PDA

View Full Version : Installing a hand railing in srw

Woodland
08-17-2009, 02:06 PM
I am in the process of designing a retaining wall/patio/step project for a customer. I don't have a lot of specifics yet as to the actual design or wall system to be used, but it may involve having to install a hand rail for the stairs primarily and possibly the perimeter of the patio along the walls top. What are some options for installing something. Are there specific types of railings you like to use and how is the best way to attach/install them??

greatinmulchbeds
08-17-2009, 03:11 PM
i usually use vinyl railings there very simple to install and life time free maintenance. just screw in the steel posts and slide the vinyl sleeve on, cut and screw in the railing and your finished

DVS Hardscaper
08-17-2009, 06:20 PM
if you do nice work then have an ornammental fabricator fabricate the rails.

Steps:

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com/images/services/patios/patios%201/Steps-Iron-HandRail-lg.jpg

Retaining Wall:

Ornamental, iron fence is anchored through the wall's caps

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/ScapeItWS6360CJ7/RetainingWall.jpg

mrusk
08-17-2009, 06:39 PM
I got some killer ones being fabbed up right now.

kootoomootoo
08-17-2009, 10:21 PM
I got some killer ones being fabbed up right now.

for a pool?

mrusk
08-17-2009, 10:29 PM
for a pool?

Koo your a ******. Not everyone wants a pool. Lets see some big jobs that koo landscape experts have been pumping out.

DVS Hardscaper
08-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Koo your a ******. Not everyone wants a pool. Lets see some big jobs that koo landscape experts have been pumping out.

Yeah Koo, you fool. With the unemployment rate of 12%, no one in NJ can afford a pool. So what they're doing is they're gettin the fence installed now for when they can have a pool.

kootoomootoo
08-18-2009, 12:16 AM

well nobody (except one) wants a lego block retaining wall with a 1000 ton of gravel where their pool should be....and a fence to boot.
i could be wrong.

Woodland
08-18-2009, 07:19 AM
Are there places to purchase pre-fab railings? How far down to you install the railing into the wall. Just through the cap stones and then use some sort of epoxy I would assume. Also, what are your thoughts on installing a railing system to the wall sides, ie. steps going down in front of (parallel to) a wall and installing the railing to the wall.