PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone in the northeast delaying thier fall seeding this year?

suzook
08-19-2009, 12:01 PM
I usually start killing weeds/undesirable grass about this time, then start seeding in 2 weeks. I am a little concerned about this wacky summer we have had so far. I am thinking we might have some hot temps in sept. I am thinking about delaying my seeding 2-3 weeks this year. Anyone else thinking about this? Just looking for some other opinions.

bx24
08-19-2009, 04:03 PM
I usually do not reseed till around Sept 10 to 15..AKA The Big E time.

mdlwn1
08-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Your late on the weed control...lol and too early on the seeding. Then again this IS long island....the bar here is low.

suzook
08-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Your late on the weed control...lol and too early on the seeding. Then again this IS long island....the bar here is low.

I have new customers with weeds, thats why i will be eliminating the weeds. Sept 1st too early???????? I have always had good results with sept 1st.

suzook
09-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Just an update on the new customers. I stuck to my original plan. I killed the weeds the 3rd week in august, reseeded a week ago, and my new customers are impressed. The seed came up beuatifuly. The weather has been perfect, some more rain would have helped, but i set up the customers irragation to water 3 times a day for 8 min ea time. Looks like i have new customers for next year.

jfoxtrot9
09-09-2009, 05:14 PM
I have new customers with weeds, thats why i will be eliminating the weeds. Sept 1st too early???????? I have always had good results with sept 1st.

The only downfall to this site sometimes is certain people like to "lol" all the time because everyone is so inexperienced while certain others are sooooooo full of experience and wisdom.

Really, just ask 'em!!

They will tell you. Some people have magical aerators and everything!:)

Congrats on your success thus far. I usually start my over-seeding in the next week or so.

phasthound
09-09-2009, 05:59 PM
As far as seeding goes, I think Aug 15 to Sept 30 give the best results here.
That being said, usually it's too hot for me to aerate, slit seed & top dress in Aug. This year is different.

jbturf
09-09-2009, 07:00 PM
its been dry here
im waiting for some rain to soften the ground up a little
then ill start my aerations and a few seed jobs