PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

08-19-2009, 11:59 PM
And how is it taken care of? Thanks in advance.

DiyDave
08-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Warm season annual grass, most likely crabgrass, best thing to do with it is to let the frost kill it, aerate and overseed rather than spray it out, as spray labels may say to wait on seeding if you spray.

Smallaxe
08-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Start overseeding the area with the CG and let its dead bodies, serve as seed cover for the fall. Overseed again in the spring, and pre-m, if you like, after germination of the new good grass.

08-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the information. My plan was to kill it off with either weed killer or weed/lawn killer, aerate, overseed. There is too much for me to go through and remove by hand.

From what I understand, you would suggest just aerating over the existing lawn without any applications and then overseeding? What would be the best time to complete this aeration and overseeding (if I understand you correctly) for a lawn in northeast Ohio?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Kiril
08-20-2009, 11:25 AM
And how is it taken care of? Thanks in advance.

Looks like barnyard grass to me.

08-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Looks like barnyard grass to me.

Thanks for the information. Any ideas on how to take care of it?

I want to aerate and overseed my lawn within the next week of so (northeast Ohio) and am not sure if I can just go over all of this, kill it all, or have to remove by hand.

Thanks again.

Kiril
08-20-2009, 02:24 PM
In that time frame, digging it out is your only option.

08-20-2009, 02:39 PM
In that time frame, digging it out is your only option.

Would you suggest another method that would be better? I don't have to aerate and overseed next week, just didn't want to get too late into September. Is the barnyard grass something that would need a lawn killer applied?

I have the Round Up Weed and Grass Killer Super Concentrate that I have been told can be planted on after 7 days?

Seems the weed and grass killer would be a better method (easier) as I have a substantial area to manually remove.

Thanks again.

Stillwater
08-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Nothing can be done,,, Ya right....Spray with Drive75 and over seed if needed................

jfoxtrot9
08-20-2009, 05:48 PM
I'm in NE Ohio.

It is crabgrass. At this point, if you have alot of it, you may want to forget about spraying it. If you don't mind killing it and everything else around it, use something like Roundup. (really not recomended) It will probably cost more than you want to pay to eliminate it. (using something like Drive). Weed killer won't hurt it. Decide if either of these two options is what you want to do.

For the most part, this is something you want to prevent early in the season with a pre-emergent. Once it has a foothold in the lawn, start planning for next year.

This year, advice given thus far is your best option. Aerate and overseed, but it is too early yet around here. We still have some summer to go! I usually start aerating around mid-late Sept when the nights are becoming consistently cooler. This is when I will overseed and apply a starter fertilizer over the yard and let 'er rock!

Good luck.

Jeff

08-20-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm in NE Ohio.

It is crabgrass. At this point, if you have alot of it, you may want to forget about spraying it. If you don't mind killing it and everything else around it, use something like Roundup. (really not recomended) It will probably cost more than you want to pay to eliminate it. (using something like Drive). Weed killer won't hurt it. Decide if either of these two options is what you want to do.

For the most part, this is something you want to prevent early in the season with a pre-emergent. Once it has a foothold in the lawn, start planning for next year.

This year, advice given thus far is your best option. Aerate and overseed, but it is too early yet around here. We still have some summer to go! I usually start aerating around mid-late Sept when the nights are becoming consistently cooler. This is when I will overseed and apply a starter fertilizer over the yard and let 'er rock!

Good luck.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Is barnyard grass a type of crabgrass? Because the pictures/descriptions online I found for barnyard grass are almost exact to what I have in my yard.

If I understand you correctly, you would just aerate and overseed in mid-late September without killing it off or removing by hand? Just run the aerator over everything, overseed, and feed with starter fertilizer????

Related to this is snow mold that killed off a large area of the lawn providing area for this crabgrass to set in. Does this snow mold problem needed to be addressed with anything or can I just aerate, overseed, apply correct amount of fertilizer and go from there?

Thanks again for you assistance.

Kiril
08-20-2009, 06:37 PM
http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/images/Pests/Pest903.jpg

http://www.hort.iastate.edu/courses/syllabi/hort351l/weeds/barnyardgrass.jpg

08-20-2009, 06:52 PM
http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/images/Pests/Pest903.jpg

http://www.hort.iastate.edu/courses/syllabi/hort351l/weeds/barnyardgrass.jpg

These are the exact photos I found and the ones that look exactly like my lawn. Would just aerate over them and overseed or would you kill off with roundup, wait and then aerate and overseed?

Thanks again for identifying this pain in my ass.

DiyDave
08-20-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm in NE Ohio.

Good luck.

Jeff
Barnyard grass, crab grass, fall pannicum, all have one thing in common, they are warm season annuals, that die with a killing frost sometime in late Sept or early Oct, in your area. Don't need to kill them, just follow Jeff's advice, I assume he is nearer to your area than I am, and thus more knowledgeable of local seeding times, and the local expected frost dates. Aerate, seed, keep mowing regularly, with sharp blades, at recommended height for the grass you are trying to seed. That and water in seeded areas is the best advice.:waving:

bigslick7878
08-20-2009, 10:02 PM
As the above poster said, way to early to aerate/overseed.

