PDA

View Full Version : stabalzing joint material (flagstone)

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
08-19-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm doing a permeable flagstone patio and using granite chips for the joints. What do you think will help keep the chips in the joints? I'm looking at mixing sand with the chips and cleaning the excess sand off in addition to watering the chips to help draw them down in the joints.

Krafty
08-19-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm doing a permeable flagstone patio and using granite chips for the joints. What do you think will help keep the chips in the joints? I'm looking at mixing sand with the chips and cleaning the excess sand off in addition to watering the chips to help draw them down in the joints.

I know techni seal has a new product out for flagstone it says it can make up to a 4" joint. Im just not sure how permeable it is or how it would work with the granite chips.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
08-19-2009, 02:49 PM
I know techni seal has a new product out for flagstone it says it can make up to a 4" joint. Im just not sure how permeable it is or how it would work with the granite chips.

Yep, poly sand might be the next alternative. Alliance makes the same poly sand for flag that is called "Gator Dust" but the permeability will be lost.

Krafty
08-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Yep, poly sand might be the next alternative. Alliance makes the same poly sand for flag that is called "Gator Dust" but the permeability will be lost.

I'm not familiar with the Alliance. And it escapes me right now what the exact name of it is. I saw it at the St. Louis Hardscape Show this spring. It was basically a polymeric sand with some bigger chuncks in it. I know they will take some water through them but I am not sure as to how much.

JimLewis
08-21-2009, 06:43 PM
For years, the big two companies making polymeric crushed stone products (not to be confused with polymeric sand) were EnviroStone (their polymeric crushed stone product was called 'EnviroStone') and Alliance (their product is called Gator Dust).

I've got extensive experience with both and I'll summarize it real quickly.

EnviroStone BAD
Gator Dust GOOD

http://www.gatordustbond.com/

That's all you need to know. Don't put anything in the joints. Just leave the joints of the flagstone open and use this product to completely fill the joints. You might have to call half a dozen rock yards in your area to see who carries Gator Dust. But that's what you need to use.

You would never want to use Polymeric sand for flagstone. It is meant only for really tight joints like pavers. Use the Gator Dust or you won't be happy with the results otherwise.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
08-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks, but GD is out since this is a permeable job. If I use any sand at all it will be just a dusting of natural sand to help lock in the chips until they settle in joints.

JimLewis
08-22-2009, 12:54 AM
Gotcha. Yah, not a good application for it.

EnviroStone is a "little" permeable. But you have to replenish it every year or so.

I don't know what else is going to really stabilize the joints AND be totally permeable. I am not sure that sand does that. I think that just makes it more prone to getting messy.