PDA

View Full Version : Expending With Tree Injections?

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-19-2009, 11:35 AM
As the economy has brought me to that old adage "innovate or die", I am considering doing tree injections.

We have copious amounts of bores in our trees here, and heavy chlorosis issues.

So my questions are these:

* Who is currently offering this service?
* Are you making money off it?
* Where to start?

Also, if you're of the soil-injection fan club, why?

Thanks guys.

Az Gardener
08-19-2009, 11:46 AM
I know the guys that do the deep root feeding here make a mint. I have used the Mauget tree injectors and they do wonders for palms. Very simple to use on palms as you don't have to hit a cambium layer.

Runner
08-19-2009, 12:39 PM
I have looked into the Arborjet system and have considered it. There is an initial cost, but would probably quickly pay for itself. I would think that you could make a bunch just from imidicloprid, itself. I know it sure pays for foliar feed.

Florida Gardener
08-19-2009, 12:46 PM
I just started doing "palm drenchings" for palms that need more than the granular slow release fert. that are highly lacking iron,manganese, and magnesium.I charge a minimum of $30/tree for a tree that is 15 ft. or more, and $25/tree for 15 ft. or less. If the palm is highly lacking, I usually charge and extra $5 or $10/tree. In my opinion, it is a great upsell and shows the customer that you know more than the average "yard guy" and really care about getting their property in its best shape......

I know you don't have palm trees where you live, but why not add it as a service???

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-19-2009, 12:49 PM
Sweet. Now I just need to find customers with palm trees that grow at 4,600 ASL. :waving:

Florida Gardener
08-19-2009, 12:53 PM
^lol....i meant tree injections(not palms)......

phasthound
08-19-2009, 02:57 PM
As the economy has brought me to that old adage "innovate or die", I am considering doing tree injections.

We have copious amounts of bores in our trees here, and heavy chlorosis issues.

So my questions are these:

* Who is currently offering this service?
* Are you making money off it?
* Where to start?

Also, if you're of the soil-injection fan club, why?

Thanks guys.

We do a lot of soil drenching with bioloigally active products for maintaining the health of trees & shrubs. It's very profitable and provides good results.

For 20 years, I used synthetic ferts and "deep root fed". Getting better results now. During that time, I also treated 1,000's of trees annually for borers with pesticides. I can tell you that you will make money doing that until the tree dies, and it will because borers are there to finish off declining trees. An exception is invasive species of borers, then it may be effective and ethical to provide prophylactic treatment.

FdLLawnMan
08-19-2009, 05:39 PM
I used the Arborjet gun this year for the first time due to EAB coming and iron chlorosis on some trees. Very easy to use and the results have been positive. I bought the starter kit which is enough for me this year.
In my opinion and that of the university from my state deep root feeding is not recommended. Plant the tree correctly and put a good mulch over the roots and you are good to go is what they say. Deep root feeding in a misnomer anyway. The feeder roots are only 12 inches down anyway.

Florida Gardener
08-19-2009, 05:54 PM
As far as palms go here in Florida with our sandy soil, you can plant them correctly and mulch all you want, if the palm isn't getting the nutrients it needs and the slow release granular isn't enough, it needs the liquid drenching. It's not an actual fertilizer, just higher counts of iron, magnesium, manganese, and sulfur, which are the main nutrients that palms lack. I just did this for a new customer who has two Queen Palms about 3 ft. from each other. The one is completely healthy with perfect foliage. The other is shooting out stubs, frizzled and necrotic. It's amazing. Just met with a new potential client last night with the same problem on some Foxtails. The one on the right is perfect, the one on the left looks like hell.

