PDA

View Full Version : filling ride-on units + how?

americanlawn
08-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Curious as to how 'you all' refill your ride-on sprayer/spreaders??

We have three options depending on which pickup units/pumps we utilize (which also depends upon the size of the job). 9.5 gpm all the way up to 140 gpm.

One reason I am asking this question is due to the fact that we thought it was inexcusable for "some" to criticize "facts" with no personal experience ("two of our ride-ons sprayed out 1200 gallons in one day") -- which was quite accurate, yet a select few straight up called me a liar. (been there, done that, had to post pics, and everytime folks said "ooops, I didn't know"). :confused:

Having no clue regarding nozzles used, manpower, trucks involved, and refill pumps used, some (on this site) felt at ease to say we lied. I won't go into detail as to which brand of ride-on folks turned an informative thread into a total bashing of a competitor's unit, cuz this site is not mean't for that, but I find it sad for uninformed LCO's with little or no experience regarding "our" units to criticize what we have and what we use to get the job done.

In fact, here's a pic of our first ride-on that effectively killed weeds on a regular basis. It's for sale, so we can buy another of "what we have".

Bottom line: How do YOU refill your spray tanks on your ride-ons?

rscvp, thanks

ted putnam
08-18-2009, 10:06 PM
With a HOSE! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sweet Tater
08-18-2009, 10:23 PM
That is a kewl machine, If I were lic in that field that looks like what I'd like to have

RigglePLC
08-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Ted is right--use a hose. Although I also fill my Ultra using my 400 gallon weed killer tank and Chemlawn gun.

If you are talking dry fert--I park my Permagreen next to the pickup bed and pour the fert from the bag into the hopper while standing in the bed of the pickup.

americanlawn
08-18-2009, 11:21 PM
We stand in the back of the pickup truck & fill BOTH liquid & dry fert (all at the same time) without moving our feet more than 3 or 4 feet.

It's VERY quick but this is cuz we utilize 'carrier racks'. See pic. The pump on this particular truck sports a Hypro D-50. Under two minutes per fill. "Fast and the Furious". LOL That's how we do it...cool. Got another unit that fills over 100 gpm... now that's VERY fast. Hope you all understand now how fast we fill as well as the convenience by filling the unit while on the carrier rack (which are so lightweight that on guy can lift). Thanks.

p.s. I'm getting to the point that I really do not want "our secrets" being let out. Sorry 1200 gallon doubters. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ted is right--use a hose. Although I also fill my Ultra using my 400 gallon weed killer tank and Chemlawn gun.

If you are talking dry fert--I park my Permagreen next to the pickup bed and pour the fert from the bag into the hopper while standing in the bed of the pickup.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-18-2009, 11:41 PM
p.s. I'm getting to the point that I really do not want "our secrets" being let out. Sorry 1200 gallon doubters. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh sure, Tell a big lie & then hide behind "I can't tell you-it's a secret":hammerhead:

Typical Larry:laugh:

rcreech
08-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Larry,

I thought you said that you really didn't use 1200 gallon and you forgot that those numbers were from who treated that area previously?????

I am confused!

Ok then...

Tell us how many acres you covered with both machine
How long did it take you
What tips did you use (gallons/ac)
How many times you filled
Spray only or fert and spray?
Please describe the area....flat and open or hilly and cut up

Learn me!

I would never call you a liar as you are a good friend...but no secret can DOUBLE a machines production! :dizzy:

Question I would have is...why in the heck would you WANT to use 1200 gallon through a ride on.

Water is your enemy when spraying.

The largest day I usually have (and this is a big day) with one machine is about 20-22 acres. That is only 240 gallon MAX. After that I get bored and tired and I am ready to go home! I don't like working big days anymore! :)

ted putnam
08-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Larry,

I thought you said that you really didn't use 1200 gallon and you forgot that those numbers were from who treated that area previously?????

I am confused!

Ok then...

How long did it take you

Learn me!

