PDA

View Full Version : How to remove mud from grass

brj8826
08-18-2009, 02:03 PM
We just had a driveway built behind our garage and the concrete company dumped all of the excavated dirt onto our St. Augustine lawn during the process. It only sat on the lawn for a few hours before they removed it, but the grass where it sat now has a layer of compacted dirt in it. The blades are visible, but i'd estimate there is about an inch of compacted dirt. Can I just flood that portion of the yard to remove it? Is there a better way? Fortunately my yard slopes downhill there, so it helps the runoff, but I don't want to damage the grass. To make the situation a bit worse, we laid about 3 pallets of new sod in the same sprinkler zone which results in that existing grass being a mud hole.

Thanks in advance.

Cloud9Landscapes
08-18-2009, 08:25 PM
I would try to blast it out with a high pressure stream of water. Let it dry, and go over it with the mower a couple times. Then blast again.

brj8826
08-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks. I have a pressure washer at work, but I was thinking it would damage the roots. Will having that layer of dirt cause long term damage, or will it eventually wash away if I don't do anything.

How high of pressure are you thinking?

bigslick7878
08-18-2009, 08:50 PM
A rake might help.

I doubt the "blast it off with water" idea is going to do anything except make even more of a mess.

brj8826
08-18-2009, 09:16 PM
A rake might help.

I doubt the "blast it off with water" idea is going to do anything except make even more of a mess.

That's where the new sod causes an issue. That area is always moist from the watering of the new sod and raking mud is futile. I think I'll just wait for another couple of weeks until I'm not watering so much and try to break it apart with a rake. The sod farm did say that flooding was the best method, but I'm not seeing much progress. Maybe I'm just not being patient enough. I seem to get some results when I set the hose further up the yard and let it run down while I'm on the ground "massaging" the mud out of the grass.

Toy2
08-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Hose with a good trigger sprayer, and a rake will work perfect.....

Cloud9Landscapes
08-19-2009, 10:14 PM
I was thinking about 60 psi would be fine, St. Augistine is one of the hardiest grasses out there, and as long as it is established, I see no problem with washing it out with water.

brj8826
08-19-2009, 10:39 PM
Well, I brought home the pressure washer today and had quite an adventure. The trouble spot is in the back corner of my yard and I ended up with a tornado of mud going all over the place, mostly on myself and my fence. After about 20 minutes I'm not sure if it's not worse off than it was. I'm going to have to wait until my new sod is established and I can let the area dry out a bit before I attack this problem. I'll try both the raking and power washing again.