Az Gardener
08-19-2009, 06:11 PM
As far as palms go here in Florida with our sandy soil, you can plant them correctly and mulch all you want, if the palm isn't getting the nutrients it needs and the slow release granular isn't enough, it needs the liquid drenching. It's not an actual fertilizer, just higher counts of iron, magnesium, manganese, and sulfur, which are the main nutrients that palms lack. I just did this for a new customer who has two Queen Palms about 3 ft. from each other. The one is completely healthy with perfect foliage. The other is shooting out stubs, frizzled and necrotic. It's amazing. Just met with a new potential client last night with the same problem on some Foxtails. The one on the right is perfect, the one on the left looks like hell.

try the Mauget injectors, very simple and a minimum of a years worth of nutrients at least for here, sometimes longer.

Florida Gardener
08-19-2009, 06:48 PM
^Az, what kind of soils are you guys dealing with over there?? You guys can grow a lot of palms out there, right?

Think Green
08-19-2009, 07:57 PM
WhoopAss,
There are more adequate less damaging systems than the Mauget. We used and purchased the Mauget macro and micro sytems until the cost was immeasurable.
Damages to tree tissue is one issue to consider. The other problems for us was, all customers would wait until the trees were 75% dieing and wanted them treated for borer's and or phytothora, etc. Either way, the trees are going to die by that time.
I strongly advise you to take the home study course and learn the differences of tree tissues. Just to get this license and go out throwing chemicals into trees is not as easy as it looks. Killing and controlling insects and diseases of trees is like killing weeds. You have to know the vector--its life cycle and its causes. Then can you begin to treat the symptoms. Deep root injection using innoculants and mychorrizae is a good thing under the right soil conditions. I have argued the state and the local guru's on trying to force nature on total clay soils..............it isn't going to work!!!!!!
Either way, it is a money maker in some markets,,,,,,,,,,for us, it fell like the Hindenberg!!
To the ground and with a fire ball!!!!!

phasthound
08-19-2009, 08:06 PM
WhoopAss,
There are more adequate less damaging systems than the Mauget. We used and purchased the Mauget macro and micro sytems until the cost was immeasurable.
Damages to tree tissue is one issue to consider. The other problems for us was, all customers would wait until the trees were 75% dieing and wanted them treated for borer's and or phytothora, etc. Either way, the trees are going to die by that time.
I strongly advise you to take the home study course and learn the differences of tree tissues. Just to get this license and go out throwing chemicals into trees is not as easy as it looks. Killing and controlling insects and diseases of trees is like killing weeds. You have to know the vector--its life cycle and its causes. Then can you begin to treat the symptoms. Deep root injection using innoculants and mychorrizae is a good thing under the right soil conditions. I have argued the state and the local guru's on trying to force nature on total clay soils..............it isn't going to work!!!!!!
Either way, it is a money maker in some markets,,,,,,,,,,for us, it fell like the Hindenberg!!
To the ground and with a fire ball!!!!!

Excellent post!
For long term success in plant health care and as a business use methods that produce long term results. And let your clients know the truth about when it's time to give up on a dieing plant & replace it with the proper plant in the proper place, planted correctly. This will do wonders for your reputation as an ethical businessperson.

Slyder777
08-19-2009, 08:38 PM
We use both Mauget and deep root. I actually do deep root injections for a local arborist who doesn't want the hassle of the equipment. He performs diagnosis and sends me to treat. Works out nice.

Mauget is awesome. Take the class if possible. (one day I think) Easy to use and effective.

Yes it is a good add on for extra income.

Good Luck

Shawn
Greenbelt Lawn and Weed

rcreech
08-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Started doing tree injections last year and I use the Arborjet Quik Jet.

It is a serious money maker!

I use TreAge and I am currently upselling EAB like crazy!

People do not want to lose their 20-100 year old trees so they are pretty much forced to apply or watch them die.

If the trees are young I recommend getting rid of it and planting something else.

Pretty high cost to start out...but no different then buying a ride on sprayer, aerator or anything else.

tlg
08-20-2009, 09:20 AM
I have been using the Wedgle Direct Inject system from Arborsytems for about 5 years now. It allows you to inject the tree without drilling, it's very fast and the results have been outstanding. Especially for treating Ash trees for EAB.