PDA

View Full Version : leaves and backpack blowers

Woodland
08-18-2009, 08:30 AM
I have another annoying question about what brand to buy... I'm looking at a backpack blower (my first) to aid in fall cleanups this year. I have a hand held blower/vac but it isn't sufficient for fall cleanups really. I can only imagine that bigger is better in this case! My two options are Echo and Husqvarna. Most of my other hand held equipment - blower/vac, trimmers, edgers, etc - are Echo so there is a strong motivator to stick with them. There is a good dealer here and they have treated me well and I've had no problems with the products. However, there is a Husqvarna dealer in town as well who services a lot of my non Echo or John Deere equipment and also treats me very well. I would like to possibly give him some business if I can. The only other piece of Husqvarna equipment I own is a smaller chainsaw which performs sufficiently. For those of you who have used both brands (and are not a brand snob!) which do you prefer. My only complaint with the Echo products is they take a while to warm up (had to put the blower in the cab of the truck a few mornings last fall to get it started). And while we are here. Are there specific models you might recommend from the two brands. I see that Echo has the PB-755 model with 63.3cc engine for just under $500. Do I really need one this big?

Smallaxe
08-18-2009, 08:46 AM
The echo blowers are what I am most familiar with. One is a smaller model and other is larger model. The larger model is more difficult to clean along edges of things because it moves so much air in all directions. The smaller one, gives more control over the direction of the air flow, yet is still sufficient in power.

terrapro
08-18-2009, 10:06 AM
When considering blowers you can never have enough but you can have to little.

Get a the biggest one you can afford. It saves on gas because it saves on time. When you need one you really need one like with wet heavy leaves.

lawns Etc
08-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Go with the Husky 180 its a rebranded Redmax 8001 which is the most powerful blower that you will find. Try the Echo 755 and the Husky on your back and se which is most comfortable than choose.

Woodland
08-19-2009, 08:40 AM
I checked out the specs on the Husky 180 and it seems like the echo is about 5 pounds lighter - maybe not a huge deal - and has a significantly higher airflow at the blower housing, however, very similar at the pipe end. Should these differences concern me??

Smallaxe
08-19-2009, 09:47 AM
It was told to me when I bought my Echo , that the volume of moving air is greater and will stay greater for a longer period of time throughout the life of the machine.
Yes, it does matter. more air to begin with , means more volume at the exit, means more pressure in more air.

Isobel
08-19-2009, 10:46 AM
when looking find the blower that's going to give you the largest cfm (cubic feet per minute) of air movement.

I personally am a RedMax girl, but Husqy is a close second.

Stillwater
08-19-2009, 11:54 AM
[QUOTE=Isobel;3148901]when looking find the blower that's going to give you the largest cfm (cubic feet per minute) of air movement. QUOTE]

This requires repeating.....

Woodland
08-19-2009, 04:45 PM
when looking find the blower that's going to give you the largest cfm (cubic feet per minute) of air movement.

This requires repeating.....

Thus the confusion....the Echo puts out 1240 cfm at the housing and 620 cfm at the pipe whereas the Husky does 685 and 914 respectively. At first glance it would seem the Husky would be better since the actual air movement at the end of the pipe is higher, but why? Can one assume that it is a more efficient design that allows less resistance through the pipe? and how long will that last??

93Chevy
08-19-2009, 05:32 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=268337

Check that out, it may answer some questions...

Mowbizz
08-19-2009, 09:29 PM
I personally am a RedMax girl, but Husqy is a close second.[/QUOTE]

Darn...! Something awfully, sexy about that statement...:drinkup::drinkup:

(I am a RedMax man myself...EBZ8001)

Woodland
08-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks for that link. That chart was helpful. By looking at those number, it would seem the Husky ("Redmax rebranded") is a better machine (as well as 5 pounds heavier) on paper. As I said in my original post, I run several Echo machines - 2 PAS units and a blower/vac - and have not had any quality issues (aside from having to replace the plastic triggers several time - who thought that was a good idea??) and I have a Husqvarna chainsaw that literally sits on a trailer getting kicked around, rained on, and forgotten about in the winter and still starts and runs great. In your experiences, are these normal expectations for these brands? Is Husqvarna, as a re-branded Redmax still good quality. I don't plan to use this blower extensively, so it will likely be the only one I purchase for many years and I want to make sure it will last.

Isobel
08-20-2009, 10:14 AM
I personally am a RedMax girl, but Husqy is a close second.

Darn...! Something awfully, sexy about that statement...:drinkup::drinkup:

(I am a RedMax man myself...EBZ8001)

yep. EBZ8001 here too. :walking:

hackitdown
08-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Go for power, the weight won't matter to you. You will soon find that you never use any other blower than the backpack, since it is so much more productive. You will start doing more fall and spring cleanups, too.

Ben's Landscape
08-22-2009, 08:40 PM
I personally like the 8001. I tried the stihl,echo and redmax. I felt the redmax would take the most abuse and a lot of landscapers run them. The numbers are so close go with the one that feels the best to you when it is on.

Ask your local dealer to test/trial the blower on there property. Mine let me do that for the echo redmax and stihl. Good luck

RedSquareLandscaping
08-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Redmax is the best

lawnpro724
08-24-2009, 12:22 AM
Echo's PB755 blower have handled our cleanups for the past several years and couldn't be happier. They have plenty of power for everything we do. For cleanups buy the biggest and most reliable blower you can get and for us its been Echo. Remember reliable power is better than all out power.

RedSquareLandscaping
08-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Redmax or Kawasaki