PDA

View Full Version : Gravely 260Z bogging down.

klowe224
08-20-2009, 01:44 PM
I have a Gravely 260Z with a 25 HP Kawasaki. The problem is when the mower is running without blades engaged runs great. After engaging blades and putting it under a load it bogs terribly to the point of shutting off. It doen't miss or spit and sputter just loses power. I have exhausted everything from replacing all filters, cleaning carb.,changing all belts, hoses in both tanks, adjusting valves.

Two Seasons
08-20-2009, 07:18 PM
I have a Gravely 260Z with a 25 HP Kawasaki. The problem is when the mower is running without blades engaged runs great. After engaging blades and putting it under a load it bogs terribly to the point of shutting off. It doen't miss or spit and sputter just loses power. I have exhausted everything from replacing all filters, cleaning carb.,changing all belts, hoses in both tanks, adjusting valves.

Sounds like it's running on one (1) cylinder. Pull both plugs and see what you have.

Any oil issues?

Craig3
08-21-2009, 12:34 AM
read about a similar issue w/ a exmark powered by kaw.- turned out to be a bad solenoid

big_belly4ever
08-21-2009, 01:55 AM
check high end jet in carb unscrew low and high and see if anything is blocking high end jet my gas filter fell apart and a little piece I mean a little piece blocked the high end jet so when i engaged deck it would run high and lose power and go high once it got gas again. I had no Kawasaki dealer here, but i went to the johndeer dealer here some johndeers run Kawasaki motors.Guys helped me out just buy listening to my motor when i would ideal it down it ran fine when i gave it more gas she would run good then i say moan, then run fine they said check high end jet. told i have no clue whats in the carb or to take off they told take four screws of carb bring it to them in shop. I watched him unscrew them little jets and looked at them and couldn't believe that little piece would take out my mower. 10min time had it running fine again.

klowe224
08-21-2009, 09:56 AM
I pulled plug wires while engine was running and both cause it to run rough so I think that both cylinders are firing.

Checked compression with a tester niether one had any problem holding pressure but one held 40 FT/LBS and the other held 60. This seems weird to me and do not understand.

I am going to check the solenoid this afternoon.

Thanks guys this keeps me looking for new ideas.

Restrorob
08-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Looks like you need to re-check the valves, Perform a cylinder leak-down test to check both valve seats and rings. That engine should have over 100 lbs compression. It will never run right on 60/40.....

klowe224
08-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Found out the one of my mowers removed baffle from underneath deck. Will this cause not to discharge grass fast enough when I get in heavy grass in turn bogging down mower. I thought all a baffle does is create vacume hope I am wrong.