PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy quality compost

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-20-2009, 06:34 PM
I would like to explore topdressing more as a good upsell for my customers.

My only known source for compost is that which I can pick up in bulk from my county's compost sight, very reasonable price but is sometimes damp material so have to let dry out.

Where else can I get quality compost at a reasonable price? Who carries this?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Bump on this one guys - where do you buy your compost for topdressing?

pt03
08-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Why do you have to let it dry out? Is it a requirement for your applicator?

I make my own compost.

Now if a guy wanted a good source of compost, why not see if you can find a smaller farmer nearby that will custom make some for you? If he has manure and space, you have the additional raw materials, you might be able to make a deal with him.

Worth a shot maybe. I know if someone came up to me and offered to buy all mine, it wouldn't take much to come to a deal.

Lloyd

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Why do you have to let it dry out? Is it a requirement for your applicator?

I make my own compost.

Now if a guy wanted a good source of compost, why not see if you can find a smaller farmer nearby that will custom make some for you? If he has manure and space, you have the additional raw materials, you might be able to make a deal with him.

Worth a shot maybe. I know if someone came up to me and offered to buy all mine, it wouldn't take much to come to a deal.

Lloyd

Will your rolling topdresser apply semi-wet compost?

pt03
08-22-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure exactly what semi-wet would be.

I haven't had my compost tested so I do not know the moisture content of it but it is definately more than damp. It will form a ball when squeezed but there is no water dripping from it.

So far, (knock on wood :hammerhead:) the top dresser has handled it well from what I can tell.

Lloyd

kirk1701
08-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Had the same issue with my county's compost sight, hell I was actually TOLD their compost was made up of tree leaves picked up in city limits where homeowners rake the leaf's to the curb and the city comes by, picks up the leaves, broken bottles and candy wrapers :dizzy:

So I think to my self about one half second and come to the conclusion if it has broken glass, candy wrappers, its also got weeds in it.

I have however found a local mulch shop that has "top grade" organic compost shreaded to 1/2 inch I will be trying this fall.

Smallaxe
08-22-2009, 08:23 PM
... I have however found a local mulch shop that has "top grade" organic compost shreaded to 1/2 inch I will be trying this fall.

If it is not digested - it is not compost, no matter how small it is shredded.

kirk1701
08-22-2009, 11:50 PM
If it is not digested - it is not compost, no matter how small it is shredded.

The guy I have coming to do the aerating recommended them. So, I gave them a call seeing they were not in the phone book and all I had to look it up online (which I found strange). Anyhow, I asked the lady if they carried compost, after she said yes, explained how they sold it and all and I asked if it was weed free she said yes, she's never had any complaints so I'm taking her at her word.

Hmm,
Thanks Smallaxe, taking anyone at their word in this town is dangerous :laugh:

All joking aside, she said $35 per dozer scoop which I now forgot how many yards it was.

pt03
08-23-2009, 12:55 PM
If the material has been composted correctly (temperature over time with mixing and proper curing etc.) there ought not to be any seeds in it (weed or otherwise). There may be some that blew in or were carried in by birds but that number would be small. I can take a pile of my finished compost and let it sit moist in the sunshine and normally there are no sprouts.

I haven't advertised my compost either. It's word of mouth. As far as cost, large operators can often charge less for their product because of volume but they also tend to push the product through before it is ready. One local soil company has a contract with a feedlot and they don't compost that manure properly at all. Thus there are tons of weeds and unfinished materials in their product. My compost might be more expensive than a municipal compost but sometimes you get what you pay for.

IMO compost made with leaves, grass and varied garden plants is superior to compost made with shredded wood products. Wood/sawdust/paper does not have a lot of nutrients to add, it's just a carbon. Straw isn't much better. Manure is an excellent feedstock if it's composted correctly.

I'd ask the companies what the feedstock was for their compost and ask about their techniques to make it as well as the age of the compost.

Lloyd