PDA

View Full Version : Tree Removal Question

Lawn360
08-18-2009, 12:09 AM
A customer of mine has 6 leyland cyprus trees. Wants them removed(stumps and all) how much should i charge. They are around 6 years old. Yes i have remove trees before, but not since i started my own company, so i dont know how much to charge.

White Gardens
08-18-2009, 12:32 AM
How tall are the trees.

Are you hauling them away when you are finished???

What about stump grinder rental and travel.

We need more details.

Shooting from the hip I would go up or down at 100 a tree.

LouisianaLawnboy
08-18-2009, 01:11 AM
How long will it take x how much you charge an hour
Posted via Mobile Device

Ryall Landscaping
08-18-2009, 03:58 PM
How tall are the trees.

We need more details.

He's right. There are a lot of variables

I quoted 100/tree though for a client..Thought I was doing her a favor..It was quite a lot of work (6 pines - ~30 ft all right next to the house. 2 had to be taken off in pieces. all hauled away)...She was shocked at how much it was..Said she had a guy coming to build a retaining wall and he had equipment to do it very cheap..I'm like ok (thinking "what the heck is she talking about?").

Long story short..Months later they're still there :laugh:. She was just extremely cheap.

Lawn360
08-18-2009, 04:47 PM
How tall are the trees.

We need more details.

Yes, i have to haul them away after removal. The trees are around 20 ft. Customer does not want me to use a stump grinder, dont know why, but whatever. They are lining a fence and have about a 7 inch base. Does anyone know how extensive the root systems are for cyprus, they've been in the ground for approx. 6 years.

Lawn360
08-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Just turned in the estimate for 540. Too low or too high
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
08-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Make sure you take into account any other factors as hauling charges and dump fees.

So, I would say it's in the ballpark, but are you cutting the stumps to the ground or what ???

As long as they aren't over 3 inches or so at the base, they might come up easy with a Maddox pick, or, be an absolute nightmare.

Junior M
08-18-2009, 08:34 PM
So how are these trees going to be to fall? What about getting the debris out to the trailer? Thats something else to consider..

BrendonTW
08-22-2009, 10:29 AM
You guys are charging $100 per tree? You're probably leaving at least $700 on the table each time. I just cut down a tree and hauled it off (didn't chip the limbs, hauled them off whole) and charged $700 for cutting and $300 for hauling off. After I did it I realized I should have charged about $1500 total because this tree was a complete pain. Tree had about 15 trunks to it all wound together so it couldn't just be fell and then cut up. Had to cut most of the limbs off with a pole saw. The tree was about 20-25 feet tall and about the same diameter. Branches from ground to top. Also I didn't remove the stump.

Junior M
08-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Wow buddy, that 1500 is way overpriced imo..

and you coulda taken the initiative to cut the stump ground level so it wasnt such an eye sore..

KGR landscapeing
08-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Wow buddy, that 1500 is way overpriced imo..

and you coulda taken the initiative to cut the stump ground level so it wasnt such an eye sore..

Wait a min if i read that right he didnt notice the tree was all wrapd around till he started cutting? I mean didnt you look at the tree ahead of time? And with the stump i understand that you had to leave it so you could get the saw on the back side to fell the biggest pieces you could.

BrendonTW
08-22-2009, 07:19 PM
The bottom of the stump is 4-5 feet in diameter. He didn't want it cut all the way down for whatever reason. Maybe tree work is cheaper in other areas of the country, but around here, it was about a $1000 tree I suppose.

White Gardens
08-22-2009, 08:09 PM
The bottom of the stump is 4-5 feet in diameter. He didn't want it cut all the way down for whatever reason. Maybe tree work is cheaper in other areas of the country, but around here, it was about a $1000 tree I suppose.

Ya, if your a licensed and insured tree guy. If I was doing that as a scaper it would be much cheaper.

