PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing New Aerator

jfoxtrot9
08-18-2009, 06:45 PM
I am sooo close to purchasing a Lawn Solutions aerator. I am a little reluctant, I must admit, which is why I am creating this post. I am seeking advice from any of you that can give it. Particularly those who own a LS machine or know much about it.

It certainly seems to be a versatile and much easier machine to use vs. traditional aerators. I have been in business for 12 years now and have always just rented a machine 3 or 4 days a year, dreaded the day, and just got my butt kicked all day. (great money, but worked hard for it!) I know most of you know exactly what I mean. :hammerhead: I so don’t look forward to aerating this year!!:cry:

Seeing the video for the LS machine has almost single handedly sold it for me. BUT, looking closer at this machine, I am a bit skeptical, if it is really a commercial machine. It seems the engine and tranny are consumer grade. (and the warranty offered to prove it as well, 1 year, compared to the other aerators. Ryan and Turfco, 2 years commercial waranty) It is powered by a Briggs “Pro”. Every other commercial aerator is powered by Honda. If your going to pick Briggs, I am thinking at least go Vanguard, eh? This all makes me wonder if the +$3000. price tag may be a little steep.

On the other hand, those “other aerators”, well, I‘ve already talked about the needing of spine re-alignment and shoulder replacement surgery after a day of using one of those. ..

If any of you have a LS machine or otherwise have any knowledge or pointers, I would surely appreciate it. Good or bad either way. It is a lot of cash to shell out in my book. I just want to be more confident when I make my decision, whatever it may be.

Thanks!

Jeff

LawnSolutionsCP
08-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Go ahead and get one...they are built like no other aertor. And anyone who has one will agree. If it isn't hands down the best aerator you have ever used, I'll buy it back. If it isn't hands down the best built aerator you have ever used, I'll buy it back.....

It sounds like you have been talking with one specific OEM because you are saying the same thing I have heard them say over and over. I have even had customers who purchased our aerator forward emails directly from them saying the same thing.

Why would they say the engine and transmission is consumer grade.....despiration!!! We have most likely sold more aerators our 1st year making aerators than any other OEM. Of course people are going to say anything they can to slow us down.

As you can tell, we have refrained from doing any direct compairisons to any specific product. We simply show how our products perform and let you descide.

About your concerns:

The transmission is made by Hydro-Gear who makes the majority of the hydrauilc drive systems for the commmercial mowers in the industry. The same transmission as used in the T-3000. We have been using them for 3 years, built over 1,800 units, supply them to all the top national lawn care companies, and amazingly ZERO failures or issues.

The Briggs Eng is used because we use a vertical shaft engine on our aerators otherwise we would use the Subaru Eng like on our seeders. When I designed the aerator we tested the Kawasaki, Honda, & Briggs Engines. The Kawasaki has EPA issues and was not available, the Honda 190cc engine is having vibration and fuel tank chaffing issues (enough said). We looked at the Honda GXV160 which only puts out 3,000 rpms, add $250 cost to the aerator, delivers 20% less power than the Briggs Pro, and itsn't as quiet or smooth. If you want a Honda, I have some sitting at our shop because when people run them side by side they pick the new Briggs Pro Eng.

The Briggs Pro is a brand new design starting Jan 2009. Lets just say, all of our customers who have purchased them have been very, very impressed.

When I set out to design a better aerator, we put everything I could think of into the aerator.... And I know a little about designing equipment. My back ground; degree in Mechanical Engineer from West Point (United States Military Academy) and then 7 year doing new product design and advanced development work for GE (General Electric). I have also led design groups to develope a solar power vehicle capable of running 65 mph on an 8hp electric motor that ran 1,200 miles from Indianapolis to Denver only on solar power.

Do you mind letting everyone know who put these "doubts" in your head?

David

LawnSolutionsCP
08-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Another reason for the engine selection is we can do hills up, down, or across up to 30-40 degrees without stalling the engine like on all other aerators. Kind of a nice idea.

Sorry for the rant, but I can't stand slander especially when we supply the majority of the turf industry with their seeders and aerators to include endorsement from the national top golf courses who use our products.

