PDA

View Full Version : Snapper Lawn Mowers

wshumate
03-05-2000, 07:14 PM
Am considering purchasing a Snapper riding mower, anyone have any comments or suggestions to offer me?

EDL
03-10-2000, 12:29 PM
I take it you are buying a non commercial ride on. Snapper is a great mower for home owners, we have had a couple of large walkbehinds that were/are great. There are plenty of snappers out there, and they hold up.

TPC
03-10-2000, 06:19 PM
I have had some experince with snapper mowers<br>and they are great.I was a mech. for about a year while building my business,and still frequent the shop.My advise is to get a rear engine rider in which they have not changed the design in a really long time.that is of course if you need a smaller mower.(32&quot;-40&quot;)<p>HOPE I HAVE HELPED

grasscapeinc
03-19-2000, 09:19 AM
For the most part, Snapper is one of the better brands.

cjcland
03-31-2000, 10:25 PM
i bought a 48&quot; snapper w/b 2 years ago for 1200 and i only had to put a clutch on it at the end of the first season it has been a great mower<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida

rdh778
09-30-2007, 09:55 PM
I have an old (12 years or so) walk behind snapper mower.
(Model P21407T) Over the last two years it has gotten harder and harder to start and now it is just not worth the long effort to get it started. When it starts it usually will start up and then die, then start up and die again, then start up and almost die and then ossicilate between running slow and fast until it finally runs evenly at full speed. Almost like it can't get enough gas. I have taken the carb. apart and cleaned it but can't seem to figure out the problem. Is there a screen in the gas tank that could be clogged?

Has anyone had this type of problem with their snapper or any other kind of mower?

Restrorob
09-30-2007, 11:11 PM
rdh778,

It would be helpful to have ALL the engine numbers so I can see exactly what you have there....

Edit; Well heck....Didn't notice the date.

hotrodsnapper
10-03-2007, 03:03 PM
I had to chime in on this one.

I think Snapper mades the best cutting HO rider.

I have a 10+ year old rear-engine unit, and it works like a charm. It has a greasable spindle and I have no problem getting parts. The only thing that I have replaced regularly is the drive disc ($13) and the blade ($30--ouch!). If you can find one with a Honda or Kohler, I would prefer those over briggs, but I think they only sell them with briggs nowadays. They seem to have a lot of quality control problems with the briggs engines, I rarely hear about any problems with these mowers except problems with the briggs engines. Also, if buying new, make sure you get it from a place that works on them, I think they assemble them in-store and setting up the drivetrain alignment seems to be beyond a lot of folks. (myself included until Restorob educated me)

The traditional front-engine lawn tractors cut really good, but are way overpriced compared to Huquavarna and Cub Cadet for similar hp and deck size. Also, they ones I have been around use a peerless transmission identical to the one on the super-cheapy (Bolens, Yard-Man, etc) mowers that is not very tough. My neighbor's Snapper transmission ate itself for lunch after pulling a little Lowe's aerator with 2 cinder blocks on it about halfway across his yard. That transmission will cost upwards of $500 just in parts if his mechanic can't fix it.

BTW, when his tractor died he hollered at me and finished with my little RER. Mine finished up his acre lot without any complaints.

Sorry for the long post, if you have a yard small enough for the Rear engine mower, it will treat you good. If you want the tractor version, don't plan on pulling a lot with it, otherwise a nice machine.