topic, but I was looking at purchasing this exact unit as a trailer for my liquid weed control aps.

Would anyone recommend something different? :confused:

I was the OP on this when I was still debating used ride on vs. skid. I chose a used ride on. I am SO glad I went that route, portability is much more huge than I thought it would be. With a ride on, drive er up on the trailer/carrier and away you go. With a skid, well, pain in the booty to move.

lawnlandscape
05-05-2010, 01:53 AM
I was the OP on this when I was still debating used ride on vs. skid. I chose a used ride on. I am SO glad I went that route, portability is much more huge than I thought it would be. With a ride on, drive er up on the trailer/carrier and away you go. With a skid, well, pain in the booty to move.

This is EXACTLY the thing I am fighting myself on right now also. Here are my thoughts:

1) A rider can get the larger lots easier because it is easier to go far away

2) More filling required, so there would seem to be more time getting ready, plus you would have to carry a fill-up tank with you anyway for the rider.

3) More upfront cost. Most of my properties are under 25k. So I am find walking them with a spreader.

After thinking about it for a very long time, a system like this just seems like it would be less time per stop then a rider system.

Thoughts?