PDA

View Full Version : Post-Emergent Herbicide

betmr
08-19-2009, 11:51 AM
I am Licensed Applicator. My position is Groundskeeper. I would like to get opinions on best all-round Broad leaf Herbicide to keep on hand, for use on KBG & Rye blend turf. And if there is a Broad leaf Herbicide that is recommended for use on fine fescue turf.

I presently have Roundup-Pro for Curbs, Sidewalks, and Post-emergent in beds. I've used Chaser (ester) for cooler temp spraying, and Trimeck for warmer temps. Have I got it right? Or can I improve on what I use?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

suzook
08-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Drive works great on KBG and Rye, but will do some serious damage, probable total kill on the fine fescue. acclaim is much safer on the the fine, but not as effective as the drive IMHO.

FdLLawnMan
08-20-2009, 12:12 AM
Any 3-way, such as Trimec will work on cool season grasses just fine. To really get the job done you can spike the 3-way with Octane or Carfentenzone "Quicksilver".

betmr
08-20-2009, 08:41 AM
JD Landscapes says Momentum XF2 is good for me, any opinions on that? Also I have lots of Clover to deal with in the lawns & beds.

FdLLawnMan
08-20-2009, 08:57 AM
JD Landscapes says Momentum XF2 is good for me, any opinions on that? Also I have lots of Clover to deal with in the lawns & beds.

Momentum Fx2 is very good. Will easily take care of clover. If you want fast knockdown mix it with Octane. Just make sure you apply it at the correct rate.

kirk1701
08-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Any 3-way, such as Trimec will work on cool season grasses just fine. To really get the job done you can spike the 3-way with Octane or Carfentenzone "Quicksilver".

Quick question.
I was told Trimec you needed a license to obtain did I get correct info?

ted putnam
08-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Quick question.
I was told Trimec you needed a license to obtain did I get correct info?

Over a certain quantity(I think a quart or a gallon) It becomes an RUP(Restricted Use Pesticide)

betmr
08-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Momentum Fx2 is very good. Will easily take care of clover. If you want fast knockdown mix it with Octane. Just make sure you apply it at the correct rate.

I have not mixed different chems together before, and have not noticed, in the past, if the label's give proportion amounts for this. I have seen, on the label, how to test compatibility. Would it be like mixing each chem individually, in the same amount of water? (If you know what I mean) For example: if each Label says add one Oz. of chem, to 10 Gal. of water, would I add one Oz. of each Chem. to 10 Gal. of water? is that how it works?

FdLLawnMan
08-20-2009, 12:41 PM
I have not mixed different chems together before, and have not noticed, in the past, if the label's give proportion amounts for this. I have seen, on the label, how to test compatibility. Would it be like mixing each chem individually, in the same amount of water? (If you know what I mean) For example: if each Label says add one Oz. of chem, to 10 Gal. of water, would I add one Oz. of each Chem. to 10 Gal. of water? is that how it works?

No, whatever amount of Momentum you have mixed just add the Octane to it. 1.5 oz's of Octane is enough for an acre.

betmr
08-20-2009, 01:16 PM
No, whatever amount of Momentum you have mixed just add the Octane to it. 1.5 oz's of Octane is enough for an acre.

Thanx for all the help FD. I guess I'll have to get out my Slide Rule, and figure all that out. All this math is not easy. I wish there were an easier way.

betmr
08-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Now, FD, that I have your attention, what do you know about treating a MASSIVE OUTBREAK of Bag Worms ?

kirk1701
08-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Over a certain quantity(I think a quart or a gallon) It becomes an RUP(Restricted Use Pesticide)

Continue here (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=3150730#post3150730).

phasthound
08-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Now, FD, that I have your attention, what do you know about treating a MASSIVE OUTBREAK of Bag Worms ?

This late in the year control is difficult because the adult is well protected within its "bag" so contact sprays are ineffective. Also, they may not be actively feeding anymore so stomach insecticides may not work.

If the out break is severe on evergreens, they may die or never return to their former beauty. Deciduous plants usually recover next year.

Bagworms are easily controlled when they are young. Next year scout for them beginning in late June. An application on Bt is very effective at that time. As they get older use Orthene, Talstar, Tempo, Mavrik or other products.

Preventing an outbreak is easy if you know what to look for. Applying pesticides when it is too late is a waist of money and is harsh on the environment. It also reflect poorly on one's skills.

Rutgers offers some good classes during the off season.

FdLLawnMan
08-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Other than his "Harsh on the environment" statement I pretty much agree with everythin Phasthound said.

betmr
08-21-2009, 07:08 AM
I can't understand how they have gotten so spread out, 'cause they only crawl except the males. but they are all over the place, destroying whole plantings that are very far apart. The worst spot now is a windbreak of Arborvitae's, starting in the middle & moving left & right, about 8 trees are totally browned out. Are they gone, or might they come back next year?

FdLLawnMan
08-21-2009, 08:49 AM
I can't understand how they have gotten so spread out, 'cause they only crawl except the males. but they are all over the place, destroying whole plantings that are very far apart. The worst spot now is a windbreak of Arborvitae's, starting in the middle & moving left & right, about 8 trees are totally browned out. Are they gone, or might they come back next year?

I don't know as I am not an expert on shrubs. Ask your local extension office if you have one. I would hope they would know.

upidstay
08-24-2009, 08:35 AM
I like Momentum FX2 for my broadleafs, and Drive or Accalim for my crab grass. Q4 is a good all in one product. It's pricey, but very convenient.

As far as Bag worms go, we used to just snip off the bags and burn them. Spray them in the spring, whenever they're at crawler stage in your area. Contact your extension service and ask them for correct timing.

betmr
08-24-2009, 07:13 PM
I like Momentum FX2 for my broadleafs, and Drive or Accalim for my crab grass. Q4 is a good all in one product. It's pricey, but very convenient.

As far as Bag worms go, we used to just snip off the bags and burn them. Spray them in the spring, whenever they're at crawler stage in your area. Contact your extension service and ask them for correct timing.

Thanx for the reply, I'm going to give the Momentum FX2 a try. Hopefully a Pre-Em next spring will do for the Crab Grass. I'm going to try JD's Prosecutor Pro Max to replace Round-Up Pro. I guess the Bag Worms will have to wait 'till spring, as they're too high up and way too many to pick off. Any Advice on what to use, come spring ?

This place has gone to pot, since they would'nt let me spray anything this year & the Grounds Budget is taking a huge hit. Every time a secretary sees me with a sprayer, they call Operations complaining of a headache or something, They get an INSTANT day off (and don't get charged a sick day), if you know what I mean. Now they are all calling, complaining about weeds, and dead Arborvitae's. You can't imagine the stuff we go through. It's like "They want the grass mowed...But they don't want you mowing it." you know what I mean ? I'm ashamed at how bad this place looks, but I'm at the mercy of a bunch of secretaries. One day they will decide to bar-b-que out on a lawn for lunch, when they are finished, they dump the coals & ashes right there on the grass. Same with left over party ice, not in the sink...out on the lawn. And I got a Housekeeper that has started dumping something all over the lawns. So far 4 huge dead spots, right outside doorways. Looks like someone dumped Round-Up out there.

Had to vent, Thanx for listening.