For example, the PGA's Valhalla Golf Club who held the Ryder Cub in 2008 uses our aerators and seeders and endorses them as the best they have ever used. They use our products specifically around the steep greens where they can't get any other machine to perform on slopes exceeding 35 degrees.

turfcobob
08-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Go ahead and get one...they are built like no other aertor. And anyone who has one will agree. If it isn't hands down the best aerator you have ever used, I'll buy it back. If it isn't hands down the best built aerator you have ever used, I'll buy it back.....

It sounds like you have been talking with one specific OEM because you are saying the same thing I have heard them say over and over. I have even had customers who purchased our aerator forward emails directly from them saying the same thing.

Why would they say the engine and transmission is consumer grade.....despiration!!! We have most likely sold more aerators our 1st year making aerators than any other OEM. Of course people are going to say anything they can to slow us down.

As you can tell, we have refrained from doing any direct compairisons to any specific product. We simply show how our products perform and let you descide.

About your concerns:

The transmission is made by Hydro-Gear who makes the majority of the hydrauilc drive systems for the commmercial mowers in the industry. The same transmission as used in the T-3000. We have been using them for 3 years, built over 1,800 units, supply them to all the top national lawn care companies, and amazingly ZERO failures or issues.

The Briggs Eng is used because we use a vertical shaft engine on our aerators otherwise we would use the Subaru Eng like on our seeders. When I designed the aerator we tested the Kawasaki, Honda, & Briggs Engines. The Kawasaki has EPA issues and was not available, the Honda 190cc engine is having vibration and fuel tank chaffing issues (enough said). We looked at the Honda GXV160 which only puts out 3,000 rpms, add $250 cost to the aerator, delivers 20% less power than the Briggs Pro, and itsn't as quiet or smooth. If you want a Honda, I have some sitting at our shop because when people run them side by side they pick the new Briggs Pro Eng.

The Briggs Pro is a brand new design starting Jan 2009. Lets just say, all of our customers who have purchased them have been very, very impressed.

When I set out to design a better aerator, we put everything I could think of into the aerator.... And I know a little about designing equipment. My back ground; degree in Mechanical Engineer from West Point (United States Military Academy) and then 7 year doing new product design and advanced development work for GE (General Electric). I have also led design groups to develope a solar power vehicle capable of running 65 mph on an 8hp electric motor that ran 1,200 miles from Indianapolis to Denver only on solar power.

Do you mind letting everyone know who put these "doubts" in your head?

David

Maybe the same transmission Mfg. but not the same transaxle as the T3000

LawnSolutionsCP
08-18-2009, 11:09 PM
I thought they both use the "LT" series transaxle form Hydro-Gear. Different part numbers but same basic transmission. Same internal parts. Might want to double check.

The unit is also rated for 1,500 hours an a machine that weights 620 lbs on the axle with 18 tires.

On a ride on spreader that is used daily, that would be about 1 year. Of course this in conservative.

On a seeder or aerator, that only weights 200-300 lbs, uses 11" tires, and then only used 3 months out of the year. The rated life would be about 8-10 years. Actually, it was not able to be estimated because the transmission is designed for a much larger product than a seeder or aerator.

Az Gardener
08-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Do you have a dealer here in Phx?

LawnSolutionsCP
08-19-2009, 12:24 AM
No dealer, but we have shipped multiple units (seeders and aerators) there in the last few weeks.

If you want, I can contact one of them on your behalf and see if they will let you take a look at one or the other. One like his aerator so much he call to let me know and said to go ahead and send him a seeder as well. I'm sure he would be glad to show them off. Of course, I need to contact him first to get permission to give you his information.

Let me know if your intersted.

David

jfoxtrot9
08-19-2009, 04:31 PM

If this confident, (and I do appreciate the confidence), why only the 1 year warranty vs. the other commercial units?

I want this machine! I am only being cautious with my hard earned money.

No one has slandered LS to me. As a matter of fact I have spoke to no other companies. Just doing a little homework. Like I stated, this is alot of cash to put out for a machine I use only a few months a year.

Anyone else have any comments. I really expected to hear more.

The silence... It's frightening.

mdlwn1
08-19-2009, 05:26 PM
NOTHING works like a Ryan lawnair 28......even Lawn solutions know this...LOL at this whole thread.

jfoxtrot9
08-19-2009, 05:41 PM
NOTHING works like a Ryan lawnair 28......even Lawn solutions know this...LOL at this whole thread.

