PDA

View Full Version : Rental equipment

z71tiger
08-19-2009, 04:38 PM
When you rent equipment do you just bill the customer for the cost or do you add a little something for yourself?
Posted via Mobile Device

1993lx172
08-19-2009, 05:28 PM
I bill for the cost + labor for the job. Last year I rented a sod cutter to put in some new beds and I charged the cost of the rental as well as my labor. Just tacking on a little bit to the price for no good reason is in my opinion unethical.

Tq23
08-19-2009, 05:47 PM
When i rent equipment, i charge for the rental plus the labor to pick up and drop off the equipment.

Think Green
08-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Unethical??????
You are telling me that a painter buys a 5 gallon container of paint, charges you to paint a house, and only expects for his labor??? UUUUUHHH!! O.K.!!
Labor is above the costs associated with the job. The supplies is the only real commodity that you can figure in a % of profit.
Do you think Wal-Mart is buying M&M's for .65 cents a bag and charging us .65 to pay for the labor of the employees.???

When we rent a piece of equipment, a surcharge is imposed for delivery and return as well as cleaning. You are being nickel and dimed from the rental places on a piece of equipment. Why not charge a % of profit for your trouble--wear and tear?
On the commercial level, a forklift for instance may be charged at 100.00 per hour to sit and run on a jobsite.
The fuel is included.................so do you charge less for this??

1993lx172
08-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Unethical??????
You are telling me that a painter buys a 5 gallon container of paint, charges you to paint a house, and only expects for his labor??? UUUUUHHH!! O.K.!!
Labor is above the costs associated with the job. The supplies is the only real commodity that you can figure in a % of profit.
Do you think Wal-Mart is buying M&M's for .65 cents a bag and charging us .65 to pay for the labor of the employees.???

When we rent a piece of equipment, a surcharge is imposed for delivery and return as well as cleaning. You are being nickel and dimed from the rental places on a piece of equipment. Why not charge a % of profit for your trouble--wear and tear?
On the commercial level, a forklift for instance may be charged at 100.00 per hour to sit and run on a jobsite.
The fuel is included.................so do you charge less for this??

I said that just adding a little bit for no good reason is unethical. You should charge enough that all expenses for the job are covered + the amount you take in as profit. Adding anything else above this amount without a good reason is unethical. Say you charge $500 for a job. Of that $300 is taken up by expenses and the remaining 200 is your proffit. Adding another $200 or so just because is what I'm talking about. But I understand where your coming from.

When I rent a piece of equipment for a job I charge the client the price of the rental (all fees concerning the rental like fuel, cleaning, and so on are included in this) + my labor for the job. Included in that is the work I did (which covers wear and tear on my equipment and my time) + my time and gas to go pick up the unit and return the unit. I include all of this in my labor charge, so if this caused any confusion I apologize, I admit I didn't explain it they way I did above in my post.

borwicks
08-22-2009, 02:33 PM
I bill for the cost + labor for the job. Last year I rented a sod cutter to put in some new beds and I charged the cost of the rental as well as my labor. Just tacking on a little bit to the price for no good reason is in my opinion unethical.

I do the same plus i will charge for the time to pick up, drop off, fuel and clean as well.

justanotherlawnguy
09-14-2009, 09:40 PM
I said that just adding a little bit for no good reason is unethical.

I almost always add a little, example:
If I go do a landscaping estimate and it comes out to be $400, then I will tell the customer that it will cost say $475. If they wanna haggle, then I can back of up to $75 and still be at my original price, if they dont haggle, then I just made an extra $75.

Everybody wants to feel like they are getting "a good deal", so if they haggle off a few bucks from my original price they BELIEVE they are getting a good deal, and I am still at or above my original estimate...

I went and got an alignment and tire repair this weekend and the shop added a shop fee, which is complete garbage, but I certainly did not complain about it. At least they are obligated to tell you about it up front, Very few customers ever ask me to break down a quote for them.....