I would never call you a liar as you are a good friend...but no secret can DOUBLE a machines production! :dizzy:

Question I would have is...why in the heck would you WANT to use 1200 gallon through a ride on.

Water is your enemy when spraying.

The largest day I usually have (and this is a big day) with one machine is about 20-22 acres. That is only 240 gallon MAX. After that I get bored and tired and I am ready to go home! I don't like working big days anymore! :)

Everyone's confused Rod :confused: I don't know why you bother asking questions that won't ever be answered. Some people never grow tired of trying to be King Turd of Sh!t Hill. Probably got beat up frequently when he was in school...like when y'all dog-piled him the other day. Some things never change. :dizzy:

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-19-2009, 12:20 AM
Larry,

How long did it take you

.[/B]

Umm...He can't tell you that-It's classified:p

Grandview
08-19-2009, 09:16 AM
100 gpm coming out into a 8 gal tank means a few spills and some splashing.
Do not see how pulling onto the rack is any faster than how I do it. Plus you are filling a lot more than me. I fill once for every 6-7 times you do.

grassman177
08-19-2009, 09:20 AM
well, we had two tank trucks already so we made a by pass right out of the pump and before the hose reel. this allowed us to utilize the full pressure and flow. we upsized the hose to 3/4" and put a ball valve on the end of it. we are filling around 9 gpm i think, it doesnt matter though as it is fast, so to put it another way we turned our spray tanks into nurse tanks without negating the hose reels with a nifty bypass doohicky. maybe i can take pics sometime. works great!

joevg
08-19-2009, 11:33 AM
im guessing he doesn't use the 100gpm pump to fill the ride-on unit. i believe he has huge tanks at his shop that are maybe premixed so that 100gpm pump probably fills the truck tanks. i am not trying to turn another one of Larry's threads into a huge ***** fest like last time cause that was dumb. but if you haven't seen his setup and the way he runs his business then why bash what he says? i mean if you don't understand his numbers or whatever then thats understandable but just ask or better yet pm him. it doesn't have to turn into a huge fight. once again not trying to piss anyone off just get sick of reading, trying to learn and have to listen to people ***** at each other. just my opinion.

Volman
08-19-2009, 01:48 PM
i have a hard time beleving those numbers also, but i won't discredit until i hear or see how he does it. I run a Z intermed. & that would be 33 fill ups with 2 machines. I don't think that much ground could be covered with a small ride on. I have a a nurse tank with a 2" hose & ball valve. I mix on site because i just spray the target weeds, not blanket everyting. After i pour in chemicals I can fill with water in less than a min with no pump. I est. about 2 min to fill fert. & liquid

Service 1st Lawn Care
08-19-2009, 03:31 PM
I don't this thread had anything to do with his question, I don't know this person but he and the z-spray guys have a little feud going. But it seems to me he can't let things die just continues to bring old crap up again and again. Why would he really care how, and how long it takes to fill your tank? By the way mine is gravity filled takes about 5 minutes gives me time to get a drink and take a piss.

Oh by the way I'll be picking up my z-spray in September.:clapping:

americanlawn
08-19-2009, 06:03 PM
4 trucks, 2 spray units, 4 guys. 1/2 gal per 1000 s/f. Skipped some areas (construction/renovation), applied 12-12-12 (all mineral) that the property bought this spring for newly seeded areas (athletic fields & other). Didn't keep track, but guessing we filled three to four dozen times (used two trash pumps for the most part for refilling). It was a long day for all. We took this 'commercial property' over cuz their staff was too busy to apply product. Several LCO's bid on this, so I don't really like describing details as to how long it takes & how much product -- that would just make it easy for them to rebid next spring.

The LESCO Z-two sprayer/spreader is awesome for killing weeds, but it's best for flat/wide open areas. It also requires a 6 x 12 trailer for transport. That's why it's for sale. (half price of new)

p.s. This property was treated with BWC spray only, except for starter fert.