BrendonTW
08-22-2009, 08:37 PM
I am insured for tree work, but I am not licensed. I rarely do any big tree work. I consulted a few friends who do it professionally and full time and they both said $1250-$1500. I am not about to bid things cheap and throw the market for the services. I wouldn't want word to get out that I lowball things. If they wanted to check for a license for a single tree they could have found that I didn't have one and hired someone else to do it for the same price. Their choice.

My input was intended on helping the original poster and giving him an estimate on what a tree might go for.

White Gardens
08-22-2009, 08:41 PM
I am insured for tree work, but I am not licensed. I rarely do any big tree work. I consulted a few friends who do it professionally and full time and they both said $1250-$1500. I am not about to bid things cheap and throw the market for the services. I wouldn't want word to get out that I lowball things. If they wanted to check for a license for a single tree they could have found that I didn't have one and hired someone else to do it for the same price. Their choice.

My input was intended on helping the original poster and giving him an estimate on what a tree might go for.

True, good to try and keep the market value up. Not trying to bust your chops either, just seems expensive for the wide open location and really no obstacles.

But, if you can do it for that price, then go for it. Nothing wrong with making money with what you do.

Junior M
08-22-2009, 08:48 PM
True, good to try and keep the market value up. Not trying to bust your chops either, just seems expensive for the wide open location and really no obstacles.

But, if you can do it for that price, then go for it. Nothing wrong with making money with what you do.
Thats all I was saying, in fewer words though I guess... ;)

And why didnt you cut the stump down to ground level? We dont cut ground level right off the bat, we'll cut at your normal falling height then come back and cut it at ground level..

BrendonTW
08-22-2009, 10:47 PM
He didn't want it cut off at ground level. Not sure why.

White Gardens
08-22-2009, 11:40 PM
I'm guessing it's so that when the weeds grow, it will stick out so nobody runs over it with a tractor and mower.

Junior M
08-23-2009, 12:36 AM
I'm guessing it's so that when the weeds grow, it will stick out so nobody runs over it with a tractor and mower.
Yeah, I guess that makes since, its just so dam ugly..

BrendonTW
08-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Indeed it is. This lot is basically in the middle of downtown OKC as well. However, it's on the side of the highway where all of the hobos stay. The tree itself is next door to the Goodwill and across the street from the Salvation Army. Hobos had used the tree to sleep under. There was HUNDREDS of items such as trash, clothes, and old food/water containers under the tree. Also broken glass.

White Gardens
08-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Indeed it is. This lot is basically in the middle of downtown OKC as well. However, it's on the side of the highway where all of the hobos stay. The tree itself is next door to the Goodwill and across the street from the Salvation Army. Hobos had used the tree to sleep under. There was HUNDREDS of items such as trash, clothes, and old food/water containers under the tree. Also broken glass.

See, now it all make sense. Not only was it a weed tree to remove, it was a public health issue.

E.L.Co
08-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Just turned in the estimate for 540. Too low or too high
Posted via Mobile Device

i would say too low,your leaving way to much money on the table. i agree with brendon the going rate for SKILLED pruning(no un educated mutilators)and takedowns is quite high in san antonio. i sell tree jobs very often and people dont complain about a high price because of the risk involved and the fact that most people cant do it themselves. supply and demand comes into play here (i think lol not an economics man here)

boatdude
10-17-2009, 09:56 PM
BrendonTW ...the $1,000 you got was a gift (let alone the $1,500 you wish you would have got). A 2 person professional and properly equipped tree crew would have had that thing gone in 1 hour...about the time you were getting back from your first dump run. A tree pro drives away carrying chips not limbs. You did your customer no favors.
Later,
bd

Isobel
10-18-2009, 01:49 AM
Is that the Ford Center I see back there! looks like OKC =)

BrendonTW
10-18-2009, 03:25 PM
A friend who is an estimator for a million dollar local company told me 1200 dollars for that tree. Yeah I will definitely be getting a chipper next time!

