PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running the Tekonsha P3 brake controller having problems?

4.3mudder
08-19-2009, 11:49 PM
SO, I got my trailer brakes hooked up like a few months ago and all was good. Then one day about 2 months ago I was coming to a stop and all of a sudden I get full 12.5 volts to the rear I was like wtf. I thought someone hit me from behind. I checked all connections and everything was fine. After that incident it was ok.

Well, about a month ago it start again, now it has gotten worse. Any random time you can be coming to a stop and it will get 12.5 volts to the rear. You can let off the brake and push again and it does it again. You come to the stop, get going again and come to another stop and it works fine. I have ran into sometimes the dam thing will say no trailer connected but it is connected. It really bugs the shi* out of me, today it actualy made the tires lockup, it has never done that before.

Any of you ever experience this? Or may know a solution? Thanks

South Florida Lawns
08-19-2009, 11:52 PM
I got the same controller and I have had similar problems, but they went away. I still think this controller is the best on the market.

4.3mudder
08-20-2009, 08:19 AM
I got the same controller and I have had similar problems, but they went away. I still think this controller is the best on the market.

What kind of problems were you having with it?

4.3mudder
09-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Still having issues. Anyone know what it may be

BigGreen1
09-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Nathan,

Have you gone through the setup procedure again?

Tim

4.3mudder
09-19-2009, 02:18 AM
Nathan,

Have you gone through the setup procedure again?

Tim

No, I don't think I know what the procedure setup is.

These are the problems that I am having.

"Short to battery"
"No trailer connected", both when the trailer is and is not connected
gets full voltage whatever I have it set at, but when I see that it is getting 6.5 volts, I don't feal anything.

This thing is really weird.

First, it would start off you connect it at the beggining of the day, go out and every once in a while when you needed to come to a stop, it would get full voltage whatever i have it set at to the rear wheels. So, if I have the controller set at 6.5, if I gently tap the brake to come to a stop, it will automatically go to 6.5. But, after you let off and come to the next time you need to use the brake it works fine. Almost like every 15th time you hit the brake it would jump to full voltage.

Then, sometimes it would not even work, you plug the harness in at the beggining of the day, and it would say "no trailer connected" for the first half of the day, then later on it would work fine.

Now, I don't even think it is working at all properly. Now it will say short to battery. lol, what a nightmare.

I don't know if it is the controller doing it, or my pigtail wiring on the truck near the back. I might have to take the connector off sometime and see if it is not getting good contact. All wiring is good on the trailer itself.

BigGreen1
09-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Nathan,

Maybe you could try a different trailer. You could focus your effort on the trailer or the wiring. I would consider talking to a place that sells trailers or a place that installs hitches in your area.

Tim

themowerman
09-23-2009, 10:12 AM
They had issues with the earlier units that were sold last year. Sometimes the push buttons would stick when you adjusted them and the unit would either go full brake or no brake at all. Call the mfg and they will make good by you. I had the problems and they replaced the unit last summer. I haven't had another issue since.

4.3mudder
09-23-2009, 02:20 PM
I bought the controller maybe 3 4 months ago.

Picard335
11-30-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm having the same issue with mine that I bought in Feb 09, just started a few monthes ago. Goes to full braking, no proportional. Glad I found this site, will call mfg. Hope they give me another one. No errors show up on screen.

towing: Dodge 3500 with 16ft flatbed, dual axle brakes.

Picard335
11-30-2009, 03:10 PM
I called the Tekonsha, i think there was some college kid newbie working, as he never heard of such a thing in the past and really didn't seem to take the time to discuss the problem. He just insisted I do a RMA and go from there to see if that fixes it. So now I have to wait for someone else to call me back and get the RMA process started, which will problably take a week for someone to call. pia. I'm ready to go back to my faithfull Prodigy and just buy a new one, get rid of this P3. The P3 needs a knob anyways, its a pain to adjust via the screen while driving.

highlander316
11-30-2009, 05:22 PM
i had a similar problem (more than once). One time it was the trailer plug end of the truck; the others it's been the wiring inside of the trailer plug coming apart.

ranger350
12-19-2009, 07:36 PM
I've had the problem as well, but hasn't happened in a long time. Otherwise the controller works sweet and looks fancy to !

tailboardtech
12-22-2009, 06:55 PM
i had problems with mine it was not putting out enough voltage then some times it would put out to much i do alot of installs and repairs on trailers, i ran the typical bench test check to see if its working properly and every thing would be fine put it on the truck it would screw up i finally i called tekonsha and sadly they told me they have problems they carry a lifetime warranty on them and he just out and out told me to keep replacing them until you get one that works :rolleyes:

i have warned customers that want them about them

after the 3rd one i got a good one

TF2
05-05-2010, 05:44 AM
Hi I have similar problems as the above people have.
Brakes going to full power sometimes and "output shorted" message comes up regularly when I apply the brakes.
I have done the following without any fixes to the problem.

1. Swapped to a new P3.

2.swapped to a new Carlisle(Hydrastar) 1200 psi unit(series 7).

3. Bypassed all of the wiring and ran a temporary cable from the P3 blue wire to the Carlisle brake unit blue wire.

4. Disconnected the wire from the cold side of the brake switch and picked up a supply from the plug at the rear of the vehicle.
Please let me know what you have done to fix your issues.