We have treated cemeteries/state parks that were each 20 acres plus in less than 7 hours, so I hope now folks can understand. I never said what brand was used, so I'm hoping all can respect what my guys accomplished. By the way, we probably could have treated nearly all this property with the LESCO Z-two (same as Cub Cadet "Tank"). Thanks.

klsgc
08-20-2009, 12:30 AM
I rarely reply on this forum, but I read up almost every day. Can't help but notice larry's problem with bringing up the same things over and over and over. I would just like to point out that even though he thinks the t's are so efficient, they do have one big weakness in my opinion. They are stuck at 5mph. I have a school system I do with my junior (spread only) Its 30 acres at 12 locations. I widen out my pattern to 12' tire to tire. I increase my speed to 7-7.5 mph which is quite fast, but most areas are smooth enough and wide open. Last round I completed in 6.5 hours. Do the math, its very possible, but not with a t. Thats production!

p.s. I saw a intermediate on a carrier rack just like larry's last week, so not sure why thats such a huge selling point for the t.

ted putnam
08-20-2009, 02:13 AM
I rarely reply on this forum, but I read up almost every day. Can't help but notice larry's problem with bringing up the same things over and over and over. I would just like to point out that even though he thinks the t's are so efficient, they do have one big weakness in my opinion. They are stuck at 5mph. I have a school system I do with my junior (spread only) Its 30 acres at 12 locations. I widen out my pattern to 12' tire to tire. I increase my speed to 7-7.5 mph which is quite fast, but most areas are smooth enough and wide open. Last round I completed in 6.5 hours. Do the math, its very possible, but not with a t. Thats production!

p.s. I saw a intermediate on a carrier rack just like larry's last week, so not sure why thats such a huge selling point for the t.

WOW...That's banging it out for sure. I can see that being done at a 24 ft spread width at the stated speed with the terrain you described. Everyone works hard I'm sure, but you can't tell me that guys are going to work like a NASCAR pit crew for 10-12 hrs with no breaks. Even with 2 machines, his numbers don't add up! Tall tales and bragging always inflate egos but most people have enough sense to smell BS a mile away.

grassman177
08-20-2009, 08:37 PM
i see your schwartz is as big as mine!!!!! hahah

americanlawn
08-20-2009, 08:55 PM
For unbelievers, I will make this simple. Some days just one ride-on sprayer can go through almost 200 gallons per day at the "1/4 gallon per K" rate treating several residential properties.

Now figure this: TWO ride-ons applying "TWICE as much product per K" (1/2 gal per K) with NO drive time either.

Honestly, a 3rd grade student could figure this out. I responded cuz I stand behind what we do & how we do it, but now it's getting a bit old. No hard feelings to anybody, just figured I'd make it easier for all to figure out.

rcreech
08-20-2009, 11:16 PM
For unbelievers, I will make this simple. Some days just one ride-on sprayer can go through almost 200 gallons per day at the "1/4 gallon per K" rate treating several residential properties.

Now figure this: TWO ride-ons applying "TWICE as much product per K" (1/2 gal per K) with NO drive time either.

Honestly, a 3rd grade student could figure this out. I responded cuz I stand behind what we do & how we do it, but now it's getting a bit old. No hard feelings to anybody, just figured I'd make it easier for all to figure out.

Larry,

Here is your math....

If you are typically using 1 ride on and going through 200 gallons/day using 1/4 gallon tips...then that same machine would go through 400 gallons/day using 1/2 gallon tips.

Now using 2 machines...that would be a total of 800 gallons.

So what am I missing? That is still 400 gallons short of 1200 gallons.

And you state that this doesn't include any drive time...but you will also be filling TWICE as much as when you use 1/4 gallon tips.

One question I have Larry...is why did you use 1/2 gallon tips? Water doesn't improve your kill so why take all the extra time, manpower and water?

Again, I am not an unbeliever...just trying to figure out how you did the impossible.

ted putnam
08-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Here is your One question I have Larry...is why did you use 1/2 gallon tips? Water doesn't improve your kill so why take all the extra time, manpower and water?

Again, I am not an unbeliever...just trying to figure out how you did the impossible.