What is the rush?

blazemaeko
08-21-2009, 12:24 AM
With the crabgrass in full swing now, how many are bagging clippings where its heavy just to try to minimize cg for next year? Picked up a few new lawns this year and now I know what I'm in for next year, ie the problem areas. A few have the cg along the roadside and want to know what everyone else is doing about it.

thanks,
Rick

Stillwater
08-21-2009, 12:50 AM
spray drive when you see it

jfoxtrot9
08-21-2009, 01:33 AM
With the crabgrass in full swing now, how many are bagging clippings where its heavy just to try to minimize cg for next year? Picked up a few new lawns this year and now I know what I'm in for next year, ie the problem areas. A few have the cg along the roadside and want to know what everyone else is doing about it.

thanks,
Rick

I have a couple lawns with trouble areas along the roadside. I applied a second app of pre-emergent with success. (Usually for the 3rd application)

DiyDave
08-21-2009, 06:07 AM
There is enough cg seed stored in the soil to assure germination for the next thousand years or so. Bagging clippings will have statistically no effect on how much germinates next year. As to road edges, the reason you see cg there is that rainfall hits asphalt, splashes off, forms a micro-environment that favors germination of cg seed. higher dose of pre-emergent near asphalt would help, but never eliminates the problem. Cg is one of mother nature's best survivors!

08-21-2009, 07:52 AM
As the above poster said, way to early to aerate/overseed.

What is the rush?

The rush is/was that my lawn went from first to last, way last, in the neighborhood from snow mold and now from all of this barnyard grass that has filled in these areas. Just sick of looking at the mess that has become my once great yard. But, as smarter minds in this thread have suggested to wait I will definitely take professional advice and wait.

Regarding the snow mold, is there something that I should have applied now or before snow fall. Or, should I just practice proper fertilization this time around and not overfeed my lawn like I do my fat ass!!!

Thanks again to all who have provided assistance, much appreciated.

jfoxtrot9
08-21-2009, 08:32 AM
There is enough cg seed stored in the soil to assure germination for the next thousand years or so. Bagging clippings will have statistically no effect on how much germinates next year. As to road edges, the reason you see cg there is that rainfall hits asphalt, splashes off, forms a micro-environment that favors germination of cg seed. higher dose of pre-emergent near asphalt would help, but never eliminates the problem. Cg is one of mother nature's best survivors!

Amen bro':laugh:

When one of the worlds crazies finally drops a nuke, all that will be left is cockroaches and crabgrass!!!

jfoxtrot9
08-21-2009, 08:34 AM
The rush is/was that my lawn went from first to last, way last, in the neighborhood from snow mold and now from all of this barnyard grass that has filled in these areas. Just sick of looking at the mess that has become my once great yard. But, as smarter minds in this thread have suggested to wait I will definitely take professional advice and wait.

Regarding the snow mold, is there something that I should have applied now or before snow fall. Or, should I just practice proper fertilization this time around and not overfeed my lawn like I do my fat ass!!!

Thanks again to all who have provided assistance, much appreciated.

Feed according to bag directions, mow a little shorter your last couple mows of the season, in the early spring when you see the snow mold, go rake it out. No problems.

Smallaxe
08-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Too much fert and water up to the point of winter dormancy, along with high cut blades, is a big problem regarding snow mold.

I have 2 lawns that insist on overfert and over water contantly, and the snow mold was almost 90% on those lawns. Spring cleanup with a blower works wonders on eliminating the symptoms of snowmold immediately.

08-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Too much fert and water up to the point of winter dormancy, along with high cut blades, is a big problem regarding snow mold.

I have 2 lawns that insist on overfert and over water contantly, and the snow mold was almost 90% on those lawns. Spring cleanup with a blower works wonders on eliminating the symptoms of snowmold immediately.

My problem exactly with the fertilizer, WAY too much and WAY too often...lawn sure was green though for at least one summer....now not so much!!!!

Stillwater
08-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Professional advice hear is not to put off for another season, professional advice is to deal with it as you see it and when you see it.

Smallaxe
08-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Professional advice hear is not to put off for another season, professional advice is to deal with it as you see it and when you see it.

Got too much fert now? Deal with it now!! Lay off the fert for a while. :)
Aeration is good for fungal problems now - as long as - the holes aren't filled with water for the rest of the season. :laugh:

RigglePLC
08-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Barnyard grass--common in new seedings. Red color at base. It will die at frost and not return. The link:
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/ontweeds/barnyard_grass.htm

Be sure to seed with a top quality rye grass seed. Particularly one high-rated at a northern state University. The cheap seeds are disease prone. Try Derby Xtreme. Try Manhattan 4.

Smallaxe
08-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Use pre. rye grass as a filler, in the mix, if you want - but focussing on KBG and CR fescue makes the most desirable lawn. IMO.

Stillwater
08-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Got too much fert now? Deal with it now!! Lay off the fert for a while. :)
Aeration is good for fungal problems now - as long as - the holes aren't filled with water for the rest of the season. :laugh:

what the hell does this have to do with my post