PDA

View Full Version : cost of tearing up lawn and reseeding?

ethany
08-17-2009, 07:26 PM
I lost my lawn to a lawn disease. Totally wiped it out. I need it replaced and reseeded, it's about 5000 sq feet. I was also thinking about a sprinkler system since it's going to be torn up anyway.

Would I get a break on price for the sprinker system since the lawn is more acessable as far as running the pipe?

Thanks for any advice.

bigslick7878
08-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Depends what you want to do prior to seeding as far as soil amendments and what not.5k square feet with seed is nothing relatively speaking. Honestly with that area I would sod it and save yourself a LOT of trouble.

Minimal savings with the irrigation,only money you are saving would be what is spent on re seeding or sodding the lines and any equipment damage to the lawn. But these days with the proper equipment that should be minimal so in the overall scheme of things not a lot of cash.

Smallaxe
08-18-2009, 07:33 AM
What was the lawn disease and what kind of ammendments should be added to the soil b4 doing the new lawn? What is to prevent the same thing from happening again?

ethany
08-18-2009, 04:31 PM
I am not sure about the lawn disease, someone told me they thought it was brown patch. Early spring my lawn was great, but then came the rain, everyday it rain (if you live in the northeast you would know). It started to look bad,it would lie flat instead of standing up.

Spoke to my local extension office, the master gardener said not to worry just overseed in the fall. I asked her about fungicides and she told me all the reasons not to use them and just wait it out. Well I listened to her and since lost my lawn to some disease.

I should have tried the fungicide back in may and matbe I would not be in this predictament (spelling?).

I realize I need to find out what the problem is because like you said it will show up again.

I am also thinking about having my lawn graded because the contractor 7 years ago did a horrible job, some areas where the water will not drain. Also I am sure it was crap soil. That's probably part of the problem,standing water and all that rain.

My question is would brown patch totally wipe out your lawn to where it can come up like carpet? I did not see any grubs.

Smallaxe
08-19-2009, 08:18 AM
It is better to treat the cause rather than the symptoms. I would work in the ammendments(till) now, level by hand and reseed. Loosen up the soil and keep it loose, no heavy machinery.
You want ammendments that increase absorbtion and drainage. A sandy compost would be my choice.

ethany
08-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Don't I have to find out what caused this first,so it will not just happen again next year? I don't know if it was insect or a fungal disease. How would I go about doing this? Are there companies that will come out and diagnose the problem?

I don't think just starting over is the right thing to do, or is it? Will it go away on its own if I start fresh?

bigslick7878
08-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Some pics would be nice.

We are trying to help you out blind here.

PSUturf
08-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Another disease possibility may be Pythium. It often occurs in water soaked turf. A plant diagnostic clinic at your state's land grant university might be able to culture out a sample of your dead grass. They usually need a sample from the leading edge of the disease as it is spreading (half green / half brown).

Sprinkler systems can be a good investment if you are going to follow all of the proper maintenance practices: proper mowing height, fertility, aerification, amending soil at time of planting if needed, watering the right amount at the right time, etc. I see too many people with sprinkler systems who water way too much, water in the evening, mow too low, don't aerify. Their lawns don't look very good. Be cautious with choosing an irrigation contractor. Many sprinkler systems are poorly designed and installed. They require you to overwater to compensate for low pressure and heads that are spaced too far apart.

nighthawk117
08-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Where are you located in the northeast?

LawnSolutionsCP
08-24-2009, 07:17 PM
You probably do not need a sprinkler system.

If you have a poorly graded lawn with standing water...that should be your problem.

You should never have standing water on your lawn. This will definely kill your lawn and do exaxctly what you described.

I was going to guess this when you said the grass would just lay over. Brown patch doesn't do this.

Fix you water drainage problem then power seed your lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device