PDA

View Full Version : Building a lawn care business

mowedown
08-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Will try a be as brief as possible. I retired 01-01-09, from Rich.Va. Fire Dept. (40yrs.) to keep myself connected, I started a two man lawn care service. Spent around 11,000.00 for equipment, already had a large neighborhood common area. Put out fliers & advertised in a community paper twice. In short got all the business that the two of us could handle.
Enjoyed the excercise and have kept our clients happy w/what I think is professional service. I would like to expand next year, at least triple our client load. Questions: Will need at least 2 other workers, another Z, etc.
What have you found as the best way to (1) get qualified workers (2) contact businesses & when to put in bids (3) best bang for the buck on advertising (3) suggestions on insurance geared to our industry, I put a rider on my insurance, but think it is too expensive. I hope you will give me some advice. I went on Lawnsite.com when I first thought about the business and learned a great deal from you guys. I also had a landscaping business when I was a lot younger, so I'm not totally new to the business. Thanks in advance.

badgerfan
08-21-2009, 01:30 AM
use craigs list to hire employees. you will get more responses than you need. Sorting through the potential hires and interviewing is the key. You need to hire someone responsible and hard working... I know that this sounds obvious, but seriously try to weed out the average lazy american loser.

mowedown
08-21-2009, 08:14 AM
thanks, had not thought of craigslist. any suggestions on web hosting?

Toy2
08-21-2009, 10:28 PM
thanks, had not thought of craigslist. any suggestions on web hosting?If your out and about on a day off and see a LCO crew working, stop and talk to one of them, around here the Mexican labor is willing to jump ship for a dollar............and not bashing, but once you get a good one, do whatever you can to keep him/them...

miketull8
08-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Best thing....don't hire anyone. You will find it impossible to find someone who will work for you that will do as good of a job as you have been doing. KISS is the best answer (Keep It Simple Stupid!) Just purchase the right equipment to make your job faster.

tropical breeze
10-05-2009, 08:46 AM
I am just starting out also and this is what I go by K.I.S.S. keep, it, simple, stupid. I thaught about naming my business that. Less staff means less overhead and that means more money in your pocket.

J & D Greens
10-05-2009, 09:13 PM
I am wanting to go full-time with my business soon. I know you who want to go it solo have good reason's. But I think we will limit the possibilities to make it in this industry with a good enough income. Keeping it simple by doing all the work yourself really leaves you (me) very venerable to any unexpected event that may sideline you physically. Who then will save your rear end then? You have no one trained to do anything, don't know if you can trust some one you are hiring off the street to even show up let alone do all the work for you. If I have a crew of at least two men that are hard workers there is a chance that we could get through a surgery or just getting sick for a day or two. I know hiring workers comes with a whole lot of headache's, but they seem to be necessary just the same. I am very interested as well to the suggestions that come your way. Good luck all!!!

badgerfan
10-29-2009, 02:15 AM
Best thing....don't hire anyone. You will find it impossible to find someone who will work for you that will do as good of a job as you have been doing. KISS is the best answer (Keep It Simple Stupid!) Just purchase the right equipment to make your job faster.

I'm not trying to be rude but what is the reason for starting a landscaping business in the first place? MONEY!!! If you don't hire anyone, how do you intend on expanding your business beyond your own physical limitations. The whole objective is to expand rapidly so that you can go golfing, fishing, vacationing, etc. I don't know about you but why would you do it yourself if you can get the work and then pay somebody else to do it while your at the beach?

Stillwater
10-29-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm not trying to be rude but what is the reason for starting a landscaping business in the first place? MONEY!!! If you don't hire anyone, how do you intend on expanding your business beyond your own physical limitations. The whole objective is to expand rapidly so that you can go golfing, fishing, vacationing, etc. I don't know about you but why would you do it yourself if you can get the work and then pay somebody else to do it while your at the beach?

Marine
10-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Check out freewebs .com pretty simple to build your own website and it has worked for us. then you can advertise via craigslist and post a link to your website. Best part all free sans your time.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-30-2009, 06:09 PM

It appears my post was deleted.....hmmm..

Anyway,

The key to business is have people working for you so you can lounge around and do nothing and still be making money.

If this gets deleted, then I would have no idea what to say...

Stillwater
10-30-2009, 11:05 PM
It appears my post was deleted.....hmmm..

Anyway,

The key to business is have people working for you so you can lounge around and do nothing and still be making money.

If this gets deleted, then I would have no idea what to say...

We have been in business since 1978, some do think I got the key to business down pretty good, so why would you have to tell me this? Did I post something that made you think otherwise?

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-30-2009, 11:08 PM
You posted this.

LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerfan View Post

I am asking why you posted ".........." to his post.

Stillwater
10-30-2009, 11:37 PM
You posted this.

LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerfan View Post

I am asking why you posted ".........." to his post.

OH OK.... I understand sorry about that....
I posted a detailed comment on his line that said....."whole objective is to expand rapidly" (I could wright a book on the pit falls of rapid expansion)
After posting the comment I read it again and realized I sounded like a total prick, i try not to be like that, so to tired to rewrite the whole post I just deleted it.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
10-30-2009, 11:41 PM
Ah ic, yeah expanding rapidly is what you do not want. You just want to expand a bit each and every year and after about 10 years, then you're on the beach.

g21
11-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Fall is a great time for marketing for next season, especially in your area. But it's getting late. Take some nice business cards and get out there and knock on as many doors as possible. You should also be calling all of the property management firms in your area and try setting up appointments to go in and introduce yourself to the managers in the office. Don't get frustrated with rejections. We just got a 40K maintenance contract after the third year of cold-calling a property manager. Be persistent!

Let me know if I can be of help.

Good Luck!

Tommy

CCT HORTICULTURE
11-04-2009, 07:13 PM
ya, i bought some cards off vista print i have been knocking on doors and what not. I am stumped on what i should say to the people?

g21
11-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Just speak from the heart. Introduce yourself, tell them a little about the services you offer and that you would be more than happy to help with with any needs they might have. If they are not in need of anything right then, ask for a name or a business card and ask it they mind if you call on them next season. Most people will not mind. But now the important thing is that when you call them next year, it's not a "cold" call call anymore. Next time, you will be stopping in and asking if Mr. ?? is around. When he comes out, you shake hands and say, Mr. ??, Remember me, I'm Tommy, you asked that I stop in this season to see if you have anything I can help you with! If he doesn't, keep stopping in. You guys will start a relationship and eventually, you are going to get in ! Keep an organized file or computer record of all your cold-calls including names, address, when they asked you to stop back, etc. Trust me, it gets easier as you go along.

Good Luck.

Tommy