Your LOL, but please, speak your mind. Have you seen the maneuverability in the LS video? How does this compare with the Lawnair 28? Do you have this model?

I appreciate your input. Thanks!

LawnSolutionsCP
08-19-2009, 05:55 PM
He is pulling your leg.

Yes, I have a 28 and a mataway as well and logged many hours behind it, but not in the last few years.

I started lawn solutions from doing renovations with these 2 machines. Still have both and they work well, just not the most enjoyable to use.
Posted via Mobile Device

americanlawn
08-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks very much David, but we are having a serious problem posting on this site due to Z-Spray enthusiastists who tend to (you know what). We bought the first of your units in our state, so we have "experience" (duh), but the sad thing is -- we consider this site as "zspray.com".

LawnSolutionsCP
08-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Not sure that I follow what your trying to say exactly.

There are a lot of Z-spray guys on here and they do make a great machine and so do some other compoanies to include the T-3000.

A lot of it is determined by your market, size of truck, if you want to tow a trailer, etc for which matchine fits your needs the best. You don't like having your guys towing a trailer so in your opinion the T-3000 is a better fit for your company than a z-spray.

Can a T-3000 spray as much in a day on large open areas as a some of the larger Z-sprays? No, simply because the Z-spray can hold 2-4 time the amount of liquid as a T-3000.

They are 2 different machines design for similar but different applications. They both spray weeds, both use Spyker hoppers, both use a lot of the same spray parts. Both products have evolved due to problems or issues reported in the field.

The reason the Z-spray owners jump at times is due to what seems to be an exadurations in performance. Any claims need to have supporting data available in the even someone asks for it or any claims from then on are worthless.

Since this is an open forum, everyone needs to be very sure about what they say and be ready to back anything up with hard data or admit if they spoke in error.

For example, I travel so much showing our products because I get calls and emails about how nice our units are on video, but they have seen nice videos before and then the product didn't perform..."So show me" and we have to. ie- show the video then back it up when asked with proof. If we didn't we would be know as the company with nice videos but do they really work.

Does this make sense. Give me a call if you want, I'm out driving tonight like normal, just left Detroit today. Currently stopped to get some gas and a little dinner.
Posted via Mobile Device

rcreech
08-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Not sure that I follow what your trying to say exactly.

There are a lot of Z-spray guys on here and they do make a great machine and so do some other compoanies to include the T-3000.

A lot of it is determined by your market, size of truck, if you want to tow a trailer, etc for which matchine fits your needs the best. You don't like having your guys towing a trailer so in your opinion the T-3000 is a better fit for your company than a z-spray.

Can a T-3000 spray as much in a day on large open areas as a some of the larger Z-sprays? No, simply because the Z-spray can hold 2-4 time the amount of liquid as a T-3000.

They are 2 different machines design for similar but different applications. They both spray weeds, both use Spyker hoppers, both use a lot of the same spray parts. Both products have evolved due to problems or issues reported in the field.

The reason the Z-spray owners jump at times is due to what seems to be an exadurations in performance. Any claims need to have supporting data available in the even someone asks for it or any claims from then on are worthless.

Since this is an open forum, everyone needs to be very sure about what they say and be ready to back anything up with hard data or admit if they spoke in error.

For example, I travel so much showing our products because I get calls and emails about how nice our units are on video, but they have seen nice videos before and then the product didn't perform..."So show me" and we have to. ie- show the video then back it up when asked with proof. If we didn't we would be know as the company with nice videos but do they really work.

Does this make sense. Give me a call if you want, I'm out driving tonight like normal, just left Detroit today. Currently stopped to get some gas and a little dinner.
Posted via Mobile Device

Very well stated David!

That is a very true and unbiased answer.

BTW..the only other advantages of the Z over any other units is SPEED and SPREAD WIDTH (on dry rounds only),

You are right...the Z is almost impossible to beat on effeciency and performance, but it is a whole different animal.

rcreech
08-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks very much David, but we are having a serious problem posting on this site due to Z-Spray enthusiastists who tend to (you know what). We bought the first of your units in our state, so we have "experience" (duh), but the sad thing is -- we consider this site as "zspray.com".

