PDA

View Full Version : Permagreen Ultra tranny leak

RigglePLC
08-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Yep. Runs fine, but tranny oil all over my carrier. I suspect the almuminum transaxle case had corroded until a hole developed. Aluminum, fertilizer and high humidity--yuck.

Any advice on how to correct this situation? I think I heard someone on here say you could buy just the outer case if the gears themselves were OK.

If I can find a jack to lift it. I am planning to remove the four bolts that hold the transaxle and remove it to check to see where any leak might be--and possible seal it with epoxy or something. Or is there a seal around the axle that is more likely leaking? I understand a new transaxle is about $649.

Runner
08-20-2009, 06:07 AM
Where it is leaking is probably right out the case toward the end of the axle. This is where they corrode through first. It was me that had the info on getting the cases, I believe. I'll see if I can find it, or perhaps you can do a search using words PG, tranny, case, and under my name.

grass4gas
08-20-2009, 04:52 PM
I have the same problem, although mine is a centri. I am guessing they are the same transaxle.

amerigreen
08-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Sorry to here about the leak. In our experience when it starts leaking you have about 25 to 50 hours and then its shot. We have tried just about everything including a new case. Did not work, finally got the case together and leak leak leak was a waste of time and money. Thought of drilling a hole in the top to add fluid so it would not dry out to get a couple more hours out of it. Let me know if you try something and it works as we go though two of these a year.

jbturf
08-20-2009, 09:07 PM
thought these peerless trans were just packed with grease at the factory

anyway, any one know what model # it is?

Runner
08-20-2009, 10:17 PM
No grease. Just fluid. We DO have the ultimate resolve to this, after many trials and attempts. This is after finding that even the Line-X coating had limited results.
If you guys start being nice to me and start treating me like one of the gang, and let me hang out a little, I may even share it with you. :)

RigglePLC
08-20-2009, 10:41 PM
There is a rubber plug in front about 2 inches to the left of the shifter shaft. Pull the plastic back (if any). And grab the plug with pliers and pull it out. According to Pat at Permagreen you should have about a quarter inch of oil in there if you use a dipstick. I added 90w tranny oil. Cheap fix. But it is leaking worse in the last week or two. Use a screwdriver to push the rubber plug back in.

Peerless site has a picture of the tranny--BUT--there are about a hundred different types--and they all look the same. Used on most garden tractors.

indyturf
08-21-2009, 02:24 AM
No grease. Just fluid. We DO have the ultimate resolve to this, after many trials and attempts. This is after finding that even the Line-X coating had limited results.
If you guys start being nice to me and start treating me like one of the gang, and let me hang out a little, I may even share it with you. :)

LOL Joe!!
I will be your friend.:laugh:

RigglePLC
08-23-2009, 10:23 PM
I took the leaking transaxle out of my Permagreen Ultra today. 8 wheel bolts, (13/16ths). 7 tranny bolts--all half inch. There was an amazing amount of corrosion where the fert particles had collected in crevices formed by the cooling fins on top of the tranny near the ends of the axle. I cleaned it off and found two small holes . Patched them with quick dry epoxy repair putty. Stood it on end to reassemble. Flooded because I forgot to shut off the fuel valve. Finally started and seemed to run OK. Wanna see the pics?

Laner
08-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Pics would be great if you have them. Just in case I run into this in the future with my PG Magnum.....are they the same axle? Can't believe how difficult it is to get all particles of fert off/out of machine when done for the day....using compressed air and then WD40 on everything except brake bands! Still see some rust spots starting.

LushGreenLawn
08-24-2009, 07:03 AM

Alright, we all like you.... Whats the secret?:clapping:

RigglePLC
08-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Laner. Not the same tranny as in the Magnum. I found a number on the case "6292-P1", for the Ultra transaxle. Model about 2003. It is made by Peerless which I guess is a part of Tecumseh.
Here are a couple pics --I think. pics worked.
In the second pic you can see a tiny black spot. It is actually a hole through the aluminum. Oddly enough, the opposite end of the axle was the leaking point--another--less visible, but highly leaky hole was near the left wheel. I patched both with epoxy plumber's putty. I will put a few more pics and my rainbow pic on my personal page; click my name.

RigglePLC
08-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Whoops. It looks like Tecumseh company has shut down. The Peerless Division was sold to Husqvarna. Sad.
http://www.tecumsehpower.com/news/Peerless_External_Announcement.pdf

Runner
08-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Ok. Sorry, I meant to get on here sooner to explain. A friend of mine took 3 of these transmissions (2 to be used and a 3rd as a spare) in to be sprayed with a bedliner material. These places do many agricultural parts - which I never knew until talking to the line-X rep. Anyway, two of the trannies he did previously held up well, but started chipping and cracking (then corroding) right where the hub assembly meets the case. (He had already bought and swapped a new case on two of the trannies). Anyway, all the rest of the bedliner material held up well and did great. It was just where the moving parts of the axles where that the chipping started. So,...here's what he did. The idea was so simple, that it was almost ridiculous...but I assure you....it is the final answer...the last one you'll ever have to do. Once the housing is cleaned, prepped and coated with the bedliner, before it is assembled with the axle hub ends, he bought some rubber safety cones - just short ones. He cut the top lengths of these off to length, and trimmed the small end tip just big enough to squeeze over the end. He heated the the small end a bit, and the large end was rolled outward, as the cone was slid up over each end. Hose clamps of proportional sizes were placed over the ends and tightened. On the small end of the cone, the end actually is a bit longer, so the extends out over the rotating axle a bit, but is still snug around the shaft. the clamps were replaced with U-bolt clamps that wet all the way around the cone. It's an excellent setup, and provides a sure and durable seal around thee areas of vulnerability.

jbturf
08-25-2009, 07:31 AM
Riggle , your mounting flanges look like
there mostly rotted away-- be carefull!

when i replaced the original tranny in my ultra,
i took the back two bolts out then started on the
axle bolts-- the 1st turn of the 1st axle bolt and the whole
tranny just fell right out, the case just fell to pieces and a
powdery dusty mess