PDA

View Full Version : advertising flyers......

Bryan B
08-19-2009, 08:03 PM
so i have got my plan together and done a TON of reading in the past week on this site. one thing i didn't find a bunch about was the best way or method to passing out flyers. i have just order them along with my business cards have 2 weeks (give or take) till they get here and i start passing them out. my question is whats the best method? i have thought of folding them and placing them on the mailbox flag. putting them in a ziploc with a rock and throwing them in driveways or should i do it the good ol door to door and make the face to face contact?

i figure if i do the door to door i'd try to make things as quick as possible without being rude. not sure what to say guess i'll hafta think of that soon!

also whats the best way to refresh my used equipment? spark plugs,air filter and change oil in mower?

Thanks,
Bryan B.

openbook
08-19-2009, 08:10 PM
The mower maintenance all sounds good, you might even want to get the blade sharpened too.
For passing out flyers I stick them in the crack of the door. Door hanger flyers would be the best though. If someone happens to be home you can talk to them. I personally don't like it when someone knocks on my door, my dog usually goes ballistic for one.

Bryan B
08-19-2009, 08:18 PM
that's my thing with the door to door deal.some might like it and some might hate it. i just bought a new blade for the mower and i only cut my yard about 5 times with it. 26" walk behind

vanncann
08-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Did the door hangers over the last 3 or 4 years (in the spring) might pickup 1 or 2 out of 500 and they don't usually last for the hole season. Will try again and hope for a better turn out.

milkandhoney
08-20-2009, 03:44 PM
You cannot place them on the mailbox flag. For some reason, people have the misconception that it's okay to put them outside or on the mailbox as long as you don't put anything in them. But it is still illegal and you can be fined up to $300 for each flyer you put out!

According to USPS.com, "no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle."

Bryan B
08-20-2009, 03:47 PM
wow! thats nice to know. i knew i couldn't open it didnt know i couldnt put it in the flag. thanks for the tip!

White Gardens
08-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Over the last two years I've gotten 1 job/account per 100 fliers done.

Whatever you do, don't limit yourself to particular areas that you feel are more "upscale" and will pay better. I've received some of my better customers from middle income areas of the community.

vanncann
08-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Also around here you have got to have a background investigation to do the door hangers. Only cost $3 and is a requirement for the city. So check on that also.

Sean Adams
08-20-2009, 04:14 PM
I understand that flyers are a very inexpensive form of promotion - especially starting out, and especially with a small budget. Make sure you incorporate as many methods of advertising and promotion that you can afford. Word of mouth is very powerful and in this day and age of technology, email and text messaging and facebook are excellent ways to spread the word.

If flyers are something you are going to do for sure, I always advise people to do something somehow that will stand out and get the attention of the people receiving the flyer - afterall, they get flyers from plenty of landscapers, and roofers, and driveway sealers, and the list goes on.... Even if it means bright yellow paper, stand out.

There are a lot of ways to promote and spread the word and pick up more work than you could ever handle, and inexpensive or free on top of that. Be creative.

Bryan B
08-20-2009, 10:01 PM
The flyers are just my first idea figured i'd spread them in areas close to where i live. i ordered 500 for now spent a lil more money and got them in full color so far everyone i have showen has liked them(how ever they are friends and family so who knows) i also have 500 business cards and plan to put an add up on craigslist as soon as i am fully ready to get started (1 or 2 weeks) if i can get 5 or more yards out of this by the end of the season i will be happy. the fall/winter should give me more time to get some extra advertising and hopefully plenty word of mouth threw all my friends and fam.

Thanks,
Bryan B.

tinman
08-22-2009, 08:36 PM
just drop at front door. 2% response rate is consistent but sux really. How bout dropping a calendar with your card off so they have something to keep year long instead of trashing your flyer if they dont need you immediately. or a rain gauge with card inside

mowerbrad
08-22-2009, 11:40 PM
When I do flyers I do them in black and white on colored paper. It might be that I'm just too cheap to do them in color but the colored paper adds a nice touch. It makes the flyers stand out. I usually use a lime green. But now that I'm really thinking about it a bright pink (yes pink) would really stand out. Think, how many hot pink flyers do you get? Answer: not many if at all.

As far as passing them out, just put them in the newspaper boxes. Get a friend or family member to ride with you in the truck and put the flyers in the boxes while you just drive, it is really quite efficient.

Bryan B
08-23-2009, 04:08 PM
i figure i'll have my wife drive the truck and i'll go put them at the front door. if i see anyone outside i'll stop and talk for a sec but i have 3 hours to pass them out while my son it at pre k from 9-12. being monday i don't think i'll see many people outside.