PDA

View Full Version : Ortho® MAX Poison Ivy and Tough Brush Killer Concentrate Question

Akita
08-18-2009, 10:37 AM
I recently purchased the 1 qt concentrate of this in hopes to rid of some poison ivy. My question is regarding application and mixing of this. The ready-to-use version of this only has 0.7% Triclopyr which from what I understand is rather weak and despite repeat applications may not get rid of poison ivy. The concentrate is 8% Triclopyr. The concentrate calls for 4oz of concentrate to 1 gallon of water. If I were to mix this according to the directions, wont this dilute it right back to the 0.7% of Triclopyr or come close? Could I just mix this either @ half of what the directions say or not mix it at all? I apologize for such a bonehead question but I wanted to make sure. If anybody has used this product or can recommend anything better please let me know. Thanks

I will applying this by this tree(the name of this tree slips my memory right now). Newer sod about 3 ft in one direction while old lawn and hedges in the other direction if that helps.
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/oldeschool17/House/DSCN1294.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/oldeschool17/House/DSCN1295.jpg

MarcSmith
08-18-2009, 11:39 AM
glyphosate aka roundup...2% solution...

Akita
08-18-2009, 11:56 AM
glyphosate aka roundup...2% solution...

Doesn't Glyphosate kill Grass?

MarcSmith
08-18-2009, 12:16 PM
only if you spray it on it... o be honest. my concern would be for getting rid of the PI first. worrying about killing grass second...

with fall comming up, you could spray now and then do a fall overseed. to fill in any patches or buy a few peices of sod/plugs depending on the type of grass.

LushGreenLawn
08-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Ortho MAX Poison Ivy and Tough Brush Killer Concentrate also kills lawn grasses. Read the label.

Don't mix above the labeled rate, its an environmental hazard, not to mention a felony.

Think Green
08-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Akita,
The beautiful thing about Glyphosate is its original design and its intended use.
The product was intended to be a growth regulating herbicide, instead it was sold as a widely used non-selective herbicide. At lower concentrations, the product chemically translocates and controls the plant from within. Burn and or growth reduction is achieved. At higher label rates, total and complete control is achieved. The label on the professional use product has a vast chart for mixing round-up at different percentages for a desired rate of kill. Now, i am not telling the world to go out and apply gly to anything and everything, all i am saying is that yes--round up will kill everything it comes into contact with. It all depends on what percentage of the product that is mixed with water and surfactant.
I control unwanted Bermuda grass excessive growth with glyphosate at my secret percentage. The grass will be stunted and will regain growth after the product wears out.

From the looks of the photograph's above, I wouldn't hesitate to spray that three leaved vector. The tree in the background can be sprayed around without hurting the foliage. Round-up has no soil activity----meaning it will only control green vegetation. It can hurt young saplings and damaged roots through the xylem if it comes into contact.
Just take care of not spraying it on damaged spots of live sapwood. I am referring to places like linetrimmer damage.
If you are using glyphosate.........why not mix the two together and be done with it.

RigglePLC
08-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Triclopyr is Ok to use on grass (maybe not bermuda, though).
The EPA establishes a maximum rate per acre for triclopyr, and all other chemicals--so the final dilution is probably going to be the same. The ready-to-use is fine; it should work--no problem. The government won't say anything if you pull the trigger twice. Early June would have been the best time to spray poison ivy. Don't go nuts with this Ortho stuff, you could kill your tree. Repeat the spray in 7 days if you need to. Poison ivy has lots of underground roots and runners. Be ready to spray again next spring.

Akita
08-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks guys for your input. If you were in my position, would you keep the concentrate or take it back to the store and get the Roundup glyphosphate 2%? I do have bermuda if that helps. The photos that I posted above show the main area where I need to spray but I did see some random spots that I will also need to spray(spot treatment not a big area at all) that are either within the lawn or very close to the lawn. We're talking maybe 2 spots(appearing to be 1 vine or so each).

4.3mudder
08-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Doesn't look like you have hardly any poison ivy at all and that is a good thing, I hate that crap. I get it very easily.

LushGreenLawn
08-19-2009, 04:59 AM
Thanks guys for your input. If you were in my position, would you keep the concentrate or take it back to the store and get the Roundup glyphosphate 2%? I do have bermuda if that helps. The photos that I posted above show the main area where I need to spray but I did see some random spots that I will also need to spray(spot treatment not a big area at all) that are either within the lawn or very close to the lawn. We're talking maybe 2 spots(appearing to be 1 vine or so each).

I would take it back and get the round up, keep in mind, you are not buying 2% round up, but mixing the concentrate at 2%. I think it works out to about 2oz per gallon, but check the label, it will tell you the exact amount to mix. Do not use more round up than specified, besides the downsides I mentioned earlier, on some plants it can be harder for them to translocate the AI if the mix is too strong.

MarcSmith
08-19-2009, 06:35 AM
the key is when you buy the roundup check the lablel if you are buying concentrate the % glyphosate will be around 40% if it less than that, then you would need to adjust your spray rate accordingly.

actually a 2% roundup solution is not 2 oz per gallon its actually 2.56 oz per gallon. if you wer mixing a 100gallon tank to get a 1% solution you'd use 1 gallon of chemical. which is 128 oz. so 1 gallon mix for 1% is 1.28 oz.

Think Green
08-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Thanks guys,
You all are helpful in explaining the procedure.
I run into people all the time at lowe's--home depot--tsc--k-mart-wallymart, spending hundreds of dollars on RTU products. They are there again; frustrated that it didn't work and hurting their brains looking for something else to do the job that the original product should have done.
The EPA's standard on homeowner use products is basic. As long as the lowest amount of chemical premixed into a gallon of water is sold on the consumer level, no usual harm and economic damage is sustained.
The label fails to inform the general public of adjuvants....................I don't mind telling the whole world that weeds like poison ivy--oak--clover--oxalis--crabgrass--dallisgrass--goosegrass, all have a hard waxy coating on the leaf surface. During periods of heat and drought-(if it applies this year LOL!) The cuticles of the plant leaf surface will restrict to allow for water consumption. As the chemical is applied...................without a surfactant..........the water will just roll off the surface and kill whatever is below the plant.................usually the grass.
I give each person I come into contact with a business card------tell them what is missing in their water solution, and to call me........!!! Adjuvants aren't usually sold at these giant store's...?
When it comes to insecticides, I don't tell them much information other than giving them a card.

suzook
08-19-2009, 09:57 AM
bring it back, and buy the standard roundup concentrate. Much cheaper than the "poison ivy" roundup. I agree with thinkgreen. use a little mso, to help it stick to the plant.