Yes that is the Ford Center in lovely OKC!
Posted via Mobile Device

boatdude
10-18-2009, 04:10 PM
BrendonTW...sounds like great money if the market will stand it...a chipper should save you a ton of time.
Later,
bd

E.L.Co
10-19-2009, 09:51 AM
i dont ever use a chipper i run a chain along the bottom of my 14 ft landscape trailer and cut the limbs up to compact them throw the logs on last and do a pull off at the brush site. chippers are pricy and not really cost effective in relation to my needs.

GrazerZ
10-24-2009, 01:47 PM
don't you have a place to rent a chipper? When we do jobs like this, we line up a few and let it ripe. I don't know what the dia of a 20' cypress is, but if it requires you digging out the stump with anything more than a chain hooked to a truck and a shovel, $100 per tree is too low.

TreeClimber57
10-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Yes, i have to haul them away after removal. The trees are around 20 ft. Customer does not want me to use a stump grinder, dont know why, but whatever. They are lining a fence and have about a 7 inch base. Does anyone know how extensive the root systems are for cyprus, they've been in the ground for approx. 6 years.

20 foot trees are not that bad, but the others spoke well, there are a lot of variables. How close to fence are they? (Half of my business is tree care - and about a third of the employees are fully working in tree work) We have two grinders and three chippers in the lot - working most days. Not sure how you are going to get them out without a grinder, that is the norm for any tree removal work that I have seen or done. Certainally a lot cleaner and faster than trying to dig the roots out with a machine or by hand.

If they are only 20 feed and 7 inches at base.. they will not be too dangerous to fall, assuming you can drop them safely with no buildings around. If anything is close you should still rope them for safety.

Do any of them have any significant lean?

How much wood is there in the limbs and branches? How are you going to dispose of that part of the tree, this is what takes up trailer space and you would be surprised how many loads this may be if not chipped. Where are you dumping, and is there a cost involved in the dumping of the wood.

Try to talk her into grinder - a lot less work and easier to clean up, once done clean up chips left by grinder and fill in hole with soil and seed over.

If I could get chipper within a couple of hundred feet of trees, and if there are not any serious issues in dropping, and if I could grind.. then maybe two hours work for two guys -- based upon what I read in thread. Would take maybe one hour to knock down trees and chip - get all loaded into trailer, etc. Then the remainder to get grinder in place, grind, then fill in holes and load back up. (grinding something this small takes about as long to set up as the actual grind)

Having said that, I am not towing a $25,000 chipper and a $20,000 grinder with two trucks and one trailer out to do work for $100.. !! Haven't seen the job so tough to say, but may come in at around $600 or $700 minimum - depending on access, etc -- could be over $1000 as well.. depends on a lot and would have to see it.

TreeClimber57
10-24-2009, 03:53 PM
You guys are charging $100 per tree? You're probably leaving at least $700 on the table each time. I just cut down a tree and hauled it off (didn't chip the limbs, hauled them off whole) and charged $700 for cutting and $300 for hauling off. After I did it I realized I should have charged about $1500 total because this tree was a complete pain. Tree had about 15 trunks to it all wound together so it couldn't just be fell and then cut up. Had to cut most of the limbs off with a pole saw. The tree was about 20-25 feet tall and about the same diameter. Branches from ground to top. Also I didn't remove the stump.

That is where you need to see the situation. Some apparent small trees can be a real pain, and they are priced accordingly. Some trees that may appear larger may be easy to take down, depends on tree species, where it is growing, if there are fences attached and/or ingrown, what the ground is like (stones can kill your grinder), time of year (leaves on are more work than off), dead tree vs live (live may have leaves but dead may have other danger issues), power lines nearby, buildings, pools, etc nearby.. all need to be considered. I just had crew take down 5 pines in the past week, and they were all over $2000 per tree, one was closer to $4000 .. it just depends..