Larry,

I hate it that you see it this way.

You know I think a lot of you and enjoy talking to you.

But with that said...don't you think you may bring some of this upon yourself?

EVERY thread you somehow bring up your T-3000's. I know you are proud..but you know the Z boys ain't gonna let that go.

I still have tons of questions about your production numbers but it isn't that big of a deal!

You are a good guy and I hope you don't take any of this personally.

I just think people are going to question you when you post almost impossible numbers. That is life.

If you are doing it...well then great!

jfoxtrot9
08-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Forgive me if I am slow...What do the last 4 responses have to do with this???

Anyone else with Lawns Solutions or any other aerator purchase/performance experience?

Thanks for anyones help.:)

kenny s
08-20-2009, 08:03 AM
jfoxtrot9,
I have owned a Ryan Lawnaire IV for a number of years now because prior to buying it I never did core aerating. I saw it at one of the dealers here in NJ when I was there for a mower repair. I was thinking of getting one after learning how aerating helps the lawn. Listen to me, if there had been a LS aerater sitting next to the Ryan, and they let me demo both of them, there is NO WAY IN HE__ I would not have purchased the LS over the Ryan. I am not taking anything away from the Ryan machines, (it is a good company with good equipment), BUT, the manuverability and ease of handling the LS aerator far exceeds the others. I can say this because I own a LS Turf Revitilizer powerseeder, and it handles like no other machine I have ever operated. When I am done with a job, I am not beaten up from the handling, turning, backing up and turning, vibration, or anything else. The LS aerator is built the same way, same control and handling, ease of turning and slowing down if need be. You will not be sorry you bought a LS. I know $3000.00 is alot of money, but it will be a one time investment because if you are like me and operate your own equipment, take care of it, clean it after every job, change the oil, and do not let a crew of individuals beat the hell out of it, pile other equipment on top of it, drop it off the trailer, etc, you will have it for you jobs year after year, all from your one time $3000.00 investment. Once it is paid for, it is profit from that time on. Look at other machines, demo the handling and operational features, and then use the LS, then make your decision. You should take David up on his offer to put you in contact with one of the contractors who have bought one in your area. Go see it, try it out, you will not be sorry. Good luck with whatever you buy.
Kenny s

LawnSolutionsCP
08-20-2009, 08:15 AM
jfoxtrot9

You are totally doing what everyone should do when looking to purchase a new piece of equipment that expensive and you will have fore several year. I encourage you to demo all the newer machine on the market to see how they compair; look at ease of use, maintenance, reliability, profitablility, etc... This is only the smart thing to do.

If you are willing to drive so Columbus or Pittsburg area I can most likely set you up with a customer who has one.

I have several people in Cleveland area with our seeder and several who are planning on purchasing our aerators, but currently there isn't an WB Aerator in your area.

David

lawn king
08-21-2009, 06:25 AM
I own the lawn solutions machine (wb). After a 20 minute demo, it was in my truck. It truly is a revolutionary machine!

foreplease
08-21-2009, 06:58 AM
How is your product locator web page coming LSCP?

Grandview
08-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Forgive me if I am slow...What do the last 4 responses have to do with this???

Thanks for anyones help.:)

Nothing. Looked at the video. I like the ride on model.

topdog
08-21-2009, 04:42 PM
I have an LS seeder, & thinking about purchasing an aerator in the next few weeks. I got tired of the local rental stores junk seeders (usualy had to do something to them each time we rented them just to get them to work properly), & purchased an LS seeder used from my exmark dealer. I will say it took me a few yards to get the hang of the controls of the machine. Keep your hand on the forward reverse lever at all times! After that it is a good addition to my company, & no more crappy rental ones. I too wish there was a local dealer for me to demo a unit.

Az Gardener
08-21-2009, 05:26 PM
jfoxtrot9

You are totally doing what everyone should do when looking to purchase a new piece of equipment that expensive and you will have fore several year. I encourage you to demo all the newer machine on the market to see how they compair; look at ease of use, maintenance, reliability, profitablility, etc... This is only the smart thing to do.

If you are willing to drive so Columbus or Pittsburg area I can most likely set you up with a customer who has one.

I have several people in Cleveland area with our seeder and several who are planning on purchasing our aerators, but currently there isn't an WB Aerator in your area.

David

I sent you a PM a few days ago looking for that PHX connection to see a unit.

LawnSolutionsCP
08-21-2009, 07:19 PM
I sent you a PM a few days ago looking for that PHX connection to see a unit.

Just sent you a PM with information to go demo one of our units.

David

LawnSolutionsCP
08-21-2009, 07:21 PM
I have an LS seeder, & thinking about purchasing an aerator in the next few weeks. I got tired of the local rental stores junk seeders (usualy had to do something to them each time we rented them just to get them to work properly), & purchased an LS seeder used from my exmark dealer. I will say it took me a few yards to get the hang of the controls of the machine. Keep your hand on the forward reverse lever at all times! After that it is a good addition to my company, & no more crappy rental ones. I too wish there was a local dealer for me to demo a unit.

We will be at the IPLLA demo day next Thursday.

David

LawnSolutionsCP
08-21-2009, 07:25 PM
How is your product locator web page coming LSCP?

The dealer locator works...not eactly as I wanted...my IT guys is changing the programming on how it will search.

Just put your state in the locator and it will show all the dealers and rental stores in your state.

The new version will go strickly off the zip codes and arrange them in order by distance instead of alphabetical order.

David

foreplease
08-21-2009, 09:01 PM
The dealer locator works...not eactly as I wanted...
Just put your state in the locator and it will show all the dealers and rental stores in your state.
It sure does. Thank you. I should have tried that in addition to the ZIP search.

americanlawn
08-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Not sure about transaxles, engines & stuff. But our T3000's have nearly two years on 'em -- both still run like new. Now about aerators ......

We bought two Lawn Solutions small aerators. So far we're very pleased, but we haven't really given them huge a workout yet....been using them mostly for seeding, but we'll use them much more this fall for hundreds of aeration jobs.

I apologize if this makes anybody mad, but we tried the Z aerator, and it was a disappointment. Cumbersome, and it did not take slopes well at all. The Lawn Solutions "ride-on aerator" was much much better in every way.

As for all the rest, we probably used them all - Classen, LESCO, etc . Heck - we still use a small Ryan walk behind that we bought in the early 90's.

LA28's are decent, but the new Lawn Solutions aerator makes one want to take it to the junkyard and let 'em keep it.

The PLUGR will beat you to death, and so will most other walk behind aerators.

We find most large walk behinds very cumbersome (except on straight aways).

Small walk behinds are the way to go for "trim" areas, but the Bluebird's suck on slopes.

Our favorite small aerators are:

small/trim areas:
1) the new LS aerator (mainly cuz it's hydrostatic)
2) TURFCO
3) Ryan

wide open areas:

1) large TURFCO w/sulky, cuz it's very fast, easy & fun, and it pulls great plugs
2) Ryan pull behinds (48") w/hydraulic lift (behind John Deere 445's) cuz they're fast & easy.

Bottom line, Lawn Solutions is currently a cut above the rest. This is our "current" opinion. But if TURFCO comes out with a hydro aerator, it will be a no brainer for us. Time will tell.

jfoxtrot9
08-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks to all who have responded with advice. I appriciate it much. I am a sole proprieter with one part time employee. I work soley often. Most of my lawns are residential within city limits. Most yards are on the smaller side. To purchase a $3000. machine for a few months a year is a big expense to me. I hate aerating because of the work load it generally is, although push it heavily because one, it is essential to a healthy lawn and secondly is a great money maker.

That being said, I took the dive and put in my order for a Lawn Solutions WB aerator on Monday. I would love to purchase the ride on, but it is alot of money as well as too big for alot of it's application for me. As American Lawn said the larger WBs just plain kick your rear.

I am excited to get it and it will get put to the test this fall for sure! I will be posting my experience with it. I look forward to a less effort aerating experience. I expect to do around 75 jobs with it this fall.