Tall Tales sometimes include exagerated figures for "shock" value. When a "bluff" is called sometimes it becomes necessary to back-track, reconfigure to make the Tall Tale a little more believable while still retaining "shock" value. Hopefully this explains why he used 1/2 gal tips...

klsgc
08-21-2009, 12:38 AM
I thought I saw in another thread that larry said that he was mistaken and that was his competitor's numbers from that site. Now he decided it really was 1200 gal.????????

Grandview
08-21-2009, 07:57 AM
I thought I saw in another thread that larry said that he was mistaken and that was his competitor's numbers from that site. Now he decided it really was 1200 gal.????????

At 20 gal/acre using 1200 gal. That is 60 acres. Maybe but skeptical.

rcreech
08-21-2009, 08:26 AM
At 20 gal/acre using 1200 gal. That is 60 acres. Maybe but skeptical.

That would be hard to do...then think about fillling 75 times between 2 machines also.

Not saying Larry didn't do it...but it just doesn't add up and I guess it really doesn't matter. I only have to worry about my business, but this sounded strange.

I guess I personally wouldn't brag about how many gallons were used as that really isn't a measurement anyone cares about. We don't get paid for how many gallons we use! Now if you want to brag about sq ft covered...that is what pays the bills!

Technically if you are going to run that high of gallons...I would highly recommend the Z Spray. You could have gotten a lot more accomplished running lower gallons with the AI tip. You were only covering 32K per fill and I could have sprayed over 4 acres withou filling. You may want to think about gettn one! :laugh:

I don't want to beat this anymore...but I just found your numbers not adding up. No big deal!

Good job Larry!

turfcobob
08-21-2009, 11:44 AM
That would be hard to do...then think about fillling 75 times between 2 machines also.

Not saying Larry didn't do it...but it just doesn't add up and I guess it really doesn't matter. I only have to worry about my business, but this sounded strange.

I guess I personally wouldn't brag about how many gallons were used as that really isn't a measurement anyone cares about. We don't get paid for how many gallons we use! Now if you want to brag about sq ft covered...that is what pays the bills!

Technically if you are going to run that high of gallons...I would highly recommend the Z Spray. You could have gotten a lot more accomplished running lower gallons with the AI tip. You were only covering 32K per fill and I could have sprayed over 4 acres withou filling. You may want to think about gettn one! :laugh:

I don't want to beat this anymore...but I just found your numbers not adding up. No big deal!

Good job Larry!

1200 gallon divided by 16 equals 75 fill ups divide that by two equals 37 fill ups per machine. Or you can look at it this way..

Each unit is putting out .5 or half gallon per K and spraying 4 k per minute that is two gallon a minute. Times two machines you get 4 gallon a minute. Divide 1200 gallong by 4 you get 300 minutes divide that by 60 you get 5 hours of spray time for two machines to use 1200 gallons. That gives them 3 to 4 hours for fill up time in any given day. I have to tell you it adds up to me.

Look at it this way. .5 gallon per k or 1 gallon per 2k. 2k times 1200 gallon equals 2,400,000 sq ft, divide that by 4000 sq ft per minute you get 600 minutes or 10 hours of spraying. Divide the 10 by two machines and you get 5 hours each per machine. If they are working 10 hour days to do this property it gives them 5 hours of spraying and 5 hours of filling. What is wrong with his figures?

Now they will fill each machine 37 times at 5 minutes each that is 3 hours and that leaves him two hours for other stuff.

rcreech
08-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Turfobob,

It doesn't surprise me that you believe your famous "infomerial man" on here because he sure supports you doesn't he????? :laugh:

No...I think a lot of Larry but you are nuts if you think they can go through 1200 gallon in 5 hours. You must have a "stoned" calculator!

You can push that calculator all you want. Out here in the "real world" we know what can be done.

Your "funny math" is the same reason I called you out on your literature for the T-3000 several months ago. You didn't even have your numbers correct on your literature for heavens sake! :dizzy: Yes your data was mathmatically possible...but not physically possible! :laugh:

We are out here in the trenches doing this everyday so you are not going to fool us...even with your "30 years or experience".

