PDA

View Full Version : Yard Waste

Stack's
08-20-2009, 10:44 AM
I have recenlty started a lawn service and don't know where to dispose of yard waste. I do simple work right now like, mowing and hedge trimming. I work out of Waterbury,CT. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Bob_n_weave
08-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Leave all waste at the Customers house, they should have waste pick up once a week. I do not bag grass for anybody, I will double cut if necessary
(spring time)

david shumaker
08-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Our city trash dept. picks up yard waste, so I put it in their can. If it's alot, I put it in some of my cans and pick up the cans on next trip. Small stuff, I sometimes put in trash bags and leave for trash collector. You have to check with your city to see what they will pickup. Private trash collection companies may limit how much they will pick up.

Think Green
08-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Stack's,,
( Let me tell you this from our customers standpoint. Who in the hell wants to smell grass clippings in their trash can within a couple of days worth of heat.) If you plan on keeping a good customer, dont do this!!! Maybe a couple of sticks here and there won't matter or placing them in your own plastic bags may surpass the trash collector's from citing your customers for improper disposal. Some states impose trash separation. Find out!
Most cities will have a composting site or a facility designed for green waste disposal. You may need to purchase a permit to dump....I do!!!! This will lead to other things like tax's......some of these things that other lco's are hiding from ?? This needs to be the first things to look into before starting this type of business........the laws of the sanitation department's will be enforced. Each city or state ordinace will dictate where the trash needs to go.

Not all states and cities are anal about trash collection and disposal, so contact your area solid waste disposal authorities and ask them about their general dumping processes. If they tell you to put it on the curbs, or in the cans, so be it.....that is awesome. Around here, you will get a citation.!!!!! A permit is required to dispose and haul green waste to a land facility. Dumping on curbsides will cause lawn destruction by the collection teams, as most of them are underpaid idiots whom tear up turfgrass.!!! Then the customer is mad at you instead of them!!!
In over 18 years of service, we have made arrangements to not leave trimmings on the streets. It is totally unprofessional and looks like a dope head maintains their lawn.

This business starts with quality...........integrity, and a sharp eye for service!!!

Stack's
08-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I wasn't sure if leaving the yard watse at a customer house for trash pick up was unprofessional. I will contact the city for thier laws. Thanks again!!