Regards,

Jeff

americanlawn
08-27-2009, 06:58 PM
I should also mention more nice stuff regarding the Lawn Solutions walk-behind aerator. (stuff my guys pointed out to me recently)

1) Using them for seeding allows one to go back & forth as many times as you want (aerating forwards & backwards) without having to turn it around (hydrostatic tranny) so you can thoroughly prepare the soil -- especially on compacted soil.
2) Operates on slopes better than any other walk-behind cuz it has four tires & hydrostatic tranny
3) It's gentle on turf -- so you're not tearing up the turf as much cuz it has four tires & hydrostatic tranny

The Lawn Solutions ride-on aerator was pretty cool too - better than the Z-Plug units we also demo'd.

Bottom line: using hydrostatic transmissions is the way to go regarding aerators. I figure Ryan, TURFCO, and others will follow suit. We'll see.

grass4gas
08-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks to all who have responded with advice. I appriciate it much. I am a sole proprieter with one part time employee. I work soley often. Most of my lawns are residential within city limits. Most yards are on the smaller side. To purchase a $3000. machine for a few months a year is a big expense to me. I hate aerating because of the work load it generally is, although push it heavily because one, it is essential to a healthy lawn and secondly is a great money maker.

That being said, I took the dive and put in my order for a Lawn Solutions WB aerator on Monday. I would love to purchase the ride on, but it is alot of money as well as too big for alot of it's application for me. As American Lawn said the larger WBs just plain kick your rear.

I am excited to get it and it will get put to the test this fall for sure! I will be posting my experience with it. I look forward to a less effort aerating experience. I expect to do around 75 jobs with it this fall.

Regards,

Jeff

I just put my order in for the WB one today. After hearing all the positive comments and watching the video, I figured it was time. I have been using a Ryan lawnaire 4 for years, and it is still plugging along to this day.

I'm a solo operator here also, and most of my lawns are in the 5-15k size. If this things moves with the ease like it does in the video, this fall should be a walk in the park.

With the amount of press that is given to this machine, and any other machine that is made by the sponsors on this forum, I feel confident that any problems that may arise will be taken care of promptly.

My machine should be here by the end of next week, just in time for the fun to begin.

superbee
08-30-2009, 07:09 PM
before you buy, check out the Plugr brand aerators. i have had one for four years and it is a great machine.

mdlwn1
09-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Your LOL, but please, speak your mind. Have you seen the maneuverability in the LS video? How does this compare with the Lawnair 28? Do you have this model?

I appreciate your input. Thanks!

I have seen the video. If your looking for ease of manuverablility, ok maybe thats your machine. I however look for results. There is NO machine out there that will aerate through anything..thoroughly...completely..like lawnair 28. Sure its more work, but there are those that charge to do the work and there are others who charge for RESULTS. I prolly shouldnt have opened my mouth because most guys out there wouldnt know what to do with the Ryan...it would be a 5k mistake for them. Think of that lawn with the pin oak in front where the grass is always thin snd mostly just doesnt grow. The Ryan can be put in neutral and pulled backwards effectivly making holes every 1/2 in...or less! Over seed, starter fert, set their clock to make sure it stays moist. You can get 3x the money others get and the homeowner will SHT when they see a lwan where there never was before. NO OTHER AERATER WILL DO THAT....the PLUGGER (which I unfortunately now own) is merely a step up from a roller type. Bottom line is if you are charging cheap rates to go through the motions get whatever aerates faster. If you are results oriented as well as profit motivated...you need to step up your game from some of these aerators.

jfoxtrot9
09-03-2009, 09:58 AM
I have seen the video. If your looking for ease of manuverablility, ok maybe thats your machine. I however look for results. There is NO machine out there that will aerate through anything..thoroughly...completely..like lawnair 28. Sure its more work, but there are those that charge to do the work and there are others who charge for RESULTS. I prolly shouldnt have opened my mouth because most guys out there wouldnt know what to do with the Ryan...it would be a 5k mistake for them. Think of that lawn with the pin oak in front where the grass is always thin snd mostly just doesnt grow. The Ryan can be put in neutral and pulled backwards effectivly making holes every 1/2 in...or less! Over seed, starter fert, set their clock to make sure it stays moist. You can get 3x the money others get and the homeowner will SHT when they see a lwan where there never was before. NO OTHER AERATER WILL DO THAT....the PLUGGER (which I unfortunately now own) is merely a step up from a roller type. Bottom line is if you are charging cheap rates to go through the motions get whatever aerates faster. If you are results oriented as well as profit motivated...you need to step up your game from some of these aerators.