I can't even do those numbers with my Z and I can spray 4 acres/fill.

I am talking actual numbers here.

It is hard to get over 3-3.5 acres/hr with a machine....and then when you spray at .5 gallon/k you would be lucky to do that!

Showing this kind of support has to say something you!

turfcobob
08-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Turfobob,

It doesn't surprise me that you believe your famous "infomerial man" on here because he sure supports you doesn't he????? :laugh:

No...I think a lot of Larry but you are nuts if you think they can go through 1200 gallon in 5 hours. You must have a "stoned" calculator!

You can push that calculator all you want. Out here in the "real world" we know what can be done.

Your "funny math" is the same reason I called you out on your literature for the T-3000 several months ago. You didn't even have your numbers correct on your literature for heavens sake! :dizzy: Yes your data was mathmatically possible...but not physically possible! :laugh:

We are out here in the trenches doing this everyday so you are not going to fool us...even with your "30 years or experience".

I can't even do those numbers with my Z and I can spray 4 acres/fill.

I am talking actual numbers here.

It is hard to get over 3-3.5 acres/hr with a machine....and then when you spray at .5 gallon/k you would be lucky to do that!

Showing this kind of support has to say something you!

Rod, You asked for calculations and I gave them to you. They are logical and possible. Did he or did he not the numbers say it can be done. nuff said

rcreech
08-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Rod, You asked for calculations and I gave them to you. They are logical and possible. Did he or did he not the numbers say it can be done. nuff said

I didn't ask for CALCULATIONS....I asked for REAL NUMBERS!!!!!

Big difference there my friend!

RABBITMAN11
08-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Hey turfcoBob, are you on c___k too because you just don't stop, do you.(LOL).
Your still trying to convince us that your machine can put up numbers like a Z. Dude your nutz You still haven't answered my questions about your t 3000. Put up or shut up! News flash t3333 and MTD in battle for tractor of Year! LOL LOL Dude can't you take a joke*trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag*

rcreech
08-21-2009, 06:49 PM
News flash t3333 and MTD in battle for tractor of Year! LOL LOL Dude can't you take a joke*trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag*

Rabbit,

John Deere used to win the battle all the time...but they went to Zero turns and are no longer a player in the "tractor market".

Wonder why they would have done that if tractor setups are so much quicker and effecient??? :laugh:

RABBITMAN11
08-21-2009, 06:55 PM
LOL *trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag*

FdLLawnMan
08-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Hey Rodney

How much could you do in a day if you were doing one large location with few obstacles, you had enough trucks with water, and all you were doing was spraying.

rcreech
08-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Hey Rodney

How much could you do in a day if you were doing one large location with few obstacles, you had enough trucks with water, and all you were doing was spraying.

What do you call a day? I don't work over 8 hours typically because I get tired of it! I try and quit everyday by 3 or 4 so I can go home and work (where the fun starts).

I typically do anywhere between 10-15 acres a day but some days are better and some are not that good.

I have done 22 acres in a day....but that was using 1/4 gallon tips and only filling every 2.2 acres.

If you call a day 18-20 hours...then it could maybe be done!

Hope Larry made good money because I would have to have 4 people and 4 trucks tied up on a job like that! Still can't figure out why such high gallons. I think Ted could be right!

americanlawn
08-24-2009, 10:19 PM
We tried to share and tell folks how happy we were with our equipment, but in return..... all we saw on this site were a bunch of ???? with little or NO knowledge/experience regarding our equipment & their capabilities. All they wanted to do is 'doubt us & call me names' (L.T. Rich - You're a fine outfit for sure, so I hope you're viewing too), cuz I'm pretty mad at your "boys".

So for those who have a (very) difficult time figuring where their next lunch comes from, I'll spell it out in plain English....here we go:

1200 gallons of spray in one day with two ride-on's:

It's not uncommon for 'each' of our ride-on's to go thru nearly 200 gallons per day on 'weedy lawns' at a "1/4 gallon rate". Up to 15 lawns per day (depending on size, weed pressure, etc). Double that = 400 gallons per day PER unit using the light green nozzle (1/2 gal per K for those in the dark, which apparently are most) means twice as much product. That equates to almost 800 gallons per day on over two dozen properties.