Maybe I need a magical aerator that runs on Lucky Charms!!

Yeah, thats it...

LawnSolutionsCP
09-03-2009, 10:36 AM
I just put my order in for the WB one today...

Your unit shipped last night and you will have it delivered on Friday (tomorrow)

David

americanlawn
09-03-2009, 07:06 PM
One of my guys did an aeration/overseeding job last night. Mostly the rear & south side of the house where they had "summer patch" disease on KBG. The backyard was at least 35 degrees slope (verified by digital angle meter). He used a LS walk-behind aerator. He went down the steep backyard in forward gear & went up the steep slope in reverse gear -- all the time aerating (pulling plugs). Currently, we know of no other aerator that can do this. Not trying to sell stuff -- just what we know. Thanks David, americanlawn.

jbturf
09-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Dave, ive emailed you twice over the past couple weeks looking for a price
for the wb aerator- still no reply?

some body have this info they can share with me? pm is ok

LawnSolutionsCP
09-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Dave, ive emailed you twice over the past couple weeks looking for a price
for the wb aerator- still no reply?

some body have this info they can share with me? pm is ok

They are $3,250

Found you emails in my spam filter.

David

LawnSolutionsCP
09-03-2009, 08:31 PM
JBTURF

Richey & Clapper is getting 5 of them on Saturday in Sudbury, MA. Give them a call, they will go very fast.

David

RABBITMAN11
09-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Get a ride on much more fun!

jbturf
09-04-2009, 07:24 AM
JBTURF

Richey & Clapper is getting 5 of them on Saturday in Sudbury, MA. Give them a call, they will go very fast.

David
ok, thanks for the info

grass4gas
09-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Just received my WB Lawn Solutions Aerator. Unpacked it, fired it up and did some practice runs on my lawn. My lawn is a little dry, and so I was not pulling deep plugs. It was factory set at 2 1/2" depth. It says it will pull 4" cores, but was unable to do that on my lawn. Again it is a little dry. I'll post my results next week after I put it through it's paces.

Real easy to operate, and so much more enjoyable to use than my ryan. Long straight passes allow the use of using 1 hand if so desired. Very easy to use in tight spaces. I can see this working out well.

EastCoast
09-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Any additional dealers on Long Island, then what your website displays.... I would love to purchase one for my home.

LawnSolutionsCP
09-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Any additional dealers on Long Island, then what your website displays.... I would love to purchase one for my home.

No dealers on Long Island stocking aerators at this time....you can purchase direct. Just give us a call and we can have one there in 2-days.

Thanks

David

grass4gas
09-14-2009, 09:06 PM
OK. I have been able to put the LS WB aerator to work the last few days. Here is my take on it both pro's and con's...

PRO'S

1. Bar none-great machine. Now, I can only compare it the the Ryan
Lawaire 4. No comparison. I really like the fact that I can aerate in both directions. On sidewalks strips I just move forward and backwards all the while I'm aerating.

2. Ease of use. After a few lawns it becomes second nature on the controls. Real simple to manuever.

3. Nice touch on the depth adjustment. Aerate 2" to 4" deep. Just loosen 2 nuts on each side and slide the depth adjustment up or down.

4. As far as maintainence...virtually maintainence free.

CON'S

1. Front end is light. On hard surfaces the drive wheels just want to spin unless you push "UP" on the handles to provide downforce. Going downhill-no problems. Uphill has problems. Going up a set of ramps might be a little difficult. I do believe they have a weight kit available. That would help.

2. Gas tank is "way to small". I'm having to fill up every 2 hours of aerating.

Conclusion...The machine performs as stated. Overall, I am very happy with the unit. If your on the fence, try to demo one if you can. I bought mine sight unseen, except for the videos. I was not displeased. You won't be either.

Jack

LawnSolutionsCP
09-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Excellent review. I agree with pretty much everything. We are looking into making a custom gas tanks for that engine that will allow an opertor to run all day without filling.

As for needing extra weight in the front. Please clarify for people reading that you comment was that it doesn't pull itself up hills (not aerating / tines up) unless you lift on the handles. This is done for 2 reason...safety and performance.

1. Try removing the weights from the back of the unit which will give you the extra pull from the front tires when transporting, then try and aerate. How does it handle? The unit is balanced with the weight to perform while aerating not to and from the trailer. Other aerators do drive better to and from the trailer than our machines, but nothing aerates like our aerators. If you want to get more wt on the front without sacraficing perforance, remove the weights when transporting but this is too much work.

2. How are other aerators to load and unload or load using ramps.... Have you seen guys drop the tines and let them pull the aerator up because it can't get grip going up the ramps and then plow into the back side of the truck or other aerator. With our machine the front tires pull it up the ramps when you lift on the tires, stop lifting and the unit stops pulling so you don't run through the back of your truck. It also makes it very easy to back down ramps. Just roll it backward and lift on the handles for a brake.

Let me know if this makes sense. A lot of though and discussions when into designing the balance, controls, and handling of this unit.

David

Plug It Lawn Aeration
09-14-2009, 11:19 PM
I agree with grass4gas's review.

I have been using my wb unit for a few weeks and have pulled a 3 inch core from time to time on an irrigated lawn. My own lawn has an irrigation system used 3 days/week and I am pulling 2.5" cores. It might have something to do with the clay we have in Indiana (Ft. Wayne)

When using the Bluebird and Billygoat, my left knee was always getting sore by about the 4th lawn. I have aerated 10 lawns in one day so far without any pain in the knee. No need to pull around on the machine. Just pull up on the handle and it goes in reverse. I could complete more than 10 lawns in one day, but I just haven't been able to create a good tight schedule yet.

David, I've seen a ride on unit advertised in Turf for $6500. Is this unit available?

EastCoast
09-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Is there any more literature on your products outside of the webpage?

willretire@40
09-15-2009, 12:08 AM
Has anyone compared this unit to the pluger 850 yet? I am thinking of selling my unit to buy this one but just want to know if it is a big difference between the two.

Plug It Lawn Aeration
09-15-2009, 12:42 AM
I have a Pluger 800 and do not like using it. I can only use it on flat lawns that have just the right amount of moisture. Too much moisture in the ground will cause it not to pull itself and you will wear yourself out. Uphill is a complete battle. I simply carry it on my trailer as a back up incase my primary machine breaks down. It will allow me to finish the job and then I could go rent a machine. I do not like my Pluger.

grass4gas
09-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Excellent review. I agree with pretty much everything. We are looking into making a custom gas tanks for that engine that will allow an opertor to run all day without filling.

As for needing extra weight in the front. Please clarify for people reading that you comment was that it doesn't pull itself up hills (not aerating / tines up) unless you lift on the handles. This is done for 2 reason...safety and performance.

1. Try removing the weights from the back of the unit which will give you the extra pull from the front tires when transporting, then try and aerate. How does it handle? The unit is balanced with the weight to perform while aerating not to and from the trailer. Other aerators do drive better to and from the trailer than our machines, but nothing aerates like our aerators. If you want to get more wt on the front without sacraficing perforance, remove the weights when transporting but this is too much work.

2. How are other aerators to load and unload or load using ramps.... Have you seen guys drop the tines and let them pull the aerator up because it can't get grip going up the ramps and then plow into the back side of the truck or other aerator. With our machine the front tires pull it up the ramps when you lift on the tires, stop lifting and the unit stops pulling so you don't run through the back of your truck. It also makes it very easy to back down ramps. Just roll it backward and lift on the handles for a brake.

Let me know if this makes sense. A lot of though and discussions when into designing the balance, controls, and handling of this unit.

David

Loading the unit on a trailer is not a problem. Anything steeper, say ramps on the back of of pickup would be the issue. Sometimes I have to park down the street from the job, and having to go uphill you do have to use down force on the front tires. It really is not that big of a problem.

I understand the safety aspect. Does the weight bar in the front add so much weight that it might be cumbersome to manuever while aerating?

As you mentioned, dragging the front tires when unloading works well. The drum style aerators...you would drag the drum while pulling on the drive handle to "lock" the drum so as to use it as a brake because the machine is not running.

Did 6 more today. This thing really gets the jobs done quick.

LawnSolutionsCP
09-15-2009, 09:59 PM
The front weight is designed to be used with a 3rd rear weight adding 60 lbs.
Posted via Mobile Device