Now figure this: 1 account, 2 ride-ons, very little drive time, plenty of refill trucks/equipment/manpower. ie: going thu 50% more product per K on one account is quite easy. (at least for us). So I have to assume the obvious -- critics have no foundation whatsoever regarding their (unfounded) posts. Sad, but obviously true, cuz we did it -- they did NOT. :hammerhead:

rcreech
08-24-2009, 10:42 PM
We tried to share and tell folks how happy we were with our equipment, but in return..... all we saw on this site were a bunch of ???? with little or NO knowledge/experience regarding our equipment & their capabilities. All they wanted to do is 'doubt us & call me names' (L.T. Rich - You're a fine outfit for sure, so I hope you're viewing too), cuz I'm pretty mad at your "boys".

So for those who have a (very) difficult time figuring where their next lunch comes from, I'll spell it out in plain English....here we go:

It's not uncommon for 'each' of our ride-on's to go thru nearly 200 gallons per day on 'weedy lawns' at a "1/4 gallon rate". Up to 15 lawns per day (depending on size, weed pressure, etc). Double that = 400 gallons per day PER unit using the light green nozzle (1/2 gal per K for those in the dark, which apparently are most) means twice as much product. That equates to almost 800 gallons per day on over two dozen properties.

Now figure this: 1 account, 2 ride-ons, very little drive time, plenty of refill trucks/equipment/manpower. ie: going thu 50% more product per K on one account is quite easy. (at least for us). So I have to assume the obvious -- critics have no foundation whatsoever regarding their (unfounded) posts. Sad, but obviously true, cuz we did it -- they did NOT. :hammerhead:

Larry,

As stated...I run large properties and even with 1/4 gallon tips and with my new machine I can run over 4 acres/fill...and I still don't think I could even come close to running through that type of material.

I am not a whiner...but I will question someone when it doesn't make sense.

Why did you run 1/2 gallon btw? Can't understand why. I couldn't imagine loading that much.

I spray new lawns all the time that are literally FULL of weeds and I always run 1/4 gallon/k. Just curious to why all the wasted water, time and effort.

QUESTION:
If you go through 200 gallons of water a day where do you put your dry fert?

For me...I do go through close to 200 gallons of water a day and that required me to ALSO go through almost 50 BAGS of fert (using a 33%N).

How do you carry a rack on the back of your truck, 200 gallon of water and 50 bags of fert?

That is why I need an love my box truck. I can run all day and don't run out of anything!

RigglePLC
08-24-2009, 10:55 PM
I saw TruGreen truck last week. They had a Turfco T-3000 on a carrier rack on the back of a 2.5 ton stake truck, with a lot of fertilizer. Doing 40 in a 35 zone. LOL!

RABBITMAN11
08-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Larry sometimes its better to throw in the towel! Nobody is buying it!
Also you said that the 1200 gallons was someone else. You flip flop around like John Kerry.

ted putnam
08-25-2009, 12:00 AM
[QUOTE=americanlawn;3156828]We tried to share and tell folks how happy we were with our equipment, but in return..... all we saw on this site were a bunch of ???? with little or NO knowledge/experience regarding our equipment & their capabilities. All they wanted to do is 'doubt us & call me names' (L.T. Rich - You're a fine outfit for sure, so I hope you're viewing too), cuz I'm pretty mad at your "boys".

Now figure this: 1 account, 2 ride-ons, very little drive time, plenty of refill trucks/equipment/manpower. ie: going thu 50% more product per K on one account is quite easy. (at least for us). So I have to assume the obvious -- critics have no foundation whatsoever regarding their (unfounded) posts. Sad, but obviously true, cuz we did it -- they did NOT. :hammerhead:[/QUOTE

%^(*$